zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Would bareknuckle do 808 active size?

No they do not. They will still work fine, but there will be a slight gap leftover. I personally would recommend getting the Lundgren M8 pickups which we also sell, and come in an EMG 808 size. They sound amazing.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Hey Nick I'm about to pick up a Aftermath/Cold Sweat combo in a trade for my D-Activator X's for a Schecter C-1 Classic. (5 piece maple-walnut neckthrough, rosewood board, mahogany wings, 25.5" scale, Drop A at the lowest)
I play a mix of jazz/stoner metal/death/psychadelia. Pod HD500 into a monitor.
Thoughts on how they will work in this situation, or perhaps another combo suited to my needs?
Tightness is a must, I like a full sound, but need to cut through reverb and effects. As well as sounds applicable for jazz.
Thanks man!

JMP2203

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
hey Nick can i get the blackhawk 7 set insted the 6string ones i ordered?

i can send you the 14 usd diference today, thanks

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
How are lundgrens in basswood?

Absolutely killer.

Hey Nick I'm about to pick up a Aftermath/Cold Sweat combo in a trade for my D-Activator X's for a Schecter C-1 Classic. (5 piece maple-walnut neckthrough, rosewood board, mahogany wings, 25.5" scale, Drop A at the lowest)
I play a mix of jazz/stoner metal/death/psychadelia. Pod HD500 into a monitor.
Thoughts on how they will work in this situation, or perhaps another combo suited to my needs?
Tightness is a must, I like a full sound, but need to cut through reverb and effects. As well as sounds applicable for jazz.
Thanks man!

I personally think the Aftermath is too bright for a maple neck-thru guitar, but it doesn't mean it won't sound fine with the right amp settings. Digital amps like the Axe-FX and POD are so much more forgiving than real amps, so it may work out okay. In a perfect world however, I may have recommended something different.

hey Nick can i get the blackhawk 7 set insted the 6string ones i ordered?

i can send you the 14 usd diference today, thanks

Sure, if we still have it. I'll double check.

AngstRiddenDreams

Filthy Casual
Reaction score
Actually I like bright sounding setups so long as I can get some balls out of it. I rocked an EMG 81/85 for years and as far as EQ goes I love those pickups. What would you say is more suited? Cuz I could always sell the Aftermath here and pick up a new bridge pup from you. I'd like to keep the Coldsweat neck, big fan of how smooth and clear it is.
Big fan of Converge type guitar tones.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Actually I like bright sounding setups so long as I can get some balls out of it. I rocked an EMG 81/85 for years and as far as EQ goes I love those pickups. What would you say is more suited? Cuz I could always sell the Aftermath here and pick up a new bridge pup from you. I'd like to keep the Coldsweat neck, big fan of how smooth and clear it is.
Big fan of Converge type guitar tones.

I wouldn't say the Aftermath has a ton of balls, at least not in a guitar like that. Its more about upper midrange snarl and crisp highs, ultra tight lows. I have the Aftermath in an all mahogany PRS and it sounds magical. In maple neck-thrus though, mixed results.

Personally I would go with the Blackhawk, Painkiller, or C-Warpig if given the choice.

SnowfaLL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I figured I'd post my latest BKP experiment, just in case anyone is still searching for reviews. I'm not a djent guy, Actually can't stand most of it, therefor I had major doubts about BKP after receiving my Carvin DC727 with Painkillers (koa/maple neck, swamp ash body, BE Maple fretboard) - It just sounded like garbage to me. I also found the Mother Milk Single coil set pretty bland, so I thought I was done with BKP's.

My First BKP was an Alnico Nailbomb in a RG7620, and it did sound pretty amazing, but that was 6 years ago. I assumed BKP still had some good pickups, just had to find the right ones for me, but its hard to justify the price when I wasnt sure if I'd be getting something awesome like the Nailbomb, or something blah like the Painkiller. I ended up finding a used Holy Diver / Cold Sweat combo for my 6 string Carvin (mahogany neckthru, maple board, alder sides) and decided to try it out at a lower cost.

Holy Diver was always the one that interested me/was recommended to me, they say its basically a Duncan JB but "better" all around, and I can confirm this. It has balls like a Duncan, but the tightness and singing-harmonic vibe of a Dimarzio. Very articulate and defined, which is different than a Duncan JB. I was surprised how tight it was actually, playing fast start/stop riffs and it cut fast. When you palm mute, the chunk is glorious! Very good for riffs that alternate between palm mute and un-palm mute, really drastic difference (in a good way) - Overall, Very impressed with this pickup. Its probably the best bridge pickup I've tried (although I need to try another Alnico Nailbomb again, I remember it being close.) - If someone asked me to explain the Holy Diver, I'd basically say think Megadeth but tighter.

The Cold Sweat will require another few weeks of testing before I decide between it and the Dimarzio Liquifire that I bought from zimbloth. The Liquifire has this unique cutting smoothness to it that no other pickup has. I like the Cold Sweat but its not taking over the throne yet. BKP neck pickups (least the CS and Aftermath) have such great evenness of strings and a kinda compressed-highend-dynamics (which I like for chords) where the Liquifire, while it sounds great, seems to just have some dynamic differences between strings. I'd love a mix of the two.

I'll probably buy Holy Diver's on all my upcoming guitars. Maybe an Alnico Nailbomb again just to compare the two to determine the absolute winner, but both are super versatile and wonderful sounding.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I figured I'd post my latest BKP experiment, just in case anyone is still searching for reviews. I'm not a djent guy, Actually can't stand most of it, therefor I had major doubts about BKP after receiving my Carvin DC727 with Painkillers (koa/maple neck, swamp ash body, BE Maple fretboard) - It just sounded like garbage to me. I also found the Mother Milk Single coil set pretty bland, so I thought I was done with BKP's.

My First BKP was an Alnico Nailbomb in a RG7620, and it did sound pretty amazing, but that was 6 years ago. I assumed BKP still had some good pickups, just had to find the right ones for me, but its hard to justify the price when I wasnt sure if I'd be getting something awesome like the Nailbomb, or something blah like the Painkiller. I ended up finding a used Holy Diver / Cold Sweat combo for my 6 string Carvin (mahogany neckthru, maple board, alder sides) and decided to try it out at a lower cost.

Holy Diver was always the one that interested me/was recommended to me, they say its basically a Duncan JB but "better" all around, and I can confirm this. It has balls like a Duncan, but the tightness and singing-harmonic vibe of a Dimarzio. Very articulate and defined, which is different than a Duncan JB. I was surprised how tight it was actually, playing fast start/stop riffs and it cut fast. When you palm mute, the chunk is glorious! Very good for riffs that alternate between palm mute and un-palm mute, really drastic difference (in a good way) - Overall, Very impressed with this pickup. Its probably the best bridge pickup I've tried (although I need to try another Alnico Nailbomb again, I remember it being close.) - If someone asked me to explain the Holy Diver, I'd basically say think Megadeth but tighter.

The Cold Sweat will require another few weeks of testing before I decide between it and the Dimarzio Liquifire that I bought from zimbloth. The Liquifire has this unique cutting smoothness to it that no other pickup has. I like the Cold Sweat but its not taking over the throne yet. BKP neck pickups (least the CS and Aftermath) have such great evenness of strings and a kinda compressed-highend-dynamics (which I like for chords) where the Liquifire, while it sounds great, seems to just have some dynamic differences between strings. I'd love a mix of the two.

I'll probably buy Holy Diver's on all my upcoming guitars. Maybe an Alnico Nailbomb again just to compare the two to determine the absolute winner, but both are super versatile and wonderful sounding.

I appreciate that excellent review. I would like to point out however, that it pains me greatly when people associate BKPs with "djent" stuff. While they have many models that excel for that style, the majority of their models just flat out sound amazing for ANY style of rock/metal. So your experience does not surprise me at all.

I have guitars with the Abraxas model tuned to A for crushing modern metal styles, and it works just as well as my other guitars with the Blackhawk, C-Nailbomb, Aftermath, etc which I also love. The Holydiver, Emerald, and Black Dog are also some of their best sounding pickups that sound great for just about anything, including djent/"progressive metal".

PS: The Aftermath neck model is by far my least favorite neck offering BKP has, IMO. If you like the Liquifire, you should look into the Emerald neck, VH2 neck, or Holydiver neck and you'll be happy. The Cold Sweat neck is nice but not as juicy or liquidy as I (or you) like. The Holydiver set or Holydiver/VH2 combo is always a winner.

SnowfaLL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yea. I know BKP does more than djent, but since the only place I've ever really heard of them was on these forums, its understandable why I would have that assumption early on. Reading BKP's forums, it is clearly directed towards the general rock crowd (well, obviously also with the pickup names)

I switched back to the Liquifire and like it much better than the Cold Sweat. I may try out the Emerald or HD neck someday soon on a different guitar. I will say, one of the best parts of having the HD / Liquifre combo is the middle positions, blended they sound REALLY good.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
ANNOUNCEMENT

Really excited to announce that Bare Knuckle Pickups has released a new single-coil sized humbucker: the Cobra! These are available to order now on our website: Bare Knuckle Single-Coil Strat Replacement Pickups | The Axe Palace.

We're really excited about this and have been waiting for a long time for BKP to release a humbucker in single-coil size, as most other rail single coils leave a lot to be desired. The Cobra would naturally pair up great with the Blackhawk humbucker (or any of BKP's medium/high output pickups) in an HSS/HSH setup, or of course as a calibrated set in your favorite Strat style style guitar.

Here is BKP's official description of the Cobra:

"The Cobra is your answer to high gain, single coil tone without compromising dynamics or frequency response.

With the Cobra you get the radical look and construction of the Black Hawk humbucker but the Cobra coils are very much true single coil pickups. Each pair of uniquely annealed nickel plated steel blades are powered by a pair of custom size ceramic magnets ensuring an even string-to-string balance of magnetism for optimum driving of the coil windings. These pickups may be single coil by design but they play with all the output of a humbucker. Despite having massive amounts of power on tap, the emphasis is firmly on dynamic response for a precise and expressive tone.

The frequency response is surprisingly balanced for a high output coil set; the bass notes track precisely with plenty of snap and mids are smooth while retaining a lot of punch. High end response is extremely articulate and remains clear as you roll off the volume pot for exceptional clean tones.

The Cobra is designed to replace any standard size Strat style single coil. They are available in 6 and 7 string formats as a fully calibrated trio or as individual coils for use in HSH or HSS formats."

To order the Cobra click here: Bare Knuckle Single-Coil Strat Replacement Pickups | The Axe Palace.

pic28.jpg

pott

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Maybe I'm lost here; the Cobra is, according to the website, a true single coil.
Is this not the case, based on the post above? Having twin-blade does not a humbucker make...

Reaction score
Hey nick, can you please check your email, sent a few about the Dimarzio order. Cheers.

lorguitarist

Legions Of Raum
Reaction score
Nick,

Recommendations for the Schecter KM-7? You were right, I hate the Nazgul.....mud city.

It's for drop Ab through a Line 6 POD HD Pro X. Metal/prog with defined single notes and fluid passages. Dare I say it.......Djent type

I have Juggs in a LTD MH-417 with the same tuning and I absolutely love the tone I get. I also have PKs in my other 7 and my 6 but I think It'll probably be too bright in the KM-7.

Thanks bro