Fryette Power Station vs Fryette 2/50/2 for Axe Fx/Kemper/Pod

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by demorior, Feb 12, 2016.

1. demorior

demorior SS.org Regular

Hey there.

I know a lot of you guys are big fans of the 2/50/2 and was just wondering if
    anyone has tried a Power Station with their modeler.

The 2/50/2 being more than twice the price is there any reason why i shouldn't just get the power station?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

It's mono, compared to the 2502's stereo output, so that's one thing the 2502 has over the Power Station.

The Power Station is much more flexible, thogh. Although you won't make use of those features unless you have a real amp or two.

3. demorior

demorior SS.org Regular

ah ok that makes sense. yeah the power station just seems like such a steal i couldn't think of any reason why i'd choose the 2/50/2 over it. even though it's mono it looks like you can still run it out to 2x cabs, correct?

4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Yeah, it can run two speakers, but it'll be your standard dual-mono setup as if you were using a traditional amp.

5. demorior

demorior SS.org Regular

cool. that's perfect for me. i appreciate the help!

6. ovlott

ovlott SS.org Regular

I had a 2/50/2 for a while and used it with my old HD Pro when I had them both. I have to say the 2/50/2 is a great power amp, and helped with some sick tones through a cab. The half power option (the level button) is pretty useful for going between home/practice and gig volumes. If you plan on using solely a modeler then I'd suggest the 2/50/2. But if you've got a couple tube amps kicking around, then the power station would be more useful overall.

7. theoctopus

theoctopus 乇レ 刀uᄊ乇尺o u刀o

I have the power station, and I can't recommend it enough. I bought it with the intention of powering my AFX2 with the bonus of attenuating amps, but haven't turned on my AFX2 in months. The attenuation is just so, so good that it makes very powerful tube amps completely usable at bedroom volumes.

8. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Also worth considering that the Kemper flat-out sounds better through an FRFR setup :2c: The Power Station, while tube, is flat response so if those are what you're considering for a Kemper I would go power station -> FRFR cab

9. demorior

demorior SS.org Regular

that's kind of what i thought. it doesn't seem like the kemper is as power amp + cab friendly as an axe fx is.

10. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

I've used the Fryette Power Station, in fact I own two of then, they are not cheap I believe I speant US$1600.00 per unit - including shipping and import taxes, but after lots of searching, demoing and A and B'ing many many different amp attenuators it was and still is the only one I have found and been able to find that doesn't suck your tone, so in that regard I see it as money well spent and worth every cent of what they cost - when I bought mine there was no U.K distributor so I had to import my pair directly from Fryette. As for the Fryette 2/50/2 for Axe Fx/Kemper/Pod I've no experience with it, I'm in the camp that firmly believes modeling amps and their technology is the work of the Devil, and just not Rock'N'Roll, I've never heard a modeling amp come close to sounding like the amp it is meant to be emulating, I find they always seem to sound thin, nasaly and tinny, but that's just my personal view, others may find they prefer the sound of modeling amps over the real thing, after all it is subjective and down to personal taste at the end of the day.