From what year is this ESP Horizon and how much it worth?

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by venndi, Nov 19, 2018.

1. venndi

venndi SS.org Regular

Hi!

I found this at my local music shop, there is no serial number, the guy is the store don't know from what year is this Horizon, but Im sure its old. What do you think, how much money should I spent for this guitar?

i-img1200x1200-1542642676vwc20i6624.jpg
    i-img1200x1200-1542642676f4eojd6624.jpg i-img1200x1200-1542642676f5ghxm6624.jpg i-img1200x1200-1542642676fstc3z6624.jpg i-img1200x1200-1542642676n67tw56624.jpg i-img1200x1200-1542642676nltfmx6624.jpg i-img1200x1200-1542642676r53j9a6624.jpg i-img1200x1200-1542642677b7wyip6624.jpg

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I'm thinking early 90's, like between 91' and 94', and given the going rate for stuff in that range and the condition here (not good), I'd say somewhere around $400.

I'm not an ESP expert though.

3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Earlier than that, the ESP licensed Floyd can be seen from 1988 if I'm correct. If mint those can reach 1200-1500 depending on the color, the one in your pics is completely destroyed though, I wouldn't buy it at all. Salvaging the trem would require way too much work.

4. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

Another vote on late 80s. If that top mount can fit a Floyd it'd be worth more to me. It looks sick though, maple FB is killer. It's beat to shit and could use a refinish unless you don't mind. A few years ago, probably would go for $500-600 US, but ESP is up considerably right now. That condition, I wouldn't pay more than $600-700 depending on structural damage and how easily that trem can be swapped.
    That said, that damage on the backend looks considerable. Also the way the fretboard is worn makes it look more like this guitar has been just abused instead of worn in.
    I had a 92 MII with a worn Kahler Spyder bridge. One of the best sound guitars I've ever owned, but dealing with swapping or routing it? Too much hassle/money.

5. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I like how your local music shop put zero effort into making it presentable. :lol:

Korneo likes this.
  6. MaxOfMetal

What were they supposed to do? Refinish it, refret it and replace the hardware? :lol:

It actually looks like they gave it a cleaning (no dust in the nooks and crannies, no fret gunk).

7. Gerin

Gerin SS.org Regular

That is a Late 80's ESP Horizon. With the trem in the condition it is and the rest of the guitar you will not see much. The only luck you might have with cleaning up the trem is trying to swap out a few parts from a Floyd, your simply not going to find parts for that trem. I have the same model just the Horizon Custom version the pic above my name. When I last had some fret work done I had the place look up the Blue Book value on mine and it was around $1400, granted mine is in considerably better condition and the higher end model so the $400 range may be pretty realistic.

Just a guess about this and perhaps you can try and confirm it. Have you found a serial number? Check under your pickups and you might find it written with pencil. That is where my serial is hidden on mine.

8. mehegama

mehegama SS.org Regular

Is your local music shop in Japan?
    The condition is very bad and it would need significant work. Also not showing the point of the headstock is a bit worrying. The bridge is in very bad condition too and it s very very hard to find sinclair parts so I d say not a lot at all.

9. ittoa666

ittoa666 /)'3'(\

Looks like it's not worth much, but I'd buy it. An old ESP would be a perfect project guitar. I'd offer $200 or, and this is a strong maybe, $300.

10. Slaeyer

Slaeyer SS.org Regular

Damn, what happened to that lovely horizon.
    I'd also say it might be worth something around 300-400 Euro.

Have a look here: https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/esp-horizon/965640489-74-8105
    I know a German site, but that's a similar Horizon with HS and the ESP Sinclair trem.
    The guitar is not that beaten up as yours and the guy is expecting around 700 € for it. Still 700 is way too much IMHO.

11. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I’ve seen much better. They could have done more, IMO.

12. MaxOfMetal

But what exactly? This guitar is a basketcase.

There are a few things they could have done to hide some of the more glaring issues, but that would have been more dishonest than anything else.

As already mentioned, there's little you can do with the bridge sort of full replacement. The gouges to the finish are going to be nearly impossible to hide given the metallic flake in the finish. Polishing the frets would have just hidden how worn they are.

I suppose they could have replaced the pickup screws. :lol:

Something this beat should probably be photographed as harshly as possible so someone doesn't buy it with outsized expectations as to the condition.

Ordacleaphobia likes this.
  13. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

Personally, I honestly wouldn't even bother. It looks like it's about to break apart and the bridge too looks like it's gonna disintegrate into a pile of rust. That crack at the back doesn't look like a finish crack, more like the wings just falling apart being held together by what remains of the finish.

I know, I know....eeeee essss ppeeeee....hhhhnnngg. Fuck it, there has to be a limit on what's acceptable no matter what the headstock says. That's just me though. *shrug*

14. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

^Exactly that. What bothers me the most is the wings falling apart from the central piece of maple of the neck... that is just... well... I would never buy a guitar in that condition.

15. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I was going to say, "unless it's a stupendous bargain, run away," but I'm not even sure what price would make that a bargain. That's a lot of shit to fix with a repair cost that is better parlayed into a model in better condition at the outset.

16. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

It’s a project for sure but if the price was good I’d snag it.

17. MaxOfMetal

Yeah, this is definitely in the "luthier project" category and not the "fun project for a novice" one.

I'm seeing at least $700 in work needed and that's assuming those cracks on either side of the neck block are non-issues.

Zhysick likes this.
  18. feraledge

feraledge Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?

It’s sad to see this abuse. That Horizon was a thing of beauty. I think it’s time for Valhalla.
    [​IMG]

Ordacleaphobia and Demiurge like this.
  19. Element0s

Element0s Low Fantasy/Black Denim

What a shame! I don't see a lot of Horizons that I like but this would have been one. Would be a great project for an experienced luthier though. With a bit of time/money investment you could make a great road dog out of that guitar assuming it plays well and isn't too fucked

20. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Shameless Contrarian

Yeah I actually had the opposite reaction, I thought "Damn, fair play to the shop for showing all the close-ups. They really wanted to make sure nobody got in over their heads on this one."

I thought it was a good move. No use polishing a turd :shrug: