From six string to seven? is it worth it tomove up?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by jon garrido, Jan 16, 2014.

1. jon garrido

jon garrido Member

2. noUser01

noUser01 Still can't play.

Nope, totally not worth it. We all did it because it's not worth it, we like to be bored, we enjoy pain, and it generally makes your life harder. ;)

Depends man, honestly. Try one out in the store and see what happens. Maybe you'll see why we like 7's and see new possibilities, maybe you'll just see an extra string and find that it doesn't really benefit you to play 7's. Maybe you're fine with 6 and that does the trick for you. The only way to tell is to go try one out. :)

3. Njaton

Njaton Well-Known Member

I agree with the previous post! Try one out and see if you like it, you never know. I definitely prefer sevens, I also know a lot of people who just don't care for them. But, remember your on sevenstring.org so we may be a little biased :lol:

4. Vrollin

Vrollin SS.org Regular

I had always wanted a 7, never bit the bullet on one though, finally got my first at christmas and Im already looking at selling off one of my 6's to fund another 7 string :)

5. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

All personal preference. I'll echo everyone else and say that you should try one out if you have the chance to see how you like it. The increased range that comes with a seven string can certainly be beneficial to some, but isn't necessarily for everyone.

6. Daf57

Daf57 5 7s in 4ths

^ All good advice!

I never really thought of it as a "worth" question. If you would like to give it a try do so - no real risk or danger involved. I bet you will love it! ;) :yesway:

7. ibanice

ibanice SS.org Regular

It really depends on the kind of music you want to play. I moved from 6 to 7 strings some year ago, but then little more than two years ago i moved back to a 6 stringer again. I began to miss the 6 string for some strange reason, but I moved to a 7 string because I was really into dream thater and I wanted to be able to play more of their songs (Many are written with a 7 string) and now I miss to be able to play those songs. besides that I have a reasonable sized hand and I found it somewhat more comfortable to play on a 7 string guitar because it's a little wider. But once again it depends on the kind of music yiu like to play and besides that you can always play the old songs you play on a 6 string.

8. smfcbow

smfcbow SS.org Regular

When you try it, get a decent 7 string. I hated 7 strings the first time I bought one, but it turns out I didn't hate 7 strings I just hated THAT 7 string. After getting a MIJ RG7421, which is pretty cheap and damn good. I loved 7 strings.

9. Mike

Mike The Traveler

I will say what should be the motto of this forum. The more strings, the better. Get a 7.

10. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

Lets look to history through and apply theoretical mathematics to ascertain the proper course of action here.

Exhibit A:
    [​IMG]

Exhibit B:
    [​IMG]

So as we can see from a purely historical perspective:

Amount of Jesus-ness (x) is ∝ (Directly proportional) to the amount of strings (y) you play with.

x∝y

In layman's terms "X increases as Y increases"

Concordantly, amount of Nazi-tude (f) is inversely proportional to amount of strings played (y).

or

f is directly proportional to 1/y

which can be written as f=k/y

Summarily, buy a 7 string or you're going to piss off Morgan Freeman.

[​IMG]

Hope this helps you decide!

11. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

it comes down to if you need to play low notes and higher notes for your style of music.

12. MetalElitist

MetalElitist Banned

13. jon garrido

jon garrido Member

I like to play I guess you could say, "Djent" or math metal. Whatever it is.
    But I've been playing in a weird tuning to get that seven string sound out of a six string,
    It's
    A
    G
    C
    F
    A
    D
    It pretty weird but it works, but I've had a lot of people tell why not just get a seven,
    But eh. I feel that the seven string is over used in this genre.

14. jon garrido

jon garrido Member

This Is so great!

15. lemniscate

lemniscate Banned

I liked using D#, but I want to play stuff in A#. A 7 string allows me to do both. If you've got a practical reason, "yes." If you're just buying one, because it has an extra string, "no." I've come across a kid that went from a 6 to 8 strings, because of djent. He can barely fret the neck. And a kid that bought a 7, as his first guitar. He sold it.

16. decreebass

decreebass ...Mulva?

I actually ONLY bought a 7-string to not piss off Morgan Freeman.

I even had a couple 8s along the way (still have & love my DC800 in my avatar) in my ERG journey but I always find myself coming back to my 7s. I never play my 6s anymore except for my acoustic; and even then if I could find a good acoustic 7 I wouldn't play my current one. So there you have it. It's easy and practical to go to a 7 - they are simply the best thing to happen to any guitar with more than 6 strings but less than 8.:shred::shred:

17. Svava

Svava Djento ergo sum

I pretty much live life in such a way that I avoid pissing off Morgan Freeman in everything that I do. Good Philosophy is Good. xD

OP: If you understand kind of what a 7 string is/ what it allows you to do I'd say go get it.

As long as you realize that it is just a 6 string with a bit of added range that facilitates different voicing and such- then it's just a matter of comfort.

I prefer the feel of a 7 string even when I'm playing 6 string stuff or jazz or whatever I'm playing- and I appreciate the extra range and the additional mobility that the 7th string provides.

Go find one you like, buy it, and be in the good graces of Morgan Freeman xD I don't think you'll regret it (unless you get a crappy one).

Do be careful of that- sometimes bad wood combinations or pickups will result in a really flubby low end and you'll just resent the hell out of that 7th string, I had a guitar like that once. But as long as it is a sound guitar it'll do you good.

18. UV7BK4LIFE

UV7BK4LIFE Schecter A7 addict

How many people have told you "why not just tune to drop A" ?

19. ScurrilousNerd

ScurrilousNerd SS.org Regular

I've used that tuning for about a half a year now, and just recently got a 7 (tuned GAGCFAD), now the G isn't necessarily the most useful thing in the world, but I found that the extended scale (26.5) has helped with the tension of the low A, so that might be something you should consider. Or just get a baritone 6

20. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

^What Scurrilous said.A baritone six may be what you're looking for.Play a baritone six and a seven,and see which one you like more.Either way,an extended scale may be beneficial for your tuning....