FRFR Alto Alternative

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ghostred7, Sep 25, 2013.

1. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

Still debating on whether or not to re-speaker my cab and stay with the HD100 --> cab or forget the HD100 and go PodHD Pro --> FRFR

That being said....aside from Alto and the TS112/115 models...what would you recommend from other brands for FRFR? Unfortunately, where I have credit right now doesn't carry Alto

Or should I just keep the head --> cab and re-speaker.

I realized I've asked a similar question before, but didn't want to search/resurrect a really old thread...that and I'm actually ready to move on it this time.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

My Peavey PVX 12 is pretty awesome with my GR5 rig. At $350 it isn't going to break the bank either. I'd probably upgrade to the PVX 15 to add to the PVX 12 or go with a pair of one or the other if planning on gigging without PA support. They're plenty loud, but just don't move the air like a standard 4x12, none of the FRFR I've tried have.

I went with the PVX 12 because it was on sale as a scratch and dent (very small scuff on the top of it) for close to 40% off and didn't seem to function any less efficiently than the Yamaha DSR112 or QSC K12 they had to compare it to.

3. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

Those are the ones I had up on the site when I posted this thread :p

Ever have any issues with the low-end on "below-E" tunings? I know the range starts around 60hz.

If going with only 1 for practice space/small indoor gigs...which would you recommend...the 12 or 15?

4. ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX OMNIHILITY

Where is your credit, and how much do you have? Its a bummer they dont carry Alto, as mine have served me very well.

5. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

Credit's @ Sweetwater. Have ~$500 (i'd have to log in to check)

6. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Handles the low B on my 5 and 6 string basses just fine. Lacks some of the punch, but those notes can be hard to reproduce on nearly any gear.

My 8 in F does just fine.

7. Chuck

Chuck SS.org Regular

I would go 12" over 15". My 12" Alto was great

8. BeyondDan

BeyondDan Beyond Fiction

I got a Samson Auro D415 and it does the job pretty well at the same price as Alto's and it endles the low B and A# perfectly!!

9. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

I just found out i'm getting a small settlement from my wreck I wasn't expecting. Due to this, I should have the cash in-hand to go to GC and purchase the Alto. So I guess I'll probably be doing the TS112A since the general consensus here is to go w/ the 12" of the recommendations. If they have the Peavey or Samson on-hand, I will probably give those a try. I will be taking my Pod & Axe to test it

10. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

take it from me... 15 is over kill. When I ran my POD though the Alto TS115a, it could pretty easily match the volume of my half stack.

now that I have an amp again, I just use it for a vocal monitor.

11. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

Thx for the input all. I went to GC. They are remodeling so are offloading a lot of floor models. While overkill...they had the 15 for cheaper than the 12. I got the TS115W. I hope it's not a screw up. Didn't have my stuff with me. Even with compressed to shit mp3/soundcloud via Bluetooth sounded good.

12. MatthewLeisher

MatthewLeisher Ghostmaker

I used the TS115A with my axe fx and it worked great. I definitely wouldn't call it overkill.

13. macgruber

macgruber cat enthusiast

when i gave the 12" and 15" an A/B test i found the 15" have a more present sub-bass frequency response. it was quite rumbly with the settings the pod compared to the 12". that being said, it just requires a little more tweaking to keep the low end in check because its producing those low frequencies more than the smaller speakers.

14. Matx

Matx Ninja

I've owned the 12" and the 15" alto models.. although the 12 didn't have that boomy bass response issue, I still think I like the 15"s tone better for guitar.. maybe the crossovers are at a different frequency or something. Anyway... I now use the 15's as part of my PA.. they're definitely better for electronic music than the 12's... to my ears anyway.