Fretboard Shrinkage: What to do?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by Grand Moff Tim, Feb 15, 2014.

1. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I can understand you don't want to file the ball ends flat. I suppose you might have to re-round the ends ...

I mean I can see the ends sticking out but it can't be by much. I'm surprised that the round ends tear up your fingers so much.

2. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Dunno what counts as an arm and a leg when it comes to this stuff, but a fret rounding/dressing costs ~$30 at my local tech. That can't be too much more than what a file would cost me + the time and effort to find a hardware store in the city nearest me and trying to communicate what I need to someone with whom I don't share a language.

3. Grand Moff Tim

Only the top of the fret is nice and rounded like that. The bottom is like a sharpened spoon :lol:.

4. Mordacain

Mordacain 1-watt brigadier

Wow. Same thing in my neck of the woods is about $120 for work that isn't even on-par with my amateur work.

5. skeels

skeels ..to pay the beels

I use a small flat rectangular sharpening stone for fret edges and it works really well. A fine grit one shouldn't tear up the binding on your fretboard as much as a file and they should be relatively easy to find.

6. Grand Moff Tim

The benefits of living somewhere with a low Cost of Living :lol:.

7. Given To Fly

Given To Fly Contributor

It's $20 in my neck of the woods and it happens to every single guitar that isn't in a humidity controlled room 24/7. I use multiple case humidifiers for my classical guitars which works pretty well. I should probably add a case humidifier to my electric guitars too. :idea:

8. Le Jeff

Le Jeff SS.org Regular

I guess "single mill file" sounds specific, but it isn't fancy. It's any flat rectangular file that only has the teeth cut one way, like so:

[​IMG]

Normally they have plastic handles but you can just pull them off to make the file easier to use on a guitar neck.

I guess everyone's time is worth something different to them, but I own 6 guitars and like to change a few of them up every so often and hardware stores are more common than techs. I've saved that $30 dozens of times over with an $8 file and a trip to a hardware store. YMMV, of course. I should also mention I bought a $15 file from Stu Mac for doing fret ends up all nice and fancy-like. It really helped me satisfy my OCD need for nice frets however, I've since lost that file and just recently moved from somewhere humid to somewhere not. Half of my guitars have needed work since I've been here and they're all perfectly playable with nothing but an $8 file at my disposal.

9. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

*Bump* for info: Ikea Skydd is cheap and very useful. It's basic mineral oil with no added nonsense and it comes in bottles that'll last a looooong time.

10. AVH

AVH avhguitarrepair.com Forum MVP

An arm and a leg? Dude, really? I charge $30 to do end dressing. :lol: Just simply raking a mill file down the side of the neck to level them off is only the easy first part..so then what about the sharp edges of the newly beveled ends? Is your completely inappropriate mill file going to smooth those off? No. And did the mill file leave any slight marks on the neck that also need to be sanded out? Likely a little yes. And what about the knowledge and proper tooling to restore those nice 'semi-hemi' ends, and then polish them off properly back to the original spec and appearance. These aspects take time, experience, and more work that how you're making it seem, so perhaps you may want to rethink those statements a little bit. ;)