Fretboard Concerns

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by JustinRhoads1980, Apr 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. JustinRhoads1980

JustinRhoads1980 Jackson Elitist

Hey guys I was hoping you could help me find the answer to a question I have regarding my fretboard.

So I clean my fretboards every other string change (or if they even get really gross) and I use lemon oil on my boards along with gorgomyte on them aswell. I have four guitars currently and they have all been treated the same in regards to fretboard treatment, but my Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid seems to have this issue where the board gets sticky or has a lot of resistance if that seems to make sense.

It seems that the guitar always seems to either pick up fretboard gunk really fast or does not come off as easily as I thought I would. Is there any suggestions on how to cure this at all as it kind of has an impact on my playing. This guitar has an ebony board and my 3 other guitars do aswell so I am a bit confused as to the culprit of the issue at hand. I don't sweat either in my hands so this also concerns me as to how this issue seems to persist.

Pics down below

2. JustinRhoads1980

20200404_104940.jpg 20200404_104954.jpg 20200404_105003.jpg 20200404_105012.jpg 20200404_105016.jpg 20200404_105023.jpg

I had just previously cleaned this fretboard about 2-3 weeks ago. I dont play the guitar as much as my others and they dont have the same issues as this one. Its like it has a white gunk coating on it which is fuckin bizarre as hell to me.

Any thoughts or ways to cure this? I love this guitat but this is really taking a toll on playability

3. Dumple Stilzkin

Dumple Stilzkin Special needs member

Stop oiling it. You’re overdoing it, as far as how to reverse it someone else can give you a better idea.

JustinRhoads1980 likes this.
  4. JustinRhoads1980

How often should the use the oil along with how often should I use the gorgomyte?

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Clean the board with naphtha and a clean, dry lint free cloth.

Oil with mineral oil. Saturate a clean, dry lint free cloth, rub down board. Let sit for between one and three hours, wipe clean with another clean, dry lint free cloth, use two if needed.

Frequency will depend significantly on climate, use, and your overall cleanliness before playing.

Typically, with light to moderate playing in a climate controlled room, you'll be looking at cleaning every other string change, light oiling as needed, sometimes every other cleaning.

failsafe likes this.
  6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I'd say before putting anything on maybe take a pick and scrape of the gunk there. Then wipe all the residue off and then put the Naptha on and clean even deeper.

7. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Toothbrush for gunk.

Edika likes this.
  8. JustinRhoads1980

I had done this last time when i did a restring 3 weeks ago. Seems to have been ineffective.

Could I also take some scotch brite pads and use those and go up in grit or is that risky?

9. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter ... drifting...

3M makes a grey "Scotchbrite" pad that's available online and in some hardware stores. IMO you can use the grey pads ( and the finer completely nonabrasive white to bring out even more of a gloss) But please do NOT use the green Scotchbrite pads that you see at the grocery store. They're too abrasive and can cause damage to some boards/ finishes.

10. MaxOfMetal

You really shouldn't need a stronger abrasive than fabric unless you're working on something really gross. Let the naphtha do it's job.

JustinRhoads1980 and c7spheres like this.
  11. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

- You're probably putting to much oil on like everyone's saying. I use Guitar Honey by Gerlitz. It works great. Gets the gunk off and doesn't leave any film behind that later becomes gunk.
    - I live in AZ, an extremely dry environement, and keeping the guitar indoors in an air conditioned and heated room I only have to do it once a year, but I tend to do it 3-4 times a year just because. Just a light coat. Using a heavy coat and steel wool will work good. There's instruction they give onteh bottle. That's what your guitar needs, but it's a mess. Max awhile ago was talking about some micro mesh or something which looks like a great alternative.
    - I really don't ever have gunk issues. My guitar stays really clean no matter how much I play it. I think it's because after every time I play it I wipe it down with a few micro fiber cloths. One for the body and back of neck, one for the hardware, and one specifically for the strings and fret board, and one for my hands. You gotta be careful with micro fibers not to use the one for strings on the body. It will collect little string particles and scratch your finish. I learned that the hard way on one of my black rg-7620's. Same goes for computer monitor screen etc. Only use one specific coth for stuff like that.

12. JustinRhoads1980

I have that learned that the hard way aswell. Have some swirling going on with the guitars.

I mean shit is real sticky my dude. Also what are mineral spirits???

c7spheres likes this.
  13. MaxOfMetal

It's sticky because of the junk stuck in the oil layer. Once that's properly removed it should be fine.

Mineral spirits is basically paint thinner. I find it doesn't work nearly as well as naphtha. In a pinch it can work, but is not ideal.

JustinRhoads1980 and c7spheres like this.