Fret ends on new Prestige guitars?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Speedy!, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Sadly, Rich is currently out of commission for an undetermined period (from a hand injury it seems). If you want to order one of his package, you might have to wait a little while.

2. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

Not too start any more of a debate but this thread is exactly why I keep sticking with ESP. The fretwork is usually one of if not the best out there. There should be no need to send a $1500+ guitar that's new out of the box to a luthier to make it playable.

3. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

If you look at the Ibanez website they tell you which guitars come with fret edge treatment or not. It's like a featured product to them.

4. aesthyrian

aesthyrian SS.org Regular

I get that rounded fret ends look cool.. but that's about it. Do they really make you guys play better? A good fret job is all that's needed, rounded frets are more decoration than anything, IMO. Decoration that only the player will ever notice or care about, so rather pointless in that regard. School me if I'm misunderstanding something here.

trem licking likes this.
  5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

All the 652s i have played, regardless of the fretboard material have been fantastic. The maple board one my buddy has actually has the best i have seen on a production guitar in that price range.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    The906 likes this.
  6. trem licking

trem licking SS.org Regular

have the fret ends changed at all since the early 2000s ibbies? if not, its about as good as you're gonna get on any production guitar

7. Church2224

Church2224 Guitar Whore

I played a couple 550 Reissues lately and they have been perfectly Fine. Honestly the best bang for your buck out there.

I also got one of the RG752's from Killerburst in Roadflare Red and that thing is killer. I think they might have fixed the issues.

aesthyrian likes this.
  8. DCM_Allan

DCM_Allan Sol Invictus

Buy your prestige from Ibanez Rules. Rich will make sure that you get your dreamed RG752
    PD He's not available by now until he feels better, however waiting a bit more will worth the waiting time.

Musiscience and aesthyrian like this.
  9. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Haven't had any issues amongst the 5 Prestiges I purchased last year new from the dealer (however none of them had maple boards so can't comment on that).

10. bzhang9

bzhang9 SS.org Regular

Every brand has lemons, even the best luthiers can put out a lemon.

Prestige has a great track record with fretwork, they might not have the roundest ends but I've gotten lower action on prestiges more consistently than any other brand regardless of price

11. chargrilled

chargrilled SS.org Regular

I had a Prestige before was really surprised with the fret ends, felt exactly like my previous 7 an Indonesian Munky Apex 2 signature which was almost half the price

12. 7stringDemon

7stringDemon SS.org Regular

I think you need to get your frets done somewhere else dude. They're pretty and shiny and all, but those edges are unreasonable. They brought that end angle WAY too close to the strings.

13. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

I’m a heavy handed player and can’t play the older 66mm ibanez necks without the high E slipping off but I had zero problems with this guitar because the wide fretboard allows it. It’s the way the Schecter custom shop rounds fret ends and imo it’s a much better way of doing ends. You can’t feel them in anywaybjt there is still no slippage for the outer strings.