Fret Buzz/Gauge Question

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by SnoozyWyrm, Nov 9, 2013.

1. SnoozyWyrm

SnoozyWyrm SS.org Regular

Hello knowledgeable people!

Yesterday I received my Loomis FR 7string from the guitar tech (second one I visited). However I like this guitar I can't make it sound good at the 7th string. The first technician due to radii issues (nut radius and fretboard didnt exactly match) left it with high action (and still much buzzing). At the second guy I visited I stupidly didn't plug in the guitar (someone else was busy making noise at the moment) and though the action and tension (64 for the 7th normal 10s the rest) is pretty good the damn 7th string keeps buzzing.

The buzzing is noticeable while playing through isolating headphones (so I am not hearing the guitar acoustically). When playing clean it's transmitted as it sounds unplugged "DINGtzzzzzzz" It's less noticeable with gain but it really kills the fundamental (and then sounds dull) when you let the notes ring more than 1 second. Which all sucks donkey balls.

I am starting to get a bit desperate (and paying more and more seems less and less appealing right now). There are no dead frets (I checked all frets 3 by 3 to see) and the buzzing is more prominent the heavier the pick attack is. Could it need fretwork done? There is some slight buzzing on the 6th string (but not noticeable amplified) and the rest of the strings play flawlessly.

Should I try raising the floyd from the bass-side till the buzz stops? It's already tilted that way a bit.

PS: If only someone had a plek-machine in my country

Thanks for reading :wavey:

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

What tuning are you in?

3. SnoozyWyrm

G# D# G# C# F# A# d# :hbang:

4. BIG ND SWEATY

BIG ND SWEATY Edgy

up that .064 to a .070 and raise your action a bit and you should be good to go:yesway:

5. SnoozyWyrm

So a 70 should do the trick you think (even if the guitar is 26,5 scale :O )?

Should I upsize the 6th string as well (it's a little buzzy as well)?

And should I raise the overall action or only the bass side of the floyd?

6. Pom Towell

Pom Towell SS.org Regular

You really shouldn't need more than 10s for that tuning. Does it consistently buzz through the whole range or the neck of just the middle? If it buzzes all over, you may have to just raise the action or give mor neck relief at the truss rod. I personally level the frets on every guitar I get for a precision factor and peace of mind but that's just me.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

The 64 gauge is your problem since its much lower tension than the others:

D4# .010" dapl == 15.6
    A3# .013" dapl == 14.8
    F3# .017" dapl == 15.9
    C3# .026" danw == 17.7
    G2# .036" danw == 18.8
    D2# .046" danw == 16.8
    G1# .064" danw == 14.7

You can see its not even 15lbs so it has a lot of room to move about causing it to buzz. It would be the equivalent of using a 42 instead of your 46.

Like what the guys said above a 68 or 70 would solve most of the problem.

You could go up to a 48 gauge if you want. Yes you will gave to raise the action slightly or lower it since the string will be tighter and you will have less buzz.

There comes a point you just find a nice balance of buzz and playability. All guitars buzz if you pick hard enough. If its not chocking notes or coming through the amp then its fine.