Franken7 project

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Iron1, Jun 13, 2019 at 6:39 AM.

1. Iron1

Iron1 Old School Blacksmith

I picked up a Jackson JS22-7 for dirt cheap so I could mod it/screw around with finish techniques and overall just have something to scratch the itch when I wanted to make a change, instead of screwing with my main guitars.

It's the one on the far right:
    [​IMG]

Since two of my favorite guitar finishes are teh transparent white KM-7 and the black & white EVH Frankenstrat, I thought maybe I could marry the two designs somehow.

Took it apart and figured I'd tape it off first just to get an idea of what it might turn into.
    [​IMG]

Since I figured this looked okay, I started down a rabbit hole and sanded it out a bit.

[​IMG]

Then I found some white paint with a grey undertone to it and used the dry-brush technique I posted about on here a while back.

[​IMG]

After that I found some clear coat to apply

I'd originally intended to pull the pickups, block in the neck hole and finish over it, but I was so far down the rabbit hole with the dry brush/stripe thing I decided to just leave it stock until I get my hands on an upgraded bridge pickup.

Now I'm working on the back of the neck. Found a black stain and want to black the neck out, but allow the wood grain to still show thru. At first attempt, I got less than desired results, so I'm going to need to sand on it a bit and try again.

I'll post more pix as the project progresses.

Zanmato86 and Louis Cypher like this.
  2. ExplorerMike

ExplorerMike 60% of the time...it works every time.

Pretty cool man! I’ve got a JS22-7 also and have been thinking about doing something like this to it and another LTD I have. Keep us updated with progress!

Iron1 likes this.
  3. Iron1

Thanks!

Here's the body reassembled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

That's pretty awesome looking :D

Iron1 likes this.
  5. JamesGrote

JamesGrote SS.org Regular

Looks amazing! Love the metallic effect of the brushed white.

Iron1 likes this.
  6. Iron1

Thanks! Very pleasantly surprised with it.

Yes! I wasn't expecting that, but it definitely has a hit of blueish/steelish to it that I'm loving.

Now to finish the neck...

7. Iron1

Haven't had as much luck with the neck so far. Was going for a much darker blackish tone, but after 3 coats of stain this is where I was:

[​IMG]

And the fourth coat:

[​IMG]

Getting there... but don't think I'll be able to achieve the full charcoal effect I was picturing in my head when I started. But, at least it's getting closer... not sure how much patience I have for continuing to stain it before I call it done.