Framus Diablo Custom 7

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by TMM, May 9, 2009.

1. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

So, I'm looking into getting one of these, and I'm curious... does anyone know what a fair price for a used one is? They seem pretty badass, with the Ebony board, bolt-in (not on) Ovangkol neck, Plek Tech setup, and Duncan custom shop pickups. They seem pretty rare this side of the pond, especially since Framus stopped a lot of their US distribution. I've only been able to find one place online that has them new, let alone used. The new one I found was $4026 list, $3221 retail here.

[​IMG]

Fred the Shred and Dusty201087 like this.
  2. evilmnky204

evilmnky204 SS.org Regular

Forgive me for sounding retarded, but what exactly is the different with bolt-on and bolt-in necks? This is probably the first time I've heard of bolt-in..

3. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

[​IMG]

This would be bolt-in. Framus are badass guitars! I sold my sixer because the radius was only 12, but the 7's have a really high-radius, something like 20" I believe.

Framus actually has no US distribution now, at least for their guitars. The site you linked has ridiculously high prices. I suspect the guy has to pay retail from Europe, and then ship them over here and mark them up from that. I bought my Renegade Pro sixer for $850, new, off e-Bay.

4. The Echthros

The Echthros Stupid, apparently

Framus makes some awesome looking guitars and appear to be really top notch...but 3k+ for a production instrument is ridiculous. Same reason why I can't bring myself to justify buying certain gibson and PRS guitars.

I am one of those people though who believe that if you really want something price is no issue; it should be worth it to you.

good luck on finding one of these beasties!

5. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

wow that cut-out part for the neck joint is ROUGH

6. gunshow86de

Actually, it's quite comfortable. And it's the tightest bolt-on joint I've ever seen.

7. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

It's somewhere between set and bolt-on - the cavity is cut for the neck to fit perfectly into the body, like a set neck, but then the neck is also bolted in. It's supposedly the best of both worlds, in terms of solid construction and resonance.

Really? I don't know about that, unless they had a price increase since you got yours. I found a European site that only had the 6's, and they were all in the 900 - 2000 Euro range --> Thomann

Here's a used 6'er for $1500 --> BLVD Music

8. gunshow86de

I'm not sure if the prices have gone up, or if it's because of the change in the Euro to dollar exchange rate. The Diablo Pro, when I bought it about a year ago, was equivalent to around $900 on Thomman. But now it's around $1,200.

The Diablo 7 is a great guitar, but not worth over $3,000. I think I remember seeing one sell on here for well under $2,000. And Buz sold his for $725, of course he's famous and can afford to give ridiculously good deals.:lol:

9. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

Yeah, the Diablo Custom 6'ers are equivalent to $1875 USD

Haha true. I think I saw that too... crazy low price for a hand-made German instrument with all the bells & whistles (except Piezo).

10. Stitch

Stitch Banned

garthfluff is a fellow edinbugger who bought one, although I have no idea whether he still has his. I think his used to belong to Buz from Unearth too. Try PMing him?

11. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot. PM'd him.

Yeah, I guess I'm mainly trying to decide between tracking down a Framus and finding a JP7 in a non-hideous finish. I've played a JP6 before, and thought it was pretty nice, but I've never played a Rosewood-boarded guitar that I liked as much as the nicer Ebony and Maple boards I've played. Basically, the Framus has everything I'm looking for, except Piezo, but it's a hell of a lot more difficult to find from what I can tell.

12. fiaracer

fiaracer Well-Known Member

we have one at guitar center in tampa used for 500 bucks.
    no case but in really great shape I would pick it up myself but im broke as a joke.

13. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

A Diablo 7 for $500? Wow

14. mpsk

mpsk SS.org Regular

TMM please write more about framus diablo 7, i'm thinking about replacing my 540s7 for this.

15. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

Ever played a Warwick bass? If so, just imagine that in guitar form, and that's very close to what the Diablo 7 felt like. The neck is really Les-Paulish, but not in a bad way. The overall tone is really punchy, and the Duncan single coils sound really good. I'd definitely take it over a 540-S7 (though if you have the red one, I'd probably hang on to it just for rarity's sake). The sound is a lot richer, with more depth than the old 540-S7 I had. The sustain on the Framus was also vastly superior to the Ibby.

16. guitarplayerone

guitarplayerone SS.org Regular

i say try before buy, the 540-S7 is a pretty sweet guitar

17. mpsk

mpsk SS.org Regular

yes it is, is very comfortable, i like how this guitar sound but i also have a mahogany hellraiser C7 so i want little change.

18. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

I'll note that I'm giving my opinion as someone who has owned both. A red 540-S7 was my main guitar for a while:

[​IMG]

19. walleye

walleye SS.org Regular

Framus Camarillo Series

dont forget the camarillo 7 string that they also offer
    very similar, but hardtail and 2 humbucker
    and of course the ever-important feature, 22 frets :)

20. JohnIce

JohnIce Singlecoil Enthusiast

I like the features of this guitar (HSS is by far my favourite pickup layout), but to me the shapes of these guitars always look so rough-cut and home-made.