Fractal FM3 - Metallica tones

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Antonis, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Antonis

Antonis SS.org Regular

I 've tried to come close to the metallica guitar sound, while still adjusting some things to personal taste. What do you think of the tones and the song selection?

Gear used:
    Gibson Les Paul, Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz pickups
    Charvel Joe Duplantier signature, Seymour Duncan SH-11 on bridge
    Fractal FM3: Mark II, Mark IV and JCM800 with Marshall and Mesa impulse responses

sirbuh, Deadpool_25 and Seabeast2000 like this.
  2. Spinedriver

Spinedriver SS.org Regular

Overall, I'd say your playing it spot on. As for the 'tone', yours has a bit more of a 'buzz' to it whereas the palm mutes on MOP are definitely 'tighter' and a lot more 'scooped' in the mids.
    It'd be near impossible to copy it exactly anyway given a) the number of amps & guitars they layer and b) who knows how much post processing went on but a decent effort on your part.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  3. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Nice playing, but the tone doesn't sound like Metallica at all. Yours has tons of gain (far too much), tons of mids, and it's really fat and rich sounding. Metallica's tone is far drier overall, far more scooped, and has less gain.

Also, one of the main issues with recreating album tones is that these tones were tweaked to sound good in a mix. Typically, metal tones will sound relatively thin and not all that great on their own (AJFA is a prime example - no bass equals no thickness, the production sounds super dry and has no balls).

If you want my advice - dial the gain way down, use your pick attack to get that aggressiveness. You have far too much low end, and too much mids overall. I'd also add some highs, the tones sound too dark, at least imo.

Out of curiosity, what kind of monitoring situation do you have?

vibrantgermancities likes this.
  4. Antonis

Antonis SS.org Regular

I know, that's why I said I adjusted it to taste. Also, I know my tones aren't mix ready, I like to hear the rumble and the sizzle when the guitar is solo. I use JBL305. They have no sub. You?

Spinedriver likes this.
  5. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Refer to this guy when doing Mark-Tallica tones...

Spinedriver and Emperoff like this.
  6. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Quality stuff. Now give me those settings so I can copy them on my Triaxis :lol: