Fractal Axe-Fx

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Josh Lawson, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Josh Lawson

Josh Lawson Banned

So I've seen this processor on the Fractal website. It appears to be a very high end preamp modeling preamp/processor. So has anyone in here owned one or know anything more about this product?

2. ohio_eric

ohio_eric Contributor

Christopher and jacksonplayer both own one and seem very happy with it. jacksonplayer even cut his CD with his. I wouldn't mind owning one myself.

3. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

On this forum, Enditol (lead guitarist in Divinity) and Tymon (guitarist in Cynic) both have them as well. Enditol uses his for effects only, and it replaced an Eventide Eclipse. He hasn't looked back. Tymon and the other guy from Cynic are using theirs 100% on tour and cut a lot of tracks on the album with them.
    They sound absolutely fantastic! Have you listened to the clips on the Axe FX forum yet?

4. Josh Lawson

Josh Lawson Banned

For 2 grand these thing had better be good!!:eek:

5. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

they are really, really, really good. And they are updated all the time too. When I first looked into them about a year ago, the modeling was pretty poor, but now they sound great. Still a little digital, but they are way, way ahead of anything Line6 or Digitech has done, and the effects are on par with the Eventide Eclipse (and those things are REALLY expensive). Listen to clips! You will be sold on one very quickly, I think.

6. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

omg, GAS! :mad:

7. John_Strychnine

John_Strychnine I Was Once Groove.

The other guitarist in the band (Acle le TesseracT) has one. It's probably the best sounding piece of effects/modelling i've heard!

Can't wait to get one myself.

8. Splees

Splees splees

The sounds that can be heard from those units are amazing. Every couple of months I think about selling most of my stuff off to get one. :lol:

9. Salvation

Salvation Active Member

I was allowed to spend a week with one through my guitar teacher.
    It is easily one of the best pieces of gear that you will spend your money on...

There are just a ridiculous amount of features to the Axe Fx that make it incredible.
    The modeling is near perfect, allowing you to sound just like, or even better than almost any amplifier that exists, even if the amp itself isn't in one of the presets.
    The effects are at least as good as the best eventides/ TC electronics/ Lexicon effects (including the harmonizer!).
    Midi = Epic Win
    Things that would cost thousands upon thousands of dollars, such as employing effects after the amplifier itself (after both preamp and poweramp stage) is done internally and done with extremely high fidelity (if that makes sense)

The list goes on and on and on. It's the next piece of gear of 1k that I am picking up for sure. And btw if you get on the waiting list, you will be given a discount so it will be about 1400 for the regular version when you are able to buy it.

10. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

Yep, I own one. I bought one very early in production after hearing about it on Huge Racks Inc. to replace my Vetta II. I was completely blown away.

I went to the Vetta in the first place because the bulk of my playing is in low volume situations and I needed EXTREME versatility. I hated the feel of it and it sounded fake to me but it was better than lugging multiple tube heads to a gig and not getting to crank them up.

I've since started doing loud friendlier gigs and I'm still not going back to tubes. I don't miss my Rectos, Mark IV's, Triaxis, Randall MTS, Triple XXX, 5150, etc.

I always laugh when I hear people complain about it's price because of what it is capable of replacing in a rig. When you start adding up what I've actually got into my current rig, I spent much more on many of the rigs in the past.

11. Used666

Used666 SS.org Regular

Another owner here. Ive only had it about a month or so but i cant say enough about it. It may sound like theres an echo in the room but these guys are all right in what they've said so far. It has unmatched modeling/routing and tone shaping capabilities.

A few key points of it :

-Models amps/cabs/mics/effects, most of which are stereo and can be routed pre or post
    -Accepts IR's
    -Amazing quality

I too was a tube guy and have since sworn off that i wont need to buy another tube amp out of necessity now because the axe fx goes above and beyond any amp that ive previously owned (ive owned some VERY high end stuff and was a long time mesa guy : Mesa roadking/stiletto/dual recto/rectoverb, Peavey : JSX/Windsor, Carvin : V3/Legacy)

12. megalex

megalex SS.org Regular

how are the high gain sounds? anything ENGL ish?

13. Christopher

Christopher Total Rondo Addict! Contributor

There is a Powerball model in the Axe Fx. The thing is, you can get almost any out there on the Axe Fx because of the depth of tweaking available. You can virtually go in and "mod" an existing amp model to make another. In fact you can pretty much create amps that don't exist yet.

14. megalex

megalex SS.org Regular

ok thats it im getting one too.. :)

15. djpharoah

djpharoah Awwww Yeaaaah Super Moderator

This stuff sounds great - but where can you get some nice metal clips of it in use? I tried youtube but almost everyone is doing a U2 cover with it.

16. megalex

megalex SS.org Regular

LOL yeah seems to be very famous for U2 covers which is scary.. hehe

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

$2k is in line with a very nice tube head - if it's any good it's worth it, I guess. :shrug:

18. Josh Lawson

Josh Lawson Banned

This might seem like a series of stupid questions but what would is the preferred rig to run after this pre? A tube or SS power amp? FRFR? Is this thing mostly geared for a one piece recording solution? Direct into the PA?

19. Used666

Used666 SS.org Regular

DanD likes this.
  20. megalex

megalex SS.org Regular

HOLLY SHIT !! HOLLY SHIT>> THAT SOUNDS FUCKING INSANE . :bowdown:

Same question over here.. If it already models power amps and speaker cabs.. should i just get a cheap solid state amp?