Four Channel Options

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by runbirdman, Feb 23, 2021.

1. runbirdman

runbirdman Lackawanna County Volunteer Sheriff's Deputy Contributor

I currently have a heavily modded Friedman SS-100 but am looking at getting one of the four-channel behemoths to use in a cover band. The heads I'm currently considering are the Revv Generator 120 MkIII, KSR Artemis, or the KSR Colossus. I also considered the VH4 but have never liked any of the models in the Helix or the FM3.

We have slowly become a decades cover band and we cover songs from the 1970s to the 2010s based on the customer's requests. We have a standard 3.5-hour set-list that goes from AC/DC to Linkin Park, with hair metal, ballads, and pop songs scattered throughout with 30 more minutes for customer requests.

Does anyone have any experience comparing some of these amps side by side? Or any other recommendations to consider?

I have owned a Mark V:90, Bogner Uberschall TJ, Ceriatone Chupacabra, Ceriatone 2203, Randall Satan, Fryette Pittbull, EVH 5150 100 6L6, EVH 5150 100S, Mesa Dual-Rectifier Dual Rectifier (3 channel and MW).

What I'm looking for in an amp:

MIDI
    Edge of breakup clean (Simple Man-ish)
    British crunch (Jessie's Girl-ish)
    Recto-ish high gain (Linkin Park, Alice in Chains)
    5150-ish high gain (Because it's what I like the best)

The Friedman and the 5150 6L6 are the closest I've owned to what I'm looking for but neither is "perfect."

I also have an FM3/FC6> Synergy 5050> Stereo 2x12 rig that I'm currently using live and it fits the bill well. I just love having an analog rig with a massive pedalboard on hand in case I'm in the mood. I'm looking to keep it in the ~$3500 range if possible.

This is the pedalboard I currently use with the Friedman. There's not a whole lot of tones missing, but it does struggle some of the tighter, downtuned or ERG high gain, which I don't use much in the cover band, but I do prefer for other projects.

IMG_1238.jpg

2. protest

protest SS.org Regular

I think a Mesa TC 100 would work. You might just need to flick on the tight/drive switches before certain songs, or just find a couple boosts that you like with it.

3. Grindspine

Grindspine likes pointy things

Since you mentioned that you have a Synergy 5050, I know that there are Synergy models for several amps that you had mentioned. If you want just a massive pedal board, amp-in-a-box type pedals (MXR 5150, Wampler Triple Wreck etc.) come to mind as an alternative for some of those sounds.

4. MrWulf

MrWulf SS.org Regular

KSR Artemis or Revv i think. You could do Synergy but would need 2 racks of preamp methinks

5. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Isn’t the Roadking 4-channels?

Have you considered a two amp rig? Just A/B switch between them maybe? Perhaps consider what isn’t perfect about the 5150 and Friedman, then just address that issue separately.

If you do consider two amps and you’re wanting to keep it to a single cab you can look into something like the Mesa Headtrack.

protest likes this.
  6. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

This is the perfect scenario for Victory V4 preamps. Seriously. Instead of a two-amp rig, just choose any of them with the two channels you like an add them to your rig. A Mesa amp with a Kraken V4 would basically fit all your requeriments (since it has a british crunch and a 5150-ish lead).

You might also consider the Engl Savage Mk II. It has a metric ton of MIDI-switchable features that might be your alley. It's a bit in the middle of everything you mentioned. Most 4-channel amps are actually two channel designs but with alternate voicings and controls anyway.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
    Kyle-Vick likes this.
  7. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I feel Revv will be the one to get with all the channels and aggression modes plus reverb and the sweet direct out options. like what can't it do really??

8. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

This would also work with an Amptweaker Tight Metal Pro, and since you want the 5150 sound it'll definitely do it.

9. Emperoff

Which is around the price of the Kraken, it's missing the british crunch channel, has no tubes, and has no preamp-defeat switching operation. :shrug:

10. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

It has the side trak loop which functions the same as the preamp defeat. I don't see the lack of tubes as a negative, sounds great either way.

He's got the Friedman for the crunch channel as well.

11. Emperoff

He's asking for amps that happen to be all tube, so suggesting the preamp section of a tube amp in pedal format makes sense, specially if it covers two of the sounds he's after instead of one. He still needs a Mesa tone, so he'll need to get one anyway.

Feel free to suggest things OP didn't ask for. Just don't quote me on them. :yesway:

Last edited: Feb 23, 2021
  12. runbirdman

I’ve been down the Amptweaker/AMT/Ceres rabbit hole already. They’re great but not quite what I was looking for. The V4 is definitely intriguing. The Bictory stuff seems highly regarded and the Kraken checks a lot of boxes.

The other idea about using a Head Track is really interesting. If I could find an amp with a Recto and a 5150 channel that would be a killer rig. The Friedman has a fantastic Plexi channel and the gain channel fits well into the modded Marshall sound.

13. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Ok hear me out on this, I know I've said the opposite in the past, but get a JVM410. It does everything and sounds as good as the Friedman I've had with it.

VH4 might cover you, but I'd probably look at the Hagen.

cwhitey2 and BenjaminW like this.
  14. Deadpool_25

Have you considered running the FM3 in 4cm? Honestly that would be a great solution as you can use your amp channels (5153 for example) then just bypass your amp’s preamp and use the FM3’s Recto model into the 5153 power section.

I think you wanted to move away from the digital though, so as much as I I can say it’d work, maybe that’s not the ideal solution for you. Sounds like maybe a Rectifier head, your 5153 head, the Headtrack, your 2x12, and your choice of pedals might suit quite well. Sure would be an awesome cover band rig.

Edit: does the 5153S 100w have that Easter egg plexi-ish thing with everything dimed on the green channel like the 50w Stealth has?

15. protest

protest SS.org Regular

If you really want to do all those different tones and really nail them you're going to need 2 sources of tone. No amp is going to do all those sounds to the degree that it seems you want. If you don't want to add anything digital or a solid state preamp like the Ceres, I think you need to run a 2 amp rig.

16. Deadpool_25

Oh. And I thought I heard the Revv’s have both a Recto and 5150 thing going? As you and @Dineley said that might be worth checking out. Might do everything you need.

17. runbirdman

I’ve ran the FM3 in 4CM and it’s great but I like having two completely separate rigs because one stays at our band’s practice space.

My goal is to meet 4 core tones with MIDI capabilities and the Revv and Colossus both advertise the ability to get close so I definitely think a single four channel amplifier that meets my needs is entirely within the realm of possibility. The Revv is advertised as almost exactly what I’m looking for but I was mainly wanting to see if anyone had compared it to the KSR offerings or knew of any other amps that are comparable.

Obviously, the biggest issues is whether or not the KSR or Revv live up to the hype which is the main point of this thread and which has four voicing closest to what I’m looking for. Currently most of my patches on the FM3 are based on A. Vibrolux, B. Atomica High, C. Archon, D. 5153 scenes.

18. Emperoff

I haven't tried one in person, but I've never heard a Revv sound even remotely close to a recto. If you can order from a store with a good return policy you can just give it a try.

19. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

FWIW I think the AFXIII sim of the VH4 does not sound or feel at all like a VH4. Never played a Helix so can't comment on that.

I suspect the VH4 or Hagen would work for you. The VH4 is a killer amp. The VHX looks nutty but could be fun.

A Roadster would be great too but I guess is not MIDI.

StevenC likes this.
  20. runbirdman

That’s my biggest concern with basing amp purchases on modelers. My Friedman reacts to picking dynamics much differently than the FM3 models. The sound is close but there is definitely a difference. The Diezel stuff certainly has a great reputation so I figured I must be just missing something.

As for the Revv not pulling off a Recto-vibe, some of the YouTube videos of the red channel have combinations of the aggression setting that sound Recto-esque. I’ve never tried one in person so I’m relying on YouTube videos through Yamaha HS7s to show a ballpark of what to expect.

Then problem with higher end amps is finding them to try them out without even considering A/Bing them. At least if I buy the Revv and Diezel new, there’s a possibility of returning.