Found Out You Can Get Around Paying Sales Tax on Reverb

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by PuriPuriPrisoner, Feb 1, 2020.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Every state alerts the IRS whenever there is a discrepancy in local filings. The feds make that part of an ear mark for local grants and funding.

2. Jonathan20022

Jonathan20022 Engineer

He's implying that the thread title is an extremely dumb way to oust that you are partaking in illegal activity. :shrug:

I know a guy who does this kind of stuff, and he will actively advertise that there are no taxes charged on his reverb listing then list directions for how to find the reverbsite that you can buy from omitting taxes.

Can't afford the taxes? Tough it out, better than getting audited and paying more later because someone online made me think it's a way to dodge taxes on a transaction that ties the purchase to my bank/name directly :lol:

3. narad

narad Progressive metal and politics

If as a buyer you want to avoid taxes you should follow my strong hints in the Reverb ad that the guitar is listed on other sites, go find that other forum, and then PM there, like any normal person.

4. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh

^This. I do this constantly.

5. Watty

Watty Naturally Cynical

Just don’t talk about it your messages, because they definitely read them.

akinari likes this.
  6. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

....mentally handicapped American?

7. ghostOG

ghostOG SS.org Regular

Yea that kind of thing happened around here a couple years ago. Some landscaping Bubba got butt hurt cuz a teenager was mowing yards and taking his business, so he tried to get the city to crack down on the kid for not having a business license. They made the right decision and told the old man to get real.

c7spheres likes this.
  8. c7spheres

c7spheres GuitArtist

I can see that guys gripe, honestly, with that type of business, depending on the kid or the amount of kids doing it. If that kid's making hundreds or even a thousand plus a month doing lawns then that can be a serious concern and detriment to the guys business, especially when you multiply it by all the other kids doing it. That's some serious cash. A bunch of kids doing bake sales and lemonade stands probably isn't enough to impact local businesses i'd assume. The city probably didn't do anything because it probably wasn't a big deal what the kid was doing.

9. park0496

park0496 SS.org Regular

If you must ask... intellectually disabled American

10. Guitarexpert224

Guitarexpert224 SS.org Regular

That's a pretty dumb statement.

And big
    Big corporations don't pay millions in sales tax cause of loopholes in the tax laws that benefit them but us little guys get zinged with sales tax that makes it harder to afford a used private sale. So what you wrote is a bunch of B.S. To pay shipping and tax on Reverb when you buy something is a loss of money. Why, an amp costs $1000 on Reverb, $75 shipping and $80 tax. So now the amp costs $1160. If you go to sell that amp and put it up for $1160 when others are for $1000 it wont sell. Then on top of your selling price you have to pay Reverb & Paypal almost 8% in fees. That' an addtional $80. So if everyone else is selling that item for $1000, the you have to sell if close to that price you just lost $240. Shipping, tax, and reverb fees. It's ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 8, 2020
  11. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Please, list any of these legal loopholes in sales tax. I'd love to know them so I can forward them to my boss so we can stop paying sales tax on all the purchases of computers and displays etc for IT in our company.

ElRay likes this.
  12. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

You created an account just to embarrass yourself. I like your style.

13. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

he's an expert, after all...

14. Randy

Randy Full on Friendship!™ Super Moderator

Not so much 'loopholes' but you can avoid tax on products that are meant to be resold or on raw materials for OEM purposes to some extent, yeah. But it's a pain in the butt and typically not something that cuts profit margins enough that it's worth battling with on small transactions.

Trying to profit off stuff you get on ebay or reverb or CL is a tough, if not impossible business to be in. Yeah you absolutely do get hen pecked on fees, but that's on top of how much cash you have tied up in those purchases, ontop of how volatile the market is. These marketplaces are not especially designed for profiting off flipping.

15. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

What’s the difference between buying on reverb sites vs buying on a Facebook ad? I would think that they either both, or neither, should charge sales tax, right?

16. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

I believe the distinguishing feature is Facebook isn't charging for the marketplace so the burden to collect and pay sales tax is on the individuals and not the marketplace. I'm not a lawyer and haven't done a lot of research, but I believe that is how it is interpreted. Same with Craigslist for example.

Hollowway and ArtDecade like this.
  17. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

also craiglist and facebook market place are technically just literally like open market places.
    Reverb is technically a store front.

budda likes this.
  18. xwmucradiox

xwmucradiox sweep.tap.sweep

Its almost like you're paying a small fee for access to a large group of potential customers looking for the exact kind of thing you want to sell. Like a service or something. Wild, right?

19. devastone

devastone SS.org Regular

So, a question for you guys, do you pay the Paypal fees or use friends and family to avoid paying them when buying stuff on a forum? If so, isn't that the same argument, you should pay for a service if you use it? Just curious.

20. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

That's not a magic button to avoid fees, it literally waves your protections, so if you use it, and you get screwed, you're on your own.

The fee is paying for the service of insuring your transaction.