Fortin Sigil CS issues on Facebook

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Edika, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

That's because their standby function is doing more than just cutting the HV. Standby isn't required to also mute your amp. That's the whole point of this.

2. Vyn

And that's bad, just wait until you dive into pedals :lol:

3. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

Really interesting read, thanks!

4. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Fortin should remove this "feature". Have a simple on off. No stand by/mute. Simpler for him to build and less confusion.

5. Vyn

IMO every manufacturer by this point should be intelligent enough to have some sort of auto-heat functionality. Then again, this is the industry that's spent 50 years re-badging the same circuit with subtle tweaks here and there.

6. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

That is what I'm talking about, but I would not phrase it in such an insulting way. The standby is unnecessary in modern amp design. Fortin would simplify this entire situation if he removed his mute.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  7. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I'm not a particular Fortin fan, but if you stop buying amps (or almost any equipment) based on them stealing ideas, you'll end up never buying anything again.

8. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

I love when I mute my TV or my music and still have bleed through.

FILTHnFEAR, Ribboz and Edika like this.
  9. Spaced Out Ace

I don't care so much if they take an established amp brands circuit, and mod it, build on it, add options and tones the original doesn't get. I do however have an issue with a "designer" lifting his ideas from a real independent designer, though.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    Ribboz likes this.
  10. Spaced Out Ace

Never had an amp that wasn't silent on standby.

11. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Throwing fuel on the fire here. Recently I started going back through my Iced Earth catalog and remembered I love the tone tone on SWTWC. And I thought it was some sort of modded Marshall you know, mid range dry, dynamics?

Turns out it was a “Larry Dino”. So I go looking and it’s some small EU builder who makes like 10 a year and they go for like $8k. Ouch, well no biggie so I start hunting for profiles or maybe “similar character” amps because I want crispy rhythm tones!

And I stumble on how apparently on several forums the Larry builder has commented that Fortin bought amp(s) directly from him years back, messaged him all sorts of tech questions.

And how recently a local brought him a Fortin Amp and that it was an exactly spec-lift of his Dino circuit, wiring schematics, like everything just with cheaper parts.

Is it true? Idk. Buuuuuuuuut it’d be super sketch if it was. I’d love some insight from those who more closely follow builders, etc. I’ve been digital a long time, which prompted my profile hunt.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

100 percent true. but...it's you know 100 percent true of like every amp after the first Marshall.

13. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I find it strange at all, that one would install a pad rather than just disconnect the input from the circuit. It makes infinitely more sense from a design standpoint and from a financial standpoint. We could add additional unnecessary parts that don't actually make something completely silent, or we could just clip the circuit with a switch and have nothing from the guitar reach the input stage of the amp. Sounds like fancy extra stuff that overly complicates something that could be done more simply and elegantly with less. I had a Thrasher. It was okay. Nothing inherently special about it. It was tight. Lots of saturation. Great of those are the things that are most important to you. That's not it for me. All of Fortin's designs seem to have that same character to them though. I don't like Revv for the same reasons. They'll get the job done, but they're not what I would call colorful sounds. TL;DR: I won't be giving Fortin any money because of the uninspiring sounds. But I also have seen a few gaps in CS that should have been obvious situations that make me not want to consider even the pedals or the Sims.

14. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Majority = think and say a certain thing is a certain thing

Minority = they are wrong

Don't think it really works like that in the real world tbh.

I'm not doubting that ORIGINALLY a stand by wasn't designed to act also as a mute, but over the years it's become that and a majority of players now believe that's what a stand by is and does.

I don't really think you can call the majority wrong at this point. Especially when all amp builders except Fortin now randomly, have ensured standby also includes mute.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

My Randall T2 is quieter than whisper quiet on standby, but from what I've heard from the Fortin Sigil videos, they're still awfully fucking loud on standby.

16. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

The first Marshall was lifted from the Fender Bassman.

17. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

But is someone else selling a JCM 800 that sounds basically identical and dying they “invented” it? I honestly don’t know.

Spaced Out Ace and Ribboz like this.
  18. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

There is a pretty unique aspect in Larry's design though that I haven't seen anywhere else except the Fortin. It's the whole Girth / Grind controls Fortin has on the Satan. I can't think of an amp that really had those controls in that spot like that before the Larry design. Not an earth shattering invention that altered the circuit landscape forever, but it is pretty novel and at least as unique as some of the stuff Randall Smith has patents for.

Not to mention buying amps from somebody who you then talk to about his circuits only to launch a business building a clone is just a pretty shitty thing to do no matter how you slice it.

19. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I guess the next question would be... is the tone good on standby? :lol:

20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Also worth noting that Larrys go back as far as the early '90s (maybe sooner). Larry (and I think Jon Schaffer as well) talks about showing his amp to Jon since he was a big fan of Iced Earth and eventually showed him one of his modded Marshalls in person. I think they met in 1992 with said amp and eventually used one of the first Dinos on Burnt Offerings.

Spaced Out Ace and Mathemagician like this.