Fortin Sigil CS issues on Facebook

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Edika, Jul 23, 2020.

1. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Pretty sure, this "can't be muted on standby" stuttered sound, will be faithfully recreated in the upcoming Neural DSP Fortin SigHeil. It's like you have a guitar killswitch that is missing a solder joint.

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

had enough of this kind of thing.

It just makes everyone concerned look like douchebags.

Ive been guilty of going off on one over the internet like this, and was rightfully torn a new one and embarrassed for it.

Both parties look like dickheads here tbh.

so much stubborn, overly defensive stances. "Im right"! "no!. I am"

Edika likes this.
  3. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Damn Lewis thinks I'm a douchebag. Life is over.

Masoo2, StevenC and erdiablo666 like this.
  4. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

well you acted like it was over an amp playing up so, i guess you have form for overreacting.

5. Jon Pearson

Jon Pearson SS.org Regular

Yeah I definitely see both sides of this, there is a certain strain of "customer-always-right" mentality that has really harmed the culture, because frankly most the time the customer is fucking knob like any other person.

At the same time, there are some instances where I have found that it is absolutely impossible to even get any attention as a customer with an issue if you don't show your ass. I'm a very easy-going person, and I've found the old "squeaky wheel gets the grease" thing proves to be true in a lot of cases.

I think it comes down to this - if you are provided a service or a product, you should stand by it and assume positive intent from the customer. The same sentiment goes for if you are the customer - don't go in ready to be an asshole, assume the best.

Boofchuck, Jacksonluvr636 and lewis like this.
  6. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Reading the emails I would say the dude went all in on the first communication. I mean if he started with "Hi there seems to eba problem with the amp, it does so and so" instead "The amp is defective and I didn't pay so much to have a piece of garbage" it might have played of differently.

But the fact that the Fortin camp was all like "Oh the amp is fine, it's how it's supposed to sound so you return it on your dime because you don't want it anymore so here's a restock fee" instead of saying "Ok there's should be some bleed but maybe not as much. Send it back we'll check if it's working ok and if so refund you the shipping costs. Otherwise if the amp is fine and you still want to return it there'll be a restocking fee" it would have went a lot better.

Now that they've went to these lengths and Fortin said he'll check the amp and if it's faulty he'll refund him the shipping fees, he should just return it if he hasn't already.

I do not agree either with the customer is always right mentality but at least give the customer the benefit of the doubt. I mean I would be super upset if I paid £1300, or however much this costs in the UK, for a brand new amp that did that. I would be tempted to use strong language but I'd try and be as polite as possible but showing my frustration/annoyance.

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 The man who is tired of the anus is tired of life Contributor

A long time ago I asked Mike if he could mod a Marshall and make it "tight" like a Rhodes or Herbert and he said if that's what you want just buy those instead. Lost me at hello.

(*Now makes "tight" Marshalls)

Masoo2, Musiscience, StevenC and 5 others like this.
  8. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

Why do custom work when you can design something and have someone else build it? This is the exact opposite mentality of people like Dave Friedman. "Oh, my amp doesn't have something you'd like on it? Give me an extra couple hundy and it'll have that on your's."

Masoo2, StevenC, USMarine75 and 3 others like this.
  9. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

People give Dave shit, but yeah, I liked that about him.

10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

I mean if I was ever in the market for some variation on a hot rodded marshall, Friedman and Splawn would be the first guys I go to.

this meme kills me
    20200723_215417.jpg

11. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Dave is a class act. Real professional. He modified my father's amp multiple times. Answered every question and helped us with our voltage problem.

Masoo2, Thaeon and USMarine75 like this.
  12. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Technically someone could do that to Fortin or any other manufacturer at the moment. Amp circuits have been free game for a long time, the only thing that’s protected these days is the branding.

13. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

yeah definitely. I think it's just funnier because a lot of the rigtalk/TGP guys act like Larry amps are sacred cows. Nobody makes things in a vacuum.

Thaeon, USMarine75 and Vyn like this.
  14. Seabeast2000

Seabeast2000 Tropospheric Holocenian Contributor

Is Larry the Dumble of high gain?

15. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

Well, kinda - except his amp output is negligible and spends so far as I can tell more time arguing on forums than actually building amps.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  16. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

He's also a complete dickhead.

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  17. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Just by the actual amps to me they are, but that's because i've hated or just felt meh about every Dumble and Larry clip i've ever heard :lol:

Every Larry clip i've heard sounds like a Metalzone to me, but i've not heard many clips. This is coming from someone who owns two Fortin designed (or copied depending on your viewpoint) amps and loves them too :shrug:

Seabeast2000 likes this.
  18. FearComplex

FearComplex Contributor

The Larry clips I've heard on YT are indeed awful but mediocre guitar playing and dodgy mic positioning on a shitty cab will do that to any amp. For a proper representation check out Iced Earth - Something Wicked This Way Comes.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  19. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

That Larry thread was epic.

He's just an OG who doesn't give a fuck imo. There's no way in hell I'm spending 6k on an amp so I couldn't care less what he or his service was like. I do however wish more people took Friedman's approach. The guy is super easy to work with, cool af and helps people out with advice even if they aren't handing him money.

That kind of stuff goes a long way with me. Another great example is Joe Balaguer, I would support that company until the end just because he is nice af and is a class act. I can understand the "Fortin Army" being the same way just because to some people Fortin are the ultimate metal amp and maybe they haven't had personal issues but I have and even if I havent, I have seen enough of them where it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Great product, great service. That's how you run a shop in my opinion but hey, I dont have a shop so who tf am I?

Masoo2, cwhitey2, Vyn and 4 others like this.
  20. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

Same. Seems like the only people that own Larrys don't know how to dial them in. :lol:

Masoo2 likes this.