Fortin Sigil CS issues on Facebook

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Edika, Jul 23, 2020.

1. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Hi all I follow one of the facebook pages, the Heavey Metal Amps & Pedals and there is a post that has blown up where the guy ordered a Fortin Sigil that has bleed issues on standby and he also says sounds super flubby.

He contacted Fortin about it and the reply was that the amp works as it should and all Sigil's have bleed through on standby. He sent a video showing the issue and they still claim the amp is fine. He's been asked to return it on his dime and since he doesn't want another amp that he'll be charged a 25% restocking fee as they still claim the amp is fine. He asked them if they check the amp and it proves it is faulty what happens then but he hasn't had a reply in 2 days. I'll share his video and screenshots as he has said it's ok to do so.

FB_IMG_1595499654268.jpg FB_IMG_1595499664379.jpg FB_IMG_1595499674553.jpg FB_IMG_1595499682594.jpg FB_IMG_1595499688718.jpg FB_IMG_1595499700644.jpg FB_IMG_1595499710511.jpg

EDIT: I can't seem to be able to download the videos he posted so you might have to watch them on FB

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    USMarine75 likes this.
  2. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

Without owning the amp myself, it’s hard to say who is right or wrong.

I feel like the customer did not communicate the issue clearly. His emails are poorly written. I feel sorry for the customer service agents having to try and interpret.

Fortin have interpreted it as him complaining about expected behaviour. To that end, they are totally correct to ask him to pay for shipping and restocking.

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I saw the post on FB, and someone said in the comments that other Sigil owners claim their amps don't do this.

Masoo2, Ribboz and Veldar like this.
  4. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

It is true his emails didn't really translate well but he send them videos which he posted in the FB post of him having the standby switch on, playing and hearing sound bleeding through. He had another video where he turned off the amp while still on standby and it sounded like when you would turn off the amp while not on standby.

To which Fortin replied that all Sigil amps do that and the amp is working fine.

Concerning the muddines claim, I don't know and the guy didn't post any clips of him saying it. I have had 5 tube amps and none did this. One was the Randall Diavlo which was Fortin designed. On standby it and the other amps would be dead quiet and I'd be noodling waiting for the amp to warm up.

Now I know standby switches are not really doing anything aside from saving you have to hear the noises from turning on and off the amp. A lot of amp designers have chimed in saying that they do not prolong tube life or protect the amp in any way. It might just be a faulty switch or it might be something worse.

What I don't understand is the claim that everything is fine, insisting on paying for return shipping and without even checking the amp claiming the buyer has to pay a 25% restock fee.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

If this is like some of the Randalls Mike designed it may not actually have a standby switch and could just be a mute... that would explain bleed through being normal. It would also explain the post power off sound as the mute loses power before the audio path.

If they listened to the clips and don't think the amp is defective then yeah, telling him to return it under their normal return policy would be normal. I can't be arsed to go find the clips and try to make a tech judgement on an amp I don't know the design of, so not making a judgement call on how the amp is functioning.

They could have handled it better and offered to check it etc, but you need to remember that Fortin is basically completely outsourced on these and they are not doing any of the actual assembly etc etc etc so they may be limited by the company contracted to do this stuff. Not a defense of how this was handled, just something to be aware of if you are going to buy an amp from them. The Sigil isn't really any different than buying a lunchbox from MF... if you don't like how it works and are bitching they are just going to tell you to send it back under their standard return policy.

USMarine75 and Edika like this.
  6. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

just sell it to one of the boot lickers on the fb group for 95% of the cost. by law they cant say anything bad about fortin so they would just say it sounds huuuuge and then sell it a few weeks later.

FILTHnFEAR, Masoo2, Merrekof and 15 others like this.
  7. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

oof.

Don't even know how to feel about this one. As far as the bleed is concerned. @technomancer is right. If the stand-by is actually just a mute, there will be bleed. The MT15 does the same thing, but what you hear when it's engaged is whisper quiet. The flubbiness though, is completely subjective. It could be that the amp was designed to have a loose bottom end or it could be bad tubes.

I can't say I have any experience with Fortin amps. I just generally don't think they're a good value. Another reason being is that I can't get them in a brick and mortar location so that if something goes wrong, I can go to a dealer and just not have to deal with shipping.

Edika likes this.
  8. HeHasTheJazzHands

My T2 is similar. It has some bleed through when the standby is engaged. It's not perfectly quiet.

But it's not as bad as in the video. I really don't think they heard the video.

He also talks about feedback when the amp is turned off. Not sure what the deal about that is. I do wish the dude recorded everything.

lewis likes this.
  9. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire grossly incandescent

he did post clips over in the heavy metal/amps group

10. HeHasTheJazzHands

Did he post clips of the feed back and muddiness? I only saw the standby video on the Randall amp one

11. KnightBrolaire

He posted the standby vid and the feedback while turning off vid.
    Also that thread has some juicy tidbits about zach khoury getting fired from BC Rich.
    Oh also the owner of Lone Wolf Audio trying to peddle his products in the thread .
    Glenn Fricker wants to borrow the amp and rip Fortin a new one in a vid as well.

Masoo2, USMarine75, Thaeon and 2 others like this.
  12. HeHasTheJazzHands

Welp. The backlash begins :lol:

Also lol at engage not even lasting it at BCR. You'd think the dude would be the perfect fit there.

Masoo2, StevenC, USMarine75 and 2 others like this.
  13. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

For the Engage guy, he seems to have made fun of someone with mental issues.

Dude the Lone Wolf Audio guy is so annoying! I mean his gate might be great and all but for fucks sake!

USMarine75 and TheWarAgainstTime like this.
  14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

I wanna read the thread. Where it at.

15. KnightBrolaire

heavy metal amps/pedals group on fb.

16. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

When did music gear builders turn from nice people like mike soldano And Bruce egnater into utter assclowns. Like basically everyone nowadays.

17. HeHasTheJazzHands

Oh not only is he an annoying marketing shill guy, he's an ableist piece of shit? Explains a lot.

Veldar likes this.
  18. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Heard the clip, saw the posts. Fuck Fortin, that amp had issues and if that is what is expected then pfffft. Highly doubt all Sigils do this, I bet we'd be hearing a lot more about it since this is not normal. Just poor service all around imo.

Masoo2, Ribboz and sleewell like this.
  19. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Fired from BCR lololol

Masoo2, StevenC, setsuna7 and 5 others like this.
  20. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

I'd be surprised if anything should sound like this even with the mute function. I'd expect Fortin to get the amp, check it and see if there is an issue or not. And this is not a cheap amp to say the least.
    Two things I took out of this either they are reluctant to admit fault, which is idiotic since there's bound to be issues with amps and it's in their best interest to address them, or if the amp is actually functioning like that then their product is not what I would consider worth the price. That shows supbar quality. I couldn't afford a Fortin amp anyway but this makes it easier to never consider them ever.