Fortin 33 vs Maxon 808

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by oakentower, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

The M77 is a great boost to have laying around. You can get them for like $50 used, and they are a great tool in many cases. I have other boosts I like better, but plan to always keep the M77 around, because it just works sometimes.

Werecow likes this.
  2. SamSam

SamSam GAS problems

I don't know how the dirty tree compares to the tc pedal but the 33 side of it sounds extremely similar to the 33 sim on nameless. I can't compare to the physical pedal but running the DT into nameless I can definitely nail the same tones (although the dial might be a tiny bit off when compared).

3. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I've got a Bad Monkey, 808, and a 33. Yeh, the M77 sounds like a nice flavour to have around too.

Shask likes this.
  4. D-Nasty

D-Nasty SS.org Regular

I use a Pepers Dirty Tree in the Fortin 33 mode with my Mesa Triple Rectifier & it sounds insanely brutal. I prefer clean boost pedals over ODs. OP, if I were you I'd give the DT a try. It's way cheaper than the 33 & sounds great. I got mine for $130 shipped from a guy on Reverb in mint condition. It was from Tony's last run of 2019.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
  5. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

Could you make a fuzz pedal sound sick with a TC pre circuit in front?

6. D-Nasty

D-Nasty SS.org Regular

I might be wrong but wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a fuzz pedal? They're supposed to sound loose right? I've never used one so I don't really know. A TC Integrated Pre makes the tone much tighter.

EDIT: I just did a quick Google search & it seems that some people are using boosts on fuzz pedals. I didn't see any using the TC Integrated Pre but they're using OCDs & similar boosts. From what I read they're using the boost after the fuzz. I've always used a clean boost before the gain channel/pedal.

StevenC likes this.
  7. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I'll join the M77 love, sounds great with or without the bump and the 100hz let's you tailor the low end to match whatever you're using with it. I usually keep the bump switch off. If I want that sound I'll just use my 808.

If you want a transparent boost with a lot of EQ options and a ton of output on tap, you should check out the Airis Savage Drive. I've never messed with a 33, but I'd be interested to hear from people that have both how they compare.

8. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

nah. For loose, mushy, bass heavy amps an 808 is useless compared to a TC Pre.

9. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

What i've noticed between the 808 and 33:

Some amps both pedals will work with. The 808 will add a little extra nastiness due to the clipping. Where as the 33 the amp will sometimes sound a bit more growly, just because it's a clean boost and your mind focusses on the mids more than the nastiness missing from the 808 sound.

Some amps seem not to work at first with the 33, but if you dial them in to what seems like a stupid way (like bass maxed and treble stupidly backed off) it'll still sound great.

Some amps the 33 just won't work at all. It'll sound sterile.

Amps that are really flubby usually massively benefit from the 33.

Some amps that have a mid-range honk, the 808 amplifies the honk even more and that doesn't work for me.

The 33 has this chug thing all of its own, and it's chuggier than a Maxon 808. As Cardinal mentioned further up, there is this technique with it to make it sound massive. You can either palm mute normally and it'll be stupidly tight (which can be a good thing), or you can palm mute closer to the bridge than you usually do and it'll be as tight as a "normal" palm mute from another pedal, but sound absolutely massive at the same time. It's hard to explain, but it rewards changing your normal palm placement and technique.

The 33 is a great tool if a tubescreamer isn't working for you. But i use the 808 a bit more often.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  10. D-Nasty

D-Nasty SS.org Regular

I'll tell you guys another boost to check out. The Horizon Devices Precision Drive. I have one & this thing is amazing. I find myself using it more than any of my other boosts. It has a built in noise gate & it retains a lot of bass while still tightening up the low end.

Precision-Drive.jpg

11. cmpxchg

cmpxchg SS.org Regular

I've got the Dirty Trees and the Savage Drive V3 on my board next to each other right now to compare against an Invective and a TC-100.

I agree with Werecow about some amps not getting along with the 33. I haven't found a setting I like on the TC-100 with the DT in the 33 mode; all of the low end vanishes while the high end sounds clanky? metallic? shrill? something like that. I'll try the no treble/all bass approach soon and see if that works better. The TC side of the DT works well because it can retain a bit of bass and tame the high end to be not quite so overpowering. On the Invective, if I turn up the resonance to 6 or 7 and switch to the crunch channel, the 33 mode on the DT sounds huge while still maintaining clarity.

The Savage Drive doesn't feel like a massive boost the way the DT does, it's more like an EQ pedal. The same sorts of approaches that work well with the Invective and the DT don't work as well with the Savage Drive--crunch + SD is underwhelming, for example--but on the TC-100 the SD kills. Blue channel with gain at 2 or 3 o'clock plus tight switch on plus SD is probably my favorite rhythm tone I've ever gotten out of any amp.

Both of them are good but they do different things. The SD is great on a drier Marshall-y amp, but the 33 on a bass-heavy setup is a great sound.

ATRguitar91 likes this.
  12. oakentower

oakentower SS.org Regular

OP here, got both. Love both. USE BOTH!!!

13. noob_pwn

noob_pwn SS.org Regular

Had one and wasn't a fan, even paired with the meshuggah head i owned for a minute. The 808 is completely different. These days I'm finding i really like using klon-type boosts with high gain heads.

14. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

If you're looking at making an older Mesa sound brutal, then I'd recommend the Airis Effects Savage Drive instead.

[​IMG]

15. BlueTrident

BlueTrident SS.org Regular

I remember reading ages ago on this website about how the M77 and the SD-1 were criminally underrated for modern, tight distortion.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.