Fortin 33 "Feel"

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Ribboz, May 28, 2019.

1. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Back when I had a Mesa Roadster my TS9 felt great. When combined with ceramic magnet pickups it got me where I wanted the feel. But now on my SLO the King of Tone is my main pedal. It's looser more dynamic feel just compliments the feel of the amp. Where my TS9 gives the SLO a stiff feel.

How does the Fortin 33 feel? The compression, dynamics, headroom. How does it feel?

2. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

I may have made this thread is a little too specific. Generally speaking, would the Fortin 33 with an SLO be Yae or Nay?

I know about it's EQ curve and boost level. I rolled the tubes in my SLO for a thicker rounder tone and am curious how the 33 might sound with it. I'm playing my TK ST-7 https://sevenstring.org/threads/ngd-tk-instruments-st-7.226582/ through the SLO. It's currently more of a singy thick lead tone. I wondered if the 33 would add some brutality.

3. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

33 will cut a lot more bass and make the tone a lot sharper and more aggressive than a tubescreamer. Probably will sound thin if you don’t dial in extra bass. It’s more akin to a treble booster than an overdrive pedal.

There’s no compression or clipping to speak of, being added by the pedal, just eq and volume boost. The 33/Grind both have 30-ish volt charge pumps built in, so internally they operate at 30 volts, tons of headroom in the pedal. The original TC Electronic Integrated Preamp preamp was originally meant to be a multi-purpose mic preamp and line driver, that can take mic level up to line level if needed.

Because of this lack of compression or clipping, it can make your amp sound quite dry and stiff if you’re into that.

Ribboz likes this.
  4. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

I did not know about the charge pump. Thank you. That is very interesting.

I am worried about it thinning out the tone. I currently have the bass and mids maxed. Plus my tubes are rolled for a thicker rounded tone. But it does not have the depth mod. The 33 may have worked better if it did have that mod. I'll have to think about it. Thank you for your input. :)

5. mnemonic

I use my tc integrated preamp clone with 33-like settings (bass at 0, treble like 1:00) into my jet city jca50, which is not too dissimilar a circuit (hot rod 50+ circuit). I quite like it for tight, aggressive modern stuff, but I did add a depth control that I usually leave on 10 or close to it.

With the boost on it has a tight attack but stays quite ‘chuggy’ on account of the depth being high (power amp stays loose).

You might be better off with a pedal that has a bass control like the Blade pedal. Judging by Mike Fortin’s other pedals and history, I’m guessing it’s just another tc pre clone, this time with adjustable bass and treble controls, but I haven’t seen inside one yet, to know for sure.

Ribboz likes this.
  6. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Yeah, exactly. That's how I would run it if I had the depth mod. Back when I had an Avenger, I never used it. So when I got the SLO I skipped on it.

You're probably right about another pedal being a better option. I'll admit the hype got me curious about the 33. But once that voice gets in your head, it is difficult to silence. :D

Last edited: May 28, 2019
    mnemonic likes this.
  7. mnemonic

I recorded this with my iPhone a while back, boosted with my tc pre (bass on 0, treble 1:00 so basically like the 33).

You can kind of see the eq settings except for gain (noon), bass (full) and depth (full).

You can at least get an idea from that, granted the SLO will sound and feel a bit different. At least for me the amp is too thin without the depth mod, but I’m also a huge Recto fanboy so there’s that.

Shask, Bearitone and Ribboz like this.
  8. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

If only I had got the depth mod. :D I too enjoy Rectros. I loved my Roadster. Thank you for sharing. :D

9. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

Looks like you have mids at 8 oclock, treble at 9 oclock, and presence about cranked? Volume on about 1.5?

Those are interesting settings. I have been playing my JCA100HDM a lot lately, with my MXR BAOD, or Integ. Pre clone. I usually have the presence at 2 or 3, and treble about 11-12 oclock. I will have to try lowering the treble, and cranking the presence instead.

10. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

Never played a SLO, but I have a 33 and a TC plus some other TS style boosts like a Maxon. The 33 has a lot more clean output then a TS style and a little more bass cut. If your amp is already tight you would need to dial in some more bass or use more of a rhythm channel tone. Depending on how I setup my ENGL I can have it sound good with a 33, but the ENGL when dialed in right with the right kind of pickups almost doesn't need a boost, but I still like to use one. With a TS style boost its a little less tight compared to the 33 or something of that sort. When I run the 33 with my Invader I dial up the channel bass more than I normally would and back off the mid's a little more. My only issue is that it's an awesome rhythm tone, but a little sterile in the highs for lead work. It can work, but depends a lot on the guitar and pickups as well.

Ribboz likes this.
  11. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

It also depends on tuning, a bit. The 33 sounds better with low tuning than with standard six string tuning. That's what I've found from my limited use of it, and what I've seen with other guys online.

Ribboz and mnemonic like this.
  12. mnemonic

Mids I think are around 10:00 to 11:00, but treble is really low. Presence almost on full, just backed off enough to take some of the nasty high end off.

I think it’s a very bright amp, and treble too high can get piercing, yet with presence low it can get kinda blanketed sounding. Maybe I’m just too used to rectos in modern mode, where the poweramp is loose with a big bass and sharp treble.

13. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

I have had MANY tube screamers and overdrives.

I have the 33 that I run through my Revv 100P and my KSR Orthos. It is BY FAR my favorite OD pedal. It absolutely destroys my precision drive through these amps. The feel is what i love the most, it makes the feeling so immediate yet still rich. To me it adds a 3-dimensional layer of aggression that I've yet to get with another pedal. YMMV.

Hollowway, NorCal_Val and Ribboz like this.
  14. Ribboz

Ribboz Enjoy

Thank you to everyone who commented. A lot of good points and new info for me. Thank you. :)

Yeah these are tough spots. My amp is already as thick as it's going to get it. Other than turning down the presence. But then it might dull my clean tone.

And yeah that is a constant balancing act I've had with every guitar amp. If I want tight cutting rhythm, I end up with thin piercing lead tone. And if I want a thick singy lead, I end up with a duller less focused rhythm.

Considering my amp, I think the 33 may thin out my tone and give me piercing lead tone. Hmm I'll have to think on it.

15. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Keep in mind you can also get TC Pre clone which is way cheaper than a 33 and has treble/bass controls.

16. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

That is the nice thing about a 3-4 channel amp. I can adjust my solo channel to work around something like that. Also, it depends on guitar and pickups. My baritone 7 with Lundgren M7 sounds amazing for rhythm, but that whole combo does get a bit thin for smooth solo work. This is why I keep my Maxon 808 on the board as well if I really want to go nuts and just switch to that and the lead channel for a more natural tone.

17. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

Just spent a few minutes with a 33. It's been a while since I owned an SLO, but I think the 33 would work well with it. To me the feel is a bit stiff, but I think the feel and tone of it would complement the SLO, at least at lower volumes where the SLO to me was a bit slow feeing.

18. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

OK, after some more time with it, I don't think the 33 feels stiff, but it's a subjective thing that's hard to describe.

The 33 is not what I was expecting, so it's taken me a few times coming back to it to get my head around it. It imposes a pretty dramatic EQ that does lop off a lot of bass, but it doesn't seem to add a lot of boost/gain? So it feels like everything is very quick/sharp (because of the bass cut) but the top end seems pretty normal. It's pretty easy to play, and I think sounds VERY good. I really like the pedal.

19. Shask

Shask SS.org Regular

It is mostly an EQ with a "S" type curve, or like an arctan(x) function, if you are a math guy, lol. (Google to view this). I think it does add +30db of gain if I remember right, but much of that will be used to make up the signal loss from losing so much bass. In all boosts, if you drop off a bunch of bass, you usually have to boost the signal to make up for it.

20. mnemonic

Doesn’t help that the circuit goes fixed op amp boost > fixed tone stack > passive volume control. So it pisses away a lot of that 30 volts of headroom and huge dB boost by boosting the full guitar signal, and then cutting all the bass out.

I guess it made sense in the original pedal since the tonestack was adjustable.