Formula One thread

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
Finally!! That pigheaded fuck face is no longer the world champion. Don’t get me wrong, LH is a great driver, but for someone who has met him personally, behind the scenes, and saw how he treat people behind the camera lenses, I’ve not a single ounce of respect for him.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
So imo for all the idolizing that F1 fans do of guys like Schumacher and Senna, when someone shows up who is literally willing to risk it all for a single point people’s panties get in a wad. (not specifically here just like in general).

Seeing comments about his driving it’s like do people want drivers to go for broke or not? Every overtake Max made in the last race was clear and he stayed on the track so no one can say he torpedoed. Lewis received a gimme in the first lap.

Max was the better driver this season, in the second best car. But that last lap was weird AF.

It was a strange way for it to end for sure. But at the same time Max drove better more often as evidenced by the 1 more win going into the last race even with the loss of a P1 due to tire blowout.

Nothing is final until it’s final though and this thing is for sure going to take it’s time in their courts.

Netflix has a treasure trove of material to edit so next season better be damn good, lol. In the end I liked seeing Max win, but I get the negativity towards that last race. Wild ride tho.
Senna and Schumacher were dirty drivers and I don't think they should be idolised. The problem with Max's driving is that he just doesn't care about the rules and gets treated differently for it. He still thinks he didn't do anything wrong in brake testing and his only move is to run people off the track before the apex. You saw that in the race yesterday on the first lap, which was a desperate divebomb.

The especially troubling thing is Max has talent. He made a great move on the second restart in SA for example, but instead of demonstrating that class he'd rather park his car on top of people. He expects to be handed positions and thinks he's only allowed to be overtaken if he breaks down.

Max did not have the second best car. That's just a lie. No statistic supports that. They were the fastest car at more tasks this season and had more wins and poles.

It's hard to justify Max's superiority over a season with race wins after he was gifted a win in Spa and then ran into Hamilton in Monza with a chance for the win. At best it was even and Red Bull had better reliability.

I can't enjoy Max winning because he's a bad person and a bad racer.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree that in general if a driver dives through a corner and can’t keep it on the track then that’s a fuck-up and they need to give back position. But if like in the last race he can take a crazy corner and keep his car on the track then in effect he “won” that corner and the other guy should back out.

If instead Lewis does it properly then he of course deserves the corner too.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I agree that in general if a driver dives through a corner and can’t keep it on the track then that’s a fuck-up and they need to give back position. But if like in the last race he can take a crazy corner and keep his car on the track then in effect he “won” that corner and the other guy should back out.

If instead Lewis does it properly then he of course deserves the corner too.
My problem with Max's driving is that it violates Fernando's Law.

Viginez

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
if max had a car nearly as good as lewis' he wouldn't be risking that much
he has to compensate for it and it worked out for him
rb had a decent car, if not equally good, but then merc pulled out their special edition engine from the basement when they realized things could get tight

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
After watching the race, both Lewis and Max, plus Wolffe and Horner for that matter, were all whinging little sooks.
Both Lewis and Max saying everything is unfair. They can't both be right.
Wolffe begging for the stewards to not let lapped cars through, which was probably the reason for Massi letting those 5 cars through to shut them up. (Still was wrong).

All four of them after the first corner attempted undertake by Max. The way I see it was Max had the corner but pushed Lewis off. Lewis should have slowed down more so Max was right up his gear box, but still be behind at the next corner. He would have still driven away from Max.

Multiple terrible calls by Massi. Can't see him retaining his job next year as he has too many teams not happy with his inconsistent calls.

Should Lewis be champ? Probably, but damn did Merc do their best to not allow him to win that Abudabi race.
Does Max deserve to be champ? Maybe, but not because of this race.

SD83

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Senna & Schumacher came to my mind as well, along with some other famous names... people that maybe shouldn't be idolized to the degree they are, but who made the sport more interesting. And if the Lewis vs. Max thing this season was anything, it was a great story. And I think that is what makes people remember Senna vs Prost or Schumacher vs Hill etc. to this day. You can't just replace any of those with another person of the same racing skill. To some you got hero vs. villain, to others you got two assholes competing over who's the most successful piece of shit... and that is something that I think Max has, besides skill and opportunity, that for example Perez or Sainz or Leclerc don't seem to have.

As long as no one gets seriously hurt, I'm watching this for entertainment. I am very interested in the technology behind all of it, it's hugely fascinating to me, from the precision that goes into building the engines to the efford of transporting all this stuff around the globe, but when the lights go green, I want suspense and action. I want someone to root for, someone to be mad at. And in that respect, having someone like Max in F1 is a great thing. Even Mazepin. No one cares about Latifi or even Mick Schumacher (besides the fact that he is the son of Michael Schumacher), Mazepin is worse than both combined, but it seems people get a lot more emotional about him than the other two. And honestly, I had been afraid that we'd see season after season after season of disposable drivers battleing it out, being super competetive, super skilled, but completely blank in terms of character.
[/rant]

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

You are right. How many seasons have we all thought "yep, yet another win that was expected", "Did anyone actually overtake ready?" Or "yawn!"?

The mid-pack this year was abso-friggin-lutely spectacular, I read. I would have seen it but the awful broadcast rarely showed it. I only ascertained this thought through watching the timing screen on the side of the TV...
Everyone bar those driving the Haas, Williams and Alphas had a chance to be close to the podium on any given weekend. Sometimes even the Williams and Alphas pulled out something spectacular.

Viginez

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Should Lewis be champ? Probably, but damn did Merc do their best to not allow him to win that Abudabi race.
rb is always sneakier when it comes to strategies and improvising, they also have the fastest pit stops
merc relied on their speed and drove very conservative, basically only reacting to rb, pitting when rb pits etc
they went for track position instead for fresh tires during safety car, stayed out and it backfired
that said, it was not easy for max to overtake lewis in the last lap as many think

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Mercedes drops their appeal which means they've made a deal. I hope the W13 is the most dominant car of all time.

rb is always sneakier when it comes to strategies and improvising, they also have the fastest pit stops
merc relied on their speed and drove very conservative, basically only reacting to rb, pitting when rb pits etc
they went for track position instead for fresh tires during safety car, stayed out and it backfired
that said, it was not easy for max to overtake lewis in the last lap as many think
You aren't making any sense. Mercedes made all the right decisions and if the rules had been followed they'd have won.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mercedes drops their appeal which means they've made a deal. I hope the W13 is the most dominant car of all time.

You aren't making any sense. Mercedes made all the right decisions and if the rules had been followed they'd have won.

On the first part: Nah, no you don’t. No amount of “wanting revenge” would help the sport at all if Mercedes had a DAS-level superiority over every other car. The # of moderate/new/fickle viewers who would tune out and thus drop revenues if the story went back to “merc 1-2 every weekend”.

On the second part, kind of hard to disagree here. It was fucking weird, and the only reason RB had a shot was because of the “unique” decisions made.

Imo they really should have red-flagged the race immediately with so few laps to go.

That would have maintained places and allowed for a full restart thus “unlapping” the cars ahead.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
On the first part: Nah, no you don’t. No amount of “wanting revenge” would help the sport at all if Mercedes had a DAS-level superiority over every other car. The # of moderate/new/fickle viewers who would tune out and thus drop revenues if the story went back to “merc 1-2 every weekend”.

On the second part, kind of hard to disagree here. It was fucking weird, and the only reason RB had a shot was because of the “unique” decisions made.

Imo they really should have red-flagged the race immediately with so few laps to go.

That would have maintained places and allowed for a full restart thus “unlapping” the cars ahead.
DAS wasn't what made the W11 the fastest car ever, it just helped with tyre warm up on flying laps. It was faster because they perfected the low rake concept and then that got nerfed this year.

The sport helped itself out of legitimacy this past weekend. Any moderate/new/fickle viewer that would tune out over a team being the best in a sport about teams shouldn't be watching after Abu Dhabi anyway.

SD83

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Unless they had gotten Latifis car out of the way quickly enough for all the lapped cars to get back to their places. It was a risky decision, it was gambling, and they SHOULD have won that gamble, but if I'm not mistaken they were in the position to play it safe, Hamilton was far enough ahead of Verstappen so he could have come in for fresh tires as well...
As for the "made a deal"... no matter who was right (and, again, I think Mercedes were), it would still be a title won in court. And it isn't just any championship title, it would have been Hamiltons eighth title. I don't know who makes which decisions there, but if I was Hamilton, and I had confidence in my skill, my team, next years car and my new team mate... I don't think I'd want that title.

As for viewers and questionable decisions, those are made in every sport all the time. A friend of mine is a massive football fan, and according to him, ALL the referees hate his favourite team, and they lost a bunch of matches because the other team got awarded a penalty for no reason, or their team did not, they got a red card, the other team should have but didn't etc. And no one stopped watching football after Diego Maradona did his "hand of god" thing. If they care at all, which many probably won't, they hope Hamilton & Mercedes get their revenge. And their dislike for Verstappen & Red Bull just turned into passionate hate. Red Bull are really good at being the villain in any sport they take part in.

One way or another, I can't believe I'm rooting for Hamilton next year :D I'd love to see Russell compete for no.2 in the championship.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Unless they had gotten Latifis car out of the way quickly enough for all the lapped cars to get back to their places. It was a risky decision, it was gambling, and they SHOULD have won that gamble, but if I'm not mistaken they were in the position to play it safe, Hamilton was far enough ahead of Verstappen so he could have come in for fresh tires as well...
As for the "made a deal"... no matter who was right (and, again, I think Mercedes were), it would still be a title won in court. And it isn't just any championship title, it would have been Hamiltons eighth title. I don't know who makes which decisions there, but if I was Hamilton, and I had confidence in my skill, my team, next years car and my new team mate... I don't think I'd want that title.

As for viewers and questionable decisions, those are made in every sport all the time. A friend of mine is a massive football fan, and according to him, ALL the referees hate his favourite team, and they lost a bunch of matches because the other team got awarded a penalty for no reason, or their team did not, they got a red card, the other team should have but didn't etc. And no one stopped watching football after Diego Maradona did his "hand of god" thing. If they care at all, which many probably won't, they hope Hamilton & Mercedes get their revenge. And their dislike for Verstappen & Red Bull just turned into passionate hate. Red Bull are really good at being the villain in any sport they take part in.

One way or another, I can't believe I'm rooting for Hamilton next year :D I'd love to see Russell compete for no.2 in the championship.
Mercedes didn't have the gap to pit safely to Verstappen. If they had pitted, Verstappen would stay out and hope to win under safety car or crash. People saying Red Bull made any strategy calls are forgetting that 3rd place was Perez at the time and more than a pitstop behind the leaders. That's why Verstappen was able to box a second time. Mercedes made the right decisions given what they had.

This isn't so much like a bad penalty call as it is being up 3-0 and then the referee decides the match is going to penalty shootout but only the other team can have a goalkeeper.

Hamilton wants to win on the track, I appreciate that, but the fact is if the FIA didn't screw him over he'd have 9 WDCs already.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I wanna see Russell compete for first next year. I’m sure it won’t happen given several reasons not the least of which is his teammate is Lewis Hamilton 7 time WDC.

But a man can dream.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
Allright guys, the dust has settled since the last GP shit-show and the test drives started at Barcelona. Anyone in to make some pre-season prediction? With them brand new car models, I have a feeling that the cards might be shuffled so any wild guess is welcome!

Driver champion: Lewis Hamilton will secure his record 8th world championship title and retire after. That being said, I'm hoping for a surprise run from Lando Norris as the McLarens will outscore the Ferraris this year.

Constructor champion: Mercedes-AMG
. Hamilton and Russell are a stronger duo than Verstappen and Checo in my opinion.

Biggest driver improvement: Mick Schumacher. While still being part of the bottom three, Haas will be able to score some points thanks to Schumacher, and Mazepin will.... well might finish more races.

Biggest team improvement: Williams will be back in the "rest of the best", competing with Ferrari and Alpine for the 4th place overall with Albon securing the most point of the two drivers. Alpha-Tauri will be the wildcard in there though, but only thanks to Gasly, Tsunoda still lacking experience.

Pretty sure I'll be wrong on many, if not all of my predictions, but eh, its all fun and game and I'm looking forward for this season.

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Does anyone read into Verstappen doing 700km on day 1, more than that'll get them some good driving data?
Yeah, yeah, yeah, it is over 2 races worth of driving, but it is certainly not the warm up/cool down cycle that goes on over race weekends. That is when some issues really pop up with the constant expansion and contraction of parts. I don't think it greatly shows proper in-season reliability.

Edit: bad spelling

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Mazepin's contract has been terminated.
I would have preferred him to go out based on his inability to drive safely...

Good luck to his replacement, which seems to be Fittipaldi.

Let's not turn this into a thread about the war.