Formula One thread

SD83

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
To me that was a racing incident. Taking the inside line while not being fully in front is something Lewis has done as well and he has also knocked people out into gravel over. If that had been a gravel trap and not a sausage curb no one would have been shocked that Verstappen didn’t drive through the corner.

I’m leaning blame 60/40 towards Verstappen, but at the end of the day that was a racing incident that is bound to happen in a tightly contested championship. And world champion(s) Alonso concurs, as does Rosberg.

In both cases- Why shouldn’t Verstappen try to force the overtake? Why shouldn’t Lewis simply not make room? They both “went for it” and it backfired. But they made their choices these aren’t kids in go karts.

On the topic of the Halos I don’t think after last year ANYONE would still argue against it, at a minimum at least not openly. That halo did a great job again for Lewis this weekend.

100% agreed. Regardless of who is to blame, racing incident, and as long as nobody gets hurt, I'd rather see that than 20 drivers doing 70 perfect and perfectly boring laps around any given circuit (EDIT: Make that 19, there is no way Mazepin is able to do that :D ).
And as for the Halo... people have been argueing against pretty much any safety improvements. I can understand that that central pillar may be irritating at first, but at this point it's like argueing against seat belts. Which some people still do though...

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
To me that was a racing incident. Taking the inside line while not being fully in front is something Lewis has done as well and he has also knocked people out into gravel over. If that had been a gravel trap and not a sausage curb no one would have been shocked that Verstappen didn’t drive through the corner.

I’m leaning blame 60/40 towards Verstappen, but at the end of the day that was a racing incident that is bound to happen in a tightly contested championship. And world champion(s) Alonso concurs, as does Rosberg.

In both cases- Why shouldn’t Verstappen try to force the overtake? Why shouldn’t Lewis simply not make room? They both “went for it” and it backfired. But they made their choices these aren’t kids in go karts.

On the topic of the Halos I don’t think after last year ANYONE would still argue against it, at a minimum at least not openly. That halo did a great job again for Lewis this weekend.
I could totally see the argument for racing incident if Silverstone were regarded as such, or if Max had a history of racing as fairly as he claims to. But since neither of those things are the case, we have to do something to let Max know that how he drives is not ok.

See Imola, Spain, Brooklands, and T4 Monza. All times where Max would have been in a crash if Lewis hadn't backed out. Max wants to talk about "working with the other driver" but doesn't want to take any of the responsibility for that. Lewis lost a place on lap 1 because he knew the move wasn't on, Max had less to lose here but still took the risk and took two cars out while nearly killing his rival. That move wasn't investigated because one driver had the sense to avoid a collision, while the other was on a line that couldn't make the corner.

r33per

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Also, just rewatching 1917: Dean-Charles Chapman is discount Lando Norris...

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
So Verstappen is back in the championship lead and Hamilton was pissed at the call to pit that made him loose two positions.

Beside that, a race to forget for Alonso and Vettel (and his bold move to go with slicks).

Anything else I've missed from the live commentaries? As usual, I'm at work and couldn't watch the race

r33per

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sainz had a pretty good race, to be fair. One of my rare DOTD agreement (still meaningless...).

5pwrti.jpg

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
That sure was a fun race to watch. Honestly, I think Mercedes made the right decision to pit and bank 5th place. They were probably going to end up there anyway and under even more pressure from Gasly and Norris. If they'd pitted around the same time as Perez they might have had a shot at 3rd,but I think that was the only way.
Well, that was interesting!

That penalty for Gasly was pretty harsh.
I'm sure Dr Marko wants a race ban for Gasly.

SD83

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Mazepin outdid himself in this race, being lapped at least once by every other driver except for Latifi & Russell, who were probably both in sight by the end of the race, with Russell only being 2 or 3 seconds behind him.

Last edited:

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, Mazepin outdid himself in this race, being lapped at least once by every other driver except for Latifi & Russell, who were probably both in sight by the end of the race, with Russell only being 2 or 3 seconds behind him.

Well to his defense, since Mick wasn't in the race anymore, he had no one to race against and basically just joy rided until the end lol

This Haas car isn't giving neither of them a proper shot at doing anything really. Ain't no fan of Mazepin, even compared to Mick he ain't doing much, but I wonder how much more talent he'd need to be on a competitive level

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Well to his defense, since Mick wasn't in the race anymore, he had no one to race against and basically just joy rided until the end lol

This Haas car isn't giving neither of them a proper shot at doing anything really. Ain't no fan of Mazepin, even compared to Mick he ain't doing much, but I wonder how much more talent he'd need to be on a competitive level
He's about a Mick short of Latifi