Formula One thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by TheDuatAwaits, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

What I’m saying is that while they have Mercedes engines until 2025, Merc’s “say” on one seat was only through 2021. So Williams can keep using Merc engines just without the discount and get to pick both their drivers. If it’s two different contracts, then Williams just gives up the engine discount and acts like AM/McL.

Given the massive cash infusion from Dorilton Capital who bought them out, and the bump in F1 payout if they end the season in 8th versus 10th they can “decide their own fate” as far as drivers go, just like McClaren does.

So far Williams has made it clear that their intention is not to be a “B Team/Feeder Team”.

StevenC likes this.
  2. StevenC

StevenC Javier Strat 8 2022

[​IMG]

IT'S HAPPENING

3. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Worst secret in F1.

Bloody deserves the drive. I hope Mercedes let's him and Ham race properly.

4. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Now it's a matter of determine who joins Bottas in Alfa Romeo and who the two Williams drivers will be.

StevenC likes this.
  5. Mathemagician

Hint: They won’t. At all.

He’ll have to go full-Lewis and just ignore any and all team orders if he wants a shot at fighting for wins - assuming he actually good enough to fight the 7 time world champion in the other seat.

Curious to see if they insulted him with a 1-yr contract like they did to Bottas for oh FIVE years straight.

Bodes likes this.
  6. StevenC

I'm like 90% sure Latifi has a contract already
    All Mercedes drivers have been allowed to race throughout the season. The only times Mercedes have given team orders in the Hamilton era (when drivers were on the same strategy) were 2013 in Malaysia (which was to give a podium to their new driver), 2017 Hungary (where Hamilton swapped back since he couldn't make more positions), 2018 Germany (Bottas was allowed to fight for the first 3 laps after the safety car [he had a tyre advantage] and then told to hold position because he was way behind in a close championship), 2018 Russia (again to protect Hamilton's championship position), 2020 Austrian (Bottas leading, told to hold position so as not to damage car), and 2020 Netherlands (Bottas asked not to go for fastest lap).

All the Bottas incidents were because Bottas was not in the championship battle or favoured Bottas.

But yeah, Russell definitely has a few years on his contract because he's valuable.

7. StevenC

Bodes, Dayviewer and BenjaminW like this.
  8. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Definitly looking forward to seeing Russell race for Mercedes next year.
    When in doubt, I am sure the team will go with Hamilton, not just in terms of team order, but also more favorable racing strategy or a different car setup, but they'd be stupid not to. He is one of the best drivers out there, probably one of the best there ever was, he still has the skills, the determination, the focus... but if Russell can stand his ground, that's probably the best position anyone could hope for. You have one of the best cars on the grid, one of the best crews on the grid, you have one of the best and most experienced drivers as your team mate... Hamilton won't be driving forever, after all.

Mathemagician, Bodes and StevenC like this.
  9. Dayviewer

Dayviewer Mr. Djelecaster

Oh boy we’re gonna have another field day with this one :lol:

But, Mclaren 1-2 BABY! So happy for Ricciardo, he deserved this :D

Mathemagician, Bodes, r33per and 2 others like this.
  10. StevenC

Massive congrats to Danny!

Max is a trash human on and off the track.

Bodes likes this.
  11. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

It was a nail bitting race and I could only follow it through live commentaries lol

Happy to see McLarens getting P1 and P2 and my homeboy Stroll securing P7

Bodes and StevenC like this.
  12. Vostre Roy

Vostre Roy Disciple of Djod

Ok, so I just watched a couple of replays of the incident

Hamilton was a bit agressive on its pit lane exits, didn't entirely closed the door and stayed on his racing line despite having someone right next to him in the chicane. On the other hand, Max had absolutely no opportunity to take him over, he braked way too late and as a result he was outside and going too fast in the firt turn.

I'd say its 60% Max fault and 40% Lewis mostly because, IMHO, the overtaking car has the responsability to make a safe pass, but the overtaken car also has to acknowledge the presence of another car beside him although I believe that Max's move was made too late. Two hard headed drivers competing for the title

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  13. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

The crash today also shows that even though people may not like the halo/think it looks goofy, it's proven to have saved lives in moments that otherwise would've proved potentially fatal (Lewis today and Grosjean last year).

14. StevenC

Here's a video showing how you're supposed to defend into T1 at Monza featuring the faultless Max Verstappen.

Edit: can't embed timestamps or F1 videos. It's at 3:30.

Vostre Roy, Werecow and r33per like this.
  15. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

He's like that with everything he does in F1. One rule for him, another for everyone else. I'd call him a hypocrite, but i'm not sure he's got enough self-awareness to be that. Delusional maybe?

Even just in this latest race, Lewis went straight on at a chicane when he realised Max's aggressive defence was putting him off the road. As soon as the roles are reversed, he gets into a rage about the other person not giving space, and causes a collision.
    He really doesn't know when and how to jump out of the way to save his own race.

StevenC likes this.
  16. StevenC

And here's his attempt at humility: Twitter

SD83 and Werecow like this.
  17. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Lol, after what he did at the other chicane, and what would have happened if Lewis hadn't backed out of it. Yeh, no self-awareness at all.

SD83 and StevenC like this.
  18. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

"I was squeezed out of it". No. Hamilton was squeezed out of it the first time around, Verstappen just didn't move... Yes, I'd agree, Hamilton could have left more room which would have probably cost him his position and possibly increased Verstappens lead in the championship, but even though his tires would have needed a moment to warm up, he would have been in the perfect position to take that position back asap with quicker & fresher tires. There was no point for him to risk a crash. Verstappen... he could have easily backed out and cut the chicane, but if he thought at all, as soon as he saw Hamilton come out of the pit lane ahead of him he might have known that that was probably his only shot at overtaking him for the remainder of this race.
    If I were to guess, I'd say he was still pissed because of the ruined pit stop. The way he just got out of the car and walked off, hardly ever looking at Hamilton, and walking straight along the race track... I'm all for a bit of action & drama, but that was just childish.

BenjaminW and StevenC like this.
  19. StevenC

Verstappen also spun his wheels twice after stopping while his car was on top of Hamilton. He surely knew he was in the air and there was something below him that he could either fling suspension debris into the cockpit of, or catch the helmet of with a spinning wheel.

20. Mathemagician

To me that was a racing incident. Taking the inside line while not being fully in front is something Lewis has done as well and he has also knocked people out into gravel over. If that had been a gravel trap and not a sausage curb no one would have been shocked that Verstappen didn’t drive through the corner.

I’m leaning blame 60/40 towards Verstappen, but at the end of the day that was a racing incident that is bound to happen in a tightly contested championship. And world champion(s) Alonso concurs, as does Rosberg.

In both cases- Why shouldn’t Verstappen try to force the overtake? Why shouldn’t Lewis simply not make room? They both “went for it” and it backfired. But they made their choices these aren’t kids in go karts.

On the topic of the Halos I don’t think after last year ANYONE would still argue against it, at a minimum at least not openly. That halo did a great job again for Lewis this weekend.

Vostre Roy, StevenC and SD83 like this.