Formula One thread

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One more Rawe Ceek. I’m excited for another race. Very glad to see McLaren in 3rd. And if it does happen to rain so much the better.

SD83

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
George you amazing human! Q3 in a Williams on Mediums, 9th in Q3 in a Williams, starting P8 in a Williams.

The greatest F1 talent we have.

I'm tempted to put Norris up there, too. P2 in the Mclaren, in good weather and if I'm not mistaken on the same tires as everyone else and absolutely consistent through the season so far

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My wife looked at me funny when I yelled "YESSSS" for George when made it into Q3 and again when the Merc boys couldn't knock off Lando from 2nd.

Can not wait till the race.

Bring. It. On.

I felt sorry for Alonso. Bloody Vettel. Stupid rules and strategies by teams.
GTFO of the way of fast cars.
The Merc wall asking for the FIA to set minimum lap times at short tracks like Spielberg is a great move. Sort out your separation before the final F'n turn. Someone will be hurt if this crap is allowed to continue.

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh George. You did all you could but had nothing left at the end.

Well done to Lando!

@StevenC why such a harsh criticism of Di Resta? He is ok, but did seem to get a lot more air time than in any other race.

Vostre Roy

Disciple of Djod
Reaction score
If I had to fire anyone, it'd be the Aston Martin strategists.

Good job on Lando for landing his P3, couldn't watch the race but followed it through live commentaries.

Verstappen is now in good position in the standings

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
@StevenC why such a harsh criticism of Di Resta? He is ok, but did seem to get a lot more air time than in any other race.
This week and Baku (I think) Brundle sat out so they got PDR to be the second commentator.

Di Resta is a terrible pundit because he's still so bitter about his own career and has such animosity towards certain drivers. For example, he genuinely doesn't understand why Lewis is a 7x WDC yet he can't make it onto the grid. This is because Mercedes considered Di Resta before they signed Hamilton. Also hates Vettel. Apparently all the engineers in his team also hated working with him because he wouldn't accept responsibility for anything. He really doesn't have any technical insight, especially when compared to Davidson or Rosberg, but Ant is still an actual racing driver and Nico is a world champion who doesn't need to validate himself at Sky. Even Karun has better insight most of the time, at least when he was at Channel 4. Sky seem to be using him as yet another blue flag shouty man.

As to this weekend, he was all over the place. First his terrible call on the Norris penalty: "Racing incident", "5 seconds would be too harsh", penalty is given, "Perez lost more than 5 seconds", "They gave the same penalty last year so it's consistent", "5 seconds is too harsh". For context, Christian Horner called it a racing incident and it was his driver who lost out.

Then when Hamilton passed Norris and praised him on the radio, everyone: "That was nice of him to say". Paul: "He's only saying that because he let him past." Just being bitter for the sake of it.

Then the first Perez penalty comes along and he just can't see how that move was different to the Norris move. No mention of Leclerc being ahead. No mention of Perez driving into him. No mention of hitting him twice. The best he can come up with is "They'll probably give him a penalty because they gave Norris a penalty." Perez only made the corner by playing bumper cars, but because Paul races in DTM of all things he gets an opinion? Then Perez pulls another dodgy defensive move on Leclerc and it's once again glossed over.

Later, Chuck is doing some more crazy moves but against Ricciardo this time. "How did they not touch?" Because Perez wasn't involved.

Finally he sums up Max's weekend and Red Bull's 5 race win streak by saying: "Had a quiet Friday, come out and put a marker down here that they've upped their game." Which is the most mindless thing anyone has ever said. He literally topped FP1 and was 3rd in FP3. Just totally meaningless words to fill his quota.

Werecow

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've never liked Di Resta. I don't watch Sky all that often, but i've actually never seen him laugh when the others are joking around. I'm not sure if i've even seen him smile. He does seem genuinely pissed off & bitter when talking about F1.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
I've never liked Di Resta. I don't watch Sky all that often, but i've actually never seen him laugh when the others are joking around. I'm not sure if i've even seen him smile. He does seem genuinely pissed off & bitter when talking about F1.
Compared to DC and Brundle who genuinely love the sport, he's an embarrassing pundit.

He makes Simon Lazenby look like a knowledgeable and interested fan.

Bodes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess I watch the race at low volume not to wake my little one, so Di Resta may not come across the same way to me.

He does seem a little angry, but that could just be his half-Scottish accent. They always sound angry. Hahaha.

Plus I always see 'special comments' people as not that great, but only comment on specific things.
The Australian Football League have some real doozies (can that person actually tie their shoes?) on special comments, so that might sway my lack of negative opinion on Di Resta.

StevenC

Javier Strat 7 2024
Reaction score
Fair enough. I guess I watch the race at low volume not to wake my little one, so Di Resta may not come across the same way to me.

He does seem a little angry, but that could just be his half-Scottish accent. They always sound angry. Hahaha.

Plus I always see 'special comments' people as not that great, but only comment on specific things.
The Australian Football League have some real doozies (can that person actually tie their shoes?) on special comments, so that might sway my lack of negative opinion on Di Resta.
DC is both Scottish and a colour commentator. He's neither angry or an imbecile.

Di Resta is just the worst.