Formula One thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by TheDuatAwaits, Oct 30, 2012.

1. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Yeah, I agree. But the most interesting drive was probably the one about whom the world feed went from showing DNF stat graphics while in the wall/gravel to "12 seconds from VER" in the space of like 3 racing laps. Literally lapped to second. Compared to Lando's post red flag antics of overtaking a car using a tyre advantage, not ever being attacked back by that car, losing the place to a third car, and never troubling the leader on pace once.

Want to guess what Hamilton's last dotd win was? It wasn't winning a race with great strategy and defending in a slower car in Bahrain 2021. It wasn't winning a 7th title in dramatic fashion in wild weather conditions, taking a car that didn't show pace all weekend and turning out a dominant win in Turkey. Nope! Max has a boring win in the best car at the 70th Anniversary GP? Obvious dotd.

Lewis has to win a race on three wheels to get the dotd nod, Max Verstappen got in Sochi last year basically for turning up. Nico Hulkenberg literally got one for turning up. It's a dumb award that is dumb.

r33per likes this.
  2. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah it’s a people choice award, and those are notoriously worse than industry awards which themselves are usually rigged/uninspired. I def think Lewis could have deserved it, but his show came at like the 90% mark of the race and I bet the bulk of the votes were in much earlier than that.

StevenC likes this.
  3. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Voting opens with about 10% to 15% of the race to go usually. Driver of the day is a joke award that only exists to annoy me.

r33per and Mathemagician like this.
  4. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

Oh, I understand. Hammer's so good it actually pissed me off. That was again, undeniably impressive.

But I think people just ignore him in DOTD because he always wins everything else. Look at the world titles, look at the records, you know the drill...it's the one thing people have the chance to NOT make him win. :lol:

StevenC likes this.
  5. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

I actually got mad at him at the checkered flag. I was like WHYYYYY ARE YOU STILL HERE?!!!! :lol:

Remember that scene in Snatch when Tony just keeps shooting Boris and he won't fucking die? SAME THING. :lol:

StevenC likes this.
  6. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

+1

Sometimes a bit rough, but a reasonably enjoyable race.
    As for Kimi, Seb and Fred - well. It's a bit embarrassing watching WDC winners squabbling about for a double-figure position finish.

StevenC likes this.
  7. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Breezy out there today.
    My wife is due pretty much any time now. If baby arrives tomorrow, it mind end up being called Portimao...

StevenC likes this.
  8. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

So if Lewis wins, the baby gets a Marshall; if Max wins the baby gets a Hook; if Sergio wins, the baby gets an EVH; and if Valtteri wins, the baby gets a Diezel?

r33per likes this.
  9. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Either way, baby gets an Ibby:wub:

StevenC likes this.
  10. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I get it!!! :lol::lol::lol:

11. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

And funnily enough, we're now in the labour ward! Anyways, wrong thread: over to the "why I'm happy" thread in a few hours :ryan:

SD83 and StevenC like this.
  12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Good race today. Shame Bottas had the issue, or it could have been really exciting at the end.

Good race from Alonso, probably he or Hamilton had the best race. Also Leclerc had a great day out, but I'm starting to wonder about Sainz now that he's getting real competition. Too early to tell for sure though.

Werecow likes this.
  13. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I'm starting to wonder a bit about Ricciardo as well. Before the season i expected him to massacre Norris. Then the Mclaren boss said Norris had made a big step forward as a driver over the winter, and it really seems like it. Still, i did not expect qualifying to go like this race, opposite ends of the grid in Q1.
    In the Last race Norris was in a totally different league as well.
    I can see some struggle moving to a new team, but Ricciardo keeps looking like he's outclassed or even doesn't deserve his place in the team at the moment.

StevenC likes this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

He was slow to pick up the pace at Renault, too, and quali yesterday was wild overall. Presumably he'll get on the pace soon and start showing his ability, because I've never seen any reason to think Norris is this good. That would be a huge leap over one winter.

15. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

I'm time and time again amazed by Hamiltons persistence. He did win all there is to win in F1, and then some more, he holds basically every possible record (and he's probably stupidly rich by now), and he's still perfectly focused, he still almost desperately wants to win every single race... that's great to see.
    So far, biggest disappointment is Vettel who is still absolutely useless in his Aston, the biggest suprise is probably Norris.

r33per, Mathemagician and StevenC like this.
  16. Bodes

Bodes SS.org Regular

Can we please reserve the term "useless" to Mazepin???

Finished 1 min behind team mate, Schumacher or not, both have the same amount of race experience.
    Thinks he is driving dodge-em cars, or is completely unaware of his surroundings.
    Please take his licence off him, before he kills someone!

r33per, Mathemagician and StevenC like this.
  17. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

I was preferring to never acknowledge he exists, but yeh he's getting dangerous out there now that he hasn't spun off at the first turn.

18. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

To be fair, I wouldn't be surprised if Ferrari is just giving the edge to Leclerc. Much like Red Bull, Ferrari has always been a 1-driver team. Yeah they got a good pairing, but Charles has been their guy ever since he joined, and I never believed it was a good move for Carlos to be going there.

Indeed, Danny had a slow climb at Renault as well. He seems to be a bit of a perfectionist and needs to work out all the details before he can really start pushing.

As for Lando, he's amazing. I hope this kid goes the distance, he's my favourite on the grid at the moment. Super cool guy, great talent at the wheel, always competitive yet fair with everyone.

Let's not pretend Stroll is doing any better. Now that the car isn't a carbon copy of the Mercedes anymore, are we really that surprised they've fallen back to their midfield slot? I think we all had our hopes up for the new Aston Martin team and Vettel, but I guess we were brought back to reality.

StevenC and Mathemagician like this.
  19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Honestly I thought it was food race all around a real fight for P1, and some great fights across the upper mid pack.

Imo, Sainz went to Ferrari to go to Ferrari. I don’t think he expected to upend the guy with a 6 year contract at least not immediately.

I’m about to buy McLaren merch since the the de-facto US team and prior to this season I would have told you it would have Daniels name on it but Landoooooo has been crushing it and throwing that car into consistent top 5’s.

I really hope Aston Martin can work out all their little gremlins to push the midpack.

Alonso showing some real zest in his race which I’m glad to see him and Ocon getting points.

Ah Haas. That’s all I’ll spend letters on with them.

StevenC likes this.
  20. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

To be fair to Aston Martin, I don't think Otmar is entirely wrong with his low rake comments. Maybe it wasn't an intentional hit on them, but FI/RP have been a top 5 car and capable of podiums pretty much every year since 2014. I don't it was unreasonable to expect them to produce a car this year that was at least around where Ferrari and McLaren are, since that's where they've been lately.

Though, on the the other hand FI/RP have never been a team to come up with the unique solutions that get copied when not leading the pack, in the way McLaren have recently.

Mathemagician and r33per like this.