Formula One thread

Discussion in 'Sports Talk' started by TheDuatAwaits, Oct 30, 2012.

1. SD83

SD83 SS.org Regular

Just watched the highlights... for the first time ever, there is no Formula One on free TV in Germany, and if that race is anything to go by it might be one of the best seasons in a long time.

StevenC likes this.
  2. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Loved it, great opener.

A lot of good performances in that race, to be fair - McLarens, Ferraris, Tsunoda, Perez. Vettel and Mazepin on the other hand...:facepalm:

StevenC likes this.
  3. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

Mazepin's start is exactly what i want to see from him the rest of the season.

I don't get Vettel. Outside of the car he seems really together and likeable, but inside he'll have races where he either looks like someone driving an F1 car for the first time, turn into a psycho, or become genuinely mentally deluded like today when he insisted Ocon changed lanes and moved over on him.

Bodes and StevenC like this.
  4. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Mazepin taking care of himself in the 2nd corner.
    This season has so much promise, I can't wait for more Max and Lewis battles. Yuki comes storming out of the gates. Mclaren and Ferrari both looking competitive, more surprised by Ferrari but Sam Collins absolutely called that even though everyone thought he was crazy for saying so.
    Perez might just be the perfect wingman for Max.

StevenC likes this.
  5. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Vettel's move today was either a mistake made from very poor judgment, or it's a sign he's lost his spark. Admittedly the low rake cars did get fucked, so ironically he once again finds himself in a car with balance issues, but today's crash into Ocon had little to do with balance. I like him a lot and I hope he finds his way this season, but it's pretty clear at this point, if Stroll fares better than him, they will likely not keep Vettel.

TheTrooper, StevenC and r33per like this.
  6. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

The weirdest thing is when he blames those mistakes on something that very clearly didn't happen. He's done that quite a few times before.

I'm just waiting for one where he says the barrier jumped out at him :lol:

StevenC likes this.
  7. r33per

r33per SS.org Regular

Also, what was with the lack of podium celebration? I get that Max and Bottas were pretty "meh" about the results, but they're all much more professional than to just clink the bottles and walk off.

All I could come up with is that it was some kind of "sparkling water" protest, what with the Kingdom being a "dry" country.

TheTrooper and StevenC like this.
  8. TheTrooper

TheTrooper SS.org Regular

Great race, very eventful, and one of the better first race of the last 10 years.

Fully agree, a shame Seb had so much trouble during this weekend; hopefully he can get back on track with the Aston.

He did get 5 points though..........deducted from his superlicense.

(I really really thought Astom martin was going to be 3rd quickest........)

StevenC likes this.
  9. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Did anyone really expect anything else out of Mazepin?

Why can't Jeff Bezos be interested in F1? Haas is not getting it done.

StevenC likes this.
  10. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

Yup. The water doesn't bubble up like champagne and it apparently tastes like ass, so the drivers just don't bother. I thought it was pretty funny. :lol:

As for Mazepin, I don't believe this guy will finish the season in F1. He has shown no talent, in testing, or in the three turns of the race he participated in. You don't want that kind of danger on a race track. Either the FIA will look into revoking his Super License, or someone, a team, will start protesting his seat in the sport.

StevenC likes this.
  11. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

This is the most painful irony I've ever felt watching F1... I think everyone wanted him to blast out of the grid and be super competitive, but wow was that a disappointment. In the end though, this is a much needed shuffle, just the simple fact that this has made Ferrari competitive is like a breath of fresh air, whether you're a fan of them or not.

StevenC likes this.
  12. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Two stunning laps that nobody could touch.

99 poles at 30 different circuits.

r33per likes this.
  13. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

I was going to be soooo happy for Lando. :(

He's been absolutely killing it, this guy needs all the backing he needs to become a World Champion some day.

r33per, StevenC, Bodes and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Because F1 doesn’t race space ships or some other sci-fi shit, lol. Man I would love to see Haas do better though, it’s fun to chant “U. S. A.” at everything.

So I have a very unique and original hot take here but: those Honda engines are spicy. I’m not ashamed to say it, they are caliente.

But yeah if the qualifying grid (and Lando’s lap) are anything to go by this race should shape up to be quite interesting.

StevenC likes this.
  15. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

It's another painful irony that they seem to have developed a very good engine for their final year in the sport.

Just imagine if Red Bull were to REALLY challenge the Mercs all year... How do you justify leaving the sport then, right?

Mathemagician and StevenC like this.
  16. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

I have come to once again complain about dotd voting.

And cry for my boy George.

r33per and Mathemagician like this.
  17. Kobalt

Kobalt SS.org Regular

What's wrong with Lando? Once the team released him from Danny, he just flew!

About Russell and Bottas, heh I think George miscalculated his approach. When you look at the replay on slow-motion, Bottas just keeps to the dry line, albeit moving slightly to the right of it, but there were no sudden jolts. It's a racing incident for me. It sucks for George, because he's lost many great possible finishes lately, so I understand his frustrations. And the sheer fact that he was overtaking a Mercedes in a Williams just once again showed how Bottas is average at best and only really shines when he's in Hammer's tow.

Mathemagician and StevenC like this.
  18. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Lando got his podium because of the red flag and didn't really do much else. He would have been 20 seconds behind Chuck otherwise. He seemed to do better than the Ferraris at the end but got lucky with Perez spinning off to have a podium even with the red flag. Lando was faster than his teammate, sure, but his race wasn't that impressive otherwise.

Verstappen was second in voting for some reason. He won the race while having arguably the fastest car and rarely ever being the fastest driver. He was faster at the start while Lewis was dealing with a stake dangling around, then was the same speed as Lewis for a good chunk of time, then was significantly slower in the crossover period and was losing time again on the mediums before the red flag. In the closing stages Lewis had the fastest lap even after overtaking 7 cars, and only had such a gap because again Lewis had to overtake 7 cars. Had they been first and second at the restart, the gap wouldn't be there and Lewis had a good shot at the win.

If you want to make the argument that Lewis shouldn't get it because he spun, Max nearly binned it and took Chuck with him behind the safety car. Plenty of drivers have won dotd after spinning and having a great recovery drive, its basically how you win dotd.

Lando Norris has 3 dotd in 2 years and 2 races. Max has 28 dotd and 11 wins. Lewis has 8 dotd and 53 wins. Daniel Ricciardo also has 8. Dotd is a stupid award that they should get rid of because it's unrepresentative of anything but what decent drive has the most fans.

r33per likes this.
  19. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Yeah I mean, on one hand Russell has thoroughly embarrassed Bottas at this point. It was a tough race on the wet so Bottas couldn’t just rely on the car doing it’s thing and bro it shows. However, it did look like Russel just got a bit too greedy and rushed an overtake he might otherwise have been able to make a bit later. He’s not a rookie anymore and while these things happen, still.

So to me DOTD is not about best drive, it’s about most interesting. If you spin out from P14 to P20 and get back up to P10, you’re likely to win DOTD.

IMO, Lando won because he put on a great show and held position against full works teams by getting into position early and gambling on like 30 laps of soft tires.

StevenC likes this.
  20. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

lando good
    mazepin bad

Bodes, r33per and StevenC like this.