For those of you that found Juggernauts "tubby"...

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Silence2-38554, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 Mobius Guitars

What did you end up replacing them with? I have a set of Juggernaut 7's in my Sabre Syren 7 right now & I think the pickup route is just far enough away from the bridge that I can't get a fast, tight response from the low strings without ruining the voicing of all the higher strings. It could also be because I tune to drop Ab and it's a 25.5" scale 7. I currently have it set up with a custom equal tension string gauge set from Stringjoy, I believe .10-.68 or so.

So then, here's how the bridge pickup is mounted:

[​IMG]

With the treble side tilted slightly away from the bridge, I'm thinking either Black Hawks, Painkillers or Nailbombs. The tilt is to help with the high strings from sounding shrill on the bridge pickup, but the Juggernaut was designed to keep them from sounding shrill as well so what I think I'm running into is a bit of overcompensation by combining the two. As for the woods, it's a thin swamp ash body, wenge neck and maple fretboard.

Excited to hear your input!

2. Yodel

Yodel Banned

I ditched the Juggs after one rehearsal for a pair of DiMarzios (Evo/Air Norton) and couldn't have been happier. Guitar was an Ibanez RGD7 back then.

3. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

Instrumental SFTY3.

4. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

I think you should chuck the guitar in the bin. If Juggernauts can't make it sound great, you might as well give up.

(Or put those EVOs in, which I personally wouldn't touch with a stick).

5. Silence2-38554

Silence2-38554 Mobius Guitars

A set of these may very well be in the future but I went ahead & got a set of Fluence Moderns on the way :hbang:

"Iyf teh JUGGZZ rnt maekyng teh purfekt djentz, thrao teh gitarz en teh gerberdggggg".

Cool reply. Maybe try being constructive, I'm clearly not the only one on this site that thinks the Juggs have an excess of low-mid in certain guitars. I'm not faulting the juggs altogether, I'm just saying they sound a little bloated in my 25.5" scale 7 string that is tuned down. Misha developed them in a 26.5" scale guitar with a basswood body & maple neck (his Jackson), so it makes sense they're sounding a little too fat in a 25.5" scale 7 with a wenge neck & ash body. I will be keeping them for my 26.5" scale build this summer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing how the Fluence Moderns compare to Juggs in the same guitar. If for whatever reason I'm not into them, I'll have a set of Black Hawks or SFTY-3's on order pretty quick.

6. nistley

nistley SS.org Regular

I like both Evo and Juggs, but yeah, they're likely completely different sound, and whats funny is that I prefer evo2 for riffs and Jugg for lead, the opposite of artists specialities :)

Anyway, yes, Juggs have the low mids, but it is not bloated, the amp/overdrive just has to be bright and the strings should be bright too. They sound better than anything else to me when compensated for, thats what brings out the clarity and dynamics. I can't dial the fizz out of Evo2 no matter how hard I try, but I can always add presence on the Juggernauts and reduce the lows.

All the mentioned pickups sound like good alternatives, but I would go for Painkillers.

7. Lilarcor

Lilarcor SS.org Regular

The Painkiller was recommended to me by BKP some time ago when I asked for a pup that's like the Evo only better. Went with a Coldsweat set back then 'cause I wanted something a bit more classic.