For my first 8 string guitar...

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Lucascp, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Lucascp

Lucascp Member

I've been thinking of getting an 8 string for a few months now, but being back in school I did not have the budget to simply jump in. I may be able to get one now, but my budget is still low. It's just that I don't really want to wait another year.

Right now I play with a Jackson JS22-7 and I really like how it feels, considered I tried Schecter 7 and 8 strings and I just hated it. the JS22-7 may be too cheap though, the nut and tuners are horrible.

So since I like Jackson, the JS32-8 could be an option (520 cad + taxes, so that's about 600). But I am afraid of it being as cheap as my other one. It's basically the same guitar, with an extra string I think. I can't find many demos of it.

The Ibanez RG8 is also a model that comes up often. it's about 679 cad + taxes, so about 780 which is starting to get pretty high for me. I hear it's good, with a few mixed feelings about the pickups. Still, I find youtube videos where it sounds pretty good. What I dislike the most is that I only see the white model available. *(woah, after writing this I was able to find a black one brand new for less than 600, no idea why the price varies so much in my area)*

The Agile Septor 827 is another guitar that really interests me. Actually, the first time I listened to 8 string stuff and really liked it, it was tracks recorded with an Agile guitar. They look great and from pretty much all the demos/tracks I heard they sound awesome. For cheap pickups, I am impressed. But I did hear that they can have quality issues. The main issue is simply that even if they are quite cheap, with the exchange rate and incredibly high shipping, that 370 usd goes up to 750 cad.

So yeah, I am wondering what to get. Local stores don't carry any of them, so I can't test any. I am open to other suggestions too!

TLDR : Jackson J32-8, Ibanez RG8, Agile Septor 827 which gets expensive with shipping or something else? And why?

Thanks!

2. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

If I could I wouldn't hesitate and buy the Agile: it's a better guitar overall. I had a Ibanez RG8 back in the day and a JS22-7 like the one you have and while I loved my cheap JS22-7 because the neck just felt amazing and smooth the JS32-8 I played in a store was... horrible for me. The neck felt completely different: extremely flat in the back, too big and wide, big shoulders... I just couldn't get along that neck.

The RG8, on the other hand, I had it even before the Js22-7 and I loved that guitar, even today if I find one cheap for local buy I would buy one (I live in a small place now and everything needs to be shipped and I don't want to pay shipping costs and taxes, you understand me)

So, if I were you: Agile > RG8 > JS32-8 (only if that is the only chance to get an 8 stringer but really I would never buy that guitar, not because of the quality, but because of the neck comfort and that is so personal that it might work for you)

3. Lucascp

Lucascp Member

Thanks for your input, I had no idea at all about the js32-8! I really thought it was about the same, which is why it was on the list.. because it would have been familiar. And now that I know I can get the RG8 for about the same price, even less overall, I don't think I would go with Jackson.

Do you own or tried an Agile? I never owned an Ibanez, but it always seemed like a sure thing. I mean, I tried some basses and even the cheap ones always felt great, while some people will tell that Agile is on the cheaper side and not a well known brand.

The Agile is about 175 more than the RG8 for me. Is the extra cost justified? Feels so bad paying over 200 in shipping haha...

Zhysick likes this.
  4. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

I had an Agile Pendulum 82728 a few years back and it was one of the best guitars I have ever had. I could say that the medium jumbo frets are on the lower side, I would highly prefer taller frets like the extra jumbo you have on that Jackson, but apart from that it was an amazing and almost perfect guitar. I had the one with the old active pickups and, while those sounded very very good, I've never been a fan of active pickups (except the 81 for 6 strings in a mahogany guitar, only) so I swapped out the Cepheus pups for a few pickups (tried BKP Nailbombs = rubbish, I hate that pups, Lace Deathbuckers = not bad but not my thing either) and ended up with a pair of BKP Juggernauts and that combo was just KILLER. If I think about it I really think it was the best sounding guitar I have ever had... maybe the Les Paul standard sounded better but it is always easier to nail a GREAT tone from a 6 string than from an 8 string so comparatively probably the Agile with the BKP Juggernaut set was the best sounding guitar I've ever had and trust me when I say I have had a LOT of different guitars with TONS of different pickups... not lately but during my first years with guitars I was just crazy swapping pickups and guitars.

Would I buy an Agile again? No, because I live in Europe and here there is no guarantee and, back then, there was no other option for a multiscale 8 string but today there are other options AND I am not into that anymore so, if I am going to buy a "cheap" 6 stringer I could get a lot here in Europe with all the guarantees and all that things.

But yeah, I miss my Pendulum, quite a lot...

5. Lucascp

Lucascp Member

Hmm but I am speaking of a simple Septor 827, which is kinda the cheapest you can get. A Pendulum is destined to be a much better guitar, as is it more than double the price of the Septor or the RG8. It's a shame, there's a nice 7 string pendulum B-stock, going pretty cheap

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  6. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

I would suggest instead of buying a brand new RG8 Id look for an used Ibanez 8 Iron label. Will Def be higher quality with way better Pickups (the rg8 stock ones are pure sh*t)
    RG8s are kinda a hit or miss. Some with a good setup play beautifully while others have a horrible fret job etc.
    If u let a competent luthier do his job on a RG8 tho it should be good to go

7. Lucascp

Lucascp Member

Yeah, I have been looking at the used market for the last 3 months and it's almost non existent locally. I see an 8 string pop here and there, but it's always sold before I can get to it. And used has to be local (no shipping), or from a shop

8. AxiomXIII

AxiomXIII SS.org Regular

Yea I agree for instruments in the lower price segment its always better to play before buying. For higher end stuff like Prestiges etc its safer to go for shipping since those lines are mostly without big issues in terms of QC

9. ChugThisBoy

ChugThisBoy SS.org Regular

Agile > RG8

10. Lucascp

Lucascp Member

So as much as I want Agile, the question is more if it's really worth 150-200 more than the rg8

11. Lucascp

Lucascp Member

A used rg8 just popped at driving distance. It's the black one with white binding, that comes with EMG pickups. 800 (the standard basic rg8 is 600 new). Any comments on that?

12. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

Get the agile.

13. Go To Bed Jessica

Go To Bed Jessica SS.org Regular

If you're going agile, maybe consider a 28" scale? 27 is the bare minimum for a standard tuned 8 string imo, unless you can handle playing super light strings with not much tension. The extra inch of scale length is worth it in terms of tone and playability for the lower register, without making the top end too hard to handle.

14. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

15. Lucascp

Lucascp Member

The septor I want is on sale now! I think I'll just jump on it. Thanks though! :)

Zhysick likes this.
  16. ChugThisBoy

Just go for it. If it will have some basic issues upon arrival, for ex. high action, messy intonation etc. - just give it to a tech for adjustement if you can't do it by yourself. Besides that, it should be better that standard RG8's or something similar. You can always change the stock pickups too

17. Lucascp

Lucascp Member

I bought it! 100 cad off was the call I needed. Should I go ahead and get some .80 ? New to 8 strings might tune to E

18. ChugThisBoy

I'd say .80 is minimum for low E. I can be wrong as I didn't own an 8 before

19. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

i have owned a couple of agile 8 strings and played a number of different rg8s. I didn't get along with the agile neck profile. It felt too thick and wide to me. They are a better quality guitar than the rg8 but honestly of the two i'd go with the rg8. The neck profile feel better to me and the neck doesn't feel and wide or thick. The RGMS8 MAPs at 599 and might be a little bit nicer option plus you get the multi-scale which makes the transition to the longer scale a little easier IMO. The rg80E is cool but I am pretty sure it only comes in orange.

20. fproject

fproject Active Member

The Ibanez RG8 is very nice. Its a well made guitar for the price. I ended up going with an LTD EC-258 which I much prefer. I feel like its a slightly better guitar and I prefer the 26.5" scale length vs the 27" on the Ibanez.
    The LTD has the coil split which I find very useful when using the neck pickup. The one thing I'd change is the tuners.

jarledge likes this.