fm9???

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Unlikely unless supply is constrained. The FM3 is a bit different because they also want to maintain its price as low as possible to serve as an entry level device.
I thought one of the two chips from the old fm9 was shared between the fm3. Looks like it was just the UI and systems chip. Nothing impacting modeling and dsp.

Mathemagician

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
FM9 Turbo incoming. For $100 more or something. No more FM9 "standard" the way I understood the chatter. I swear, those who name Fractal products and iterations are middle-aged dads. "Turbo" lol

View attachment 112232

Try named by millenials who grew up on street fighter.

So yeah middle aged dads.

Damn. Played myself.

I get hesitant buying gear now, especially digital, because every time I do they release a new better version the next day.

Maybe I'm cursed. Just you watch, when I buy an EVH 5153, they'll announce the 5154.

So go buy one. Help out the rest of us.

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How "much" DSP does something like this have over the helix floor unit? I realize it can't be quantified this simply, but if someone could explain like I'm 5 that'd be great. I literally max out every helix preset veeeery quickly.

I'm sure someone knows the actual answer, but it's a moot point because none of these companies are utilizing the chips the same way. One company has all amp modeling on one chip, effects on another, some mix it up, some algorithms use up more CPU than another, etc.

I've never used a Helix or know anything about their processing, but are you mainly doing big ass kitchen sink preset?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I'm sure someone knows the actual answer, but it's a moot point because none of these companies are utilizing the chips the same way. One company has all amp modeling on one chip, effects on another, some mix it up, some algorithms use up more CPU than another, etc.

I've never used a Helix or know anything about their processing, but are you mainly doing big ass kitchen sink preset?
Yeah I like big patches with snapshots and lots of poly/pitch/DSP hungry effects, I hate the delay between Preset switches so I just try to keep it all in one.

laxu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How "much" DSP does something like this have over the helix floor unit? I realize it can't be quantified this simply, but if someone could explain like I'm 5 that'd be great. I literally max out every helix preset veeeery quickly.
If you manage to max out full Helix presets easily then you are most likely doing something excessive like trying to run too much of a kitchen sink setup in one preset or not utilizing the dual paths effectively.

Helix and QC instead use the "block per model" approach so if you want to switch between two amp models you need two amp blocks. IR block is the only one that can really effectively change cab sims on the fly. Snapshots allow for parameter changes inside the blocks though.

The difference to Fractal is mostly about the channels feature which lets you switch between 4 different sets of models and/or parameters within that same block. So you could go from a Fender to Marshall to Soldano to 5150 within a single amp block. Fractal is also not limited by the number of parallel paths whereas Helix has 1 parallel path per CPU.

Realistically Helix is "two amps/cabs plus some fx in one preset" if you try to cram everything into one. FM9 is "two amp/cab blocks but that's 8 amps & 8x2 IRs plus fx".