Flat Freq. Response Pups. Better For Lower Tunings?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Carl Kolchak, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

Not having tried any myself, I was wondering if flat freq pups generally make one's 7/8 string sonic life easier, or do they introduce more problems than they ostensively solve?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

The only difference would be more low end and more highs.

If that's what you're looking for.

Everyone gets wrapped up in the concept of "full" or "flat" response, when it's the lack of and tailoring of these that gives us conventional "good" guitar tone.

You want the lows to be toned down so your signal is "tighter", you want certain mid frequencies rolled back so it's not "nasal", and if treble is left untouched it'll be brittle or "sharp".

What do you want that your current rig isn't giving you? If the answer is "more frequencies at the far ends", then something that colors the tone less might be something to look into.

You can explore the concept in real time by hooking your guitar rig up to a 3-way PA speaker instead of a guitar cab.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Lace, Cyfi and Q Tuners are the ones right?

Ive tried Lace. Had Xbar/Deathbar set. Hated the deathbar but the xbar was lovely.

However now i own a kemper and tones are incredible. Probably would end up enjoying the deathbar again now if i tried again

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I don't spend a ton of time doiong heavily detuned stuff, but my experience and understanding has always been that if you want really low notes to cut, your best bet is a brighter, snappier pickup to help give your sound attack and definition.

5. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

After talking to Tom Winspear about it: a certain amount is desirable, sure. Too much and playing heavy ERG’s and it might negate the heavy tone or feel you’re looking for. Depends also on your rig and what not, but after talking to Tom, I still feel Fluence offer the best solution overall[as opposed to Cycfi which are TOO true FRFR], however, if you want passive, I highly recommend Lundgren[serious power for low tunings, clarity is unbeleivable] or Lace[FRFR, so incredible clarity, but some call it too sterile, lacking, cold, and scooped]

So it kind of depends what you want to create...if you have a genre, maybe we can throw some more ideas suited to your needs, if u will

6. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire jUsT bUy A 5150

Flat response is definitely not what you want for lower tunings. The lower you go the more important it becomes to keep the sub 250hz frequencies controlled. Getting really good low end clarity is the hardest part about 8+ string pickups ime. I've found very few pickups that manage to hold up clarity wise for extended chords involving the 7th/8th strings.

The cycfi stuff is cool since it starts as flat response, but you can essentially "model" other pickups' EQ curves via the preamp. It opens up a metric ton of possibilities, especially with their piezo stuff. They have a video demo where they essentially nail the nylon string classical sound on an electric.

Lace xbars are cool for 8 string+ stuff just due to the clarity and phenomenal cleans but they have a very rounded/bloated low end which needs to be tightened up ime. Deathbars tighten up the low end but just sound worse in comparison

lewis and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  7. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy OG Shredder

Yes the Cycfi stuff is , as stated on their site , for nerd hackers...people who are probably well versed in midi...I couldn’t get use out of that: but +2^ for Lace...

although I beleive a Carpenter 7/8 string set is the way for The ultimate metal pup (ATM lol )

8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Wonder how the lace x bars would sound being paired with an onboard soloution designed for tightening.

I want to get a bunch of EMG Rpc knobs in my active guitars to try that but i think they are a passive accessory right? So technically should work with passive pickups too.

In theory, on paper an Lace X Bar + RPC Knob would be a perfect match.

9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Flat response pickups give you more to sculpt away with your EQ, but tend to sound harsh if you don't tame them. It's all just a matter of your approach.