fitting EMGs`s in a rg7?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by uv-7, Apr 20, 2005.

1. uv-7

uv-7 Member

do they fit? or do I have to pull out some equipment and start an operation?

2. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

you may have to route some of the wood. i'd suggest getting a professional to do it, or if you're familiar with woodworking, you could try it yourself.

3. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

you WILL have to route wood.

4. uv-7

uv-7 Member

thanks for the answers! why do ibanez shape the sockets to the pickups like that? stupid if you ask me.

5. Cyanide_Anima

Cyanide_Anima BLOOOOM!

its because the emg 707's and 81-7's are in a 5 string bass pickup case. they are boxy and a little bit wider. you wont have to route a lot of wood out. just measure correctly, bust out the dremel and go for it. im gunna. but dont listen to me, i treat my UV7BK like shit! rofl.

6. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Exactly, it's more "Why does EMG shape their pickups like that?" I guess the story goes EMG 7's started off as a custom shop only deal, and as it would have been really expensive to create a new housing from the ground up, they simply used a 5-string bass one. By the time they eventually went into production, there'd been so many custom orders for them that it would have made less sense to change to a "normal" pickup shape than to continue using the bass housing shape.

Of course, my question still is, "why not offer a normal-sized 7 pickup as an option?" *shrug*

Lundgren's Model M is probably the closest you'll get to an EMG sound in a passive pickup, and requires no routing. Last I heard (before the US dollar took a nosedive) they were about $200 a peice, but when you factor in the cost of EMGs and the cost of routing, it's not really a bad price.

-D

7. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

I think EMG is really shooting themselves in the foot with that stupid design.

As much as I love EMGs I really dont wanna go through the trouble of carving up my RG for em. Rather, Id hate to change my mind down the road and be stuck with big ugly holes. Of course I could just get a pick-guard, but thats not the point.

8. LordOVchaoS

LordOVchaoS NUDE MAN! Forum MVP

If you want to route it yourself and are afraid that you'll get a bit sloppy, you can buy some 707 pickup rings at www.fretsonthenet.com

They match the pickups perfect in color and gloss, they look really good and cover about 1/4" around the outside of the pickup!

9. aldog1330

aldog1330 I like beer

Yeah, it sucks that you have to route, but I actually kinda like the look of the EMG 7's in the bass casing. I dunno, that's just me...but they definitely look metal!

10. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

+ no batteries!!! :yesway:

11. LordOVchaoS

LordOVchaoS NUDE MAN! Forum MVP

Lundgrens are too expensive for my blood.

12. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

it seems that they'd be cheaper, versus EMG's + professional routing.

13. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

It's close - found EMG's online for $101 a peice, and looking at LGM's pricing, I'm guessing maybe $50 to route, per pickup. So, it's like a $49 difference, unless you route yourself, and when you consider a few year's worth of 9V batteries...

-D

14. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

using the battery thing as an argument against active pickups is pretty damn stupid. You literally would have to play about 4 months STRAIGHT (yes, 24 hours a day for 4 months) to kill the battery.

and before somebody brings up one of my biggest peeves: NO, you do not need extra routing for a battery.

15. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Is that a challange? :shred:

-D

16. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

doesnt it drain the battery if you leave you guitar plugged in (Like stomp boxes??)

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I was wondering that, too... Half the time, my bloody AMP is on all day and just on standby, to say nothing of the guitar being physically connected to it. I'd definitely do a nine volt every four months, myself.

-D

18. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I have had my UV7BK plugged into the amp (not on of course) for about 4 days straight now. I always leave the last guitar i play plugged in. heh. MY HABITS WILL NOT CHANGE!

19. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

yes! but you have to stand up, playing no less than 150bpm and head banging the whole time!

and for the rest of you, passive or not you should leave your stuff plugged in, it wears it out.

20. No Soul

No Soul bringer of mosh

yes