Fishman Fluence midrange honk?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by sevenfoxes, Jun 22, 2021.

1. spilla

spilla SS.org Regular

Had the fluence moderns in a guitar for a few months but there was some frequency that didnt sit well through my setup.

2. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I'm curious for those who didn't like the Moderns do you run a boost before amp? If you have a tubescreamer with mid honk then yeah it kind of doubles the honk.

I run Moderns in drop C and it's awesome going into my (unboosted) Engl.

Strobe and Emperoff like this.
  3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

I go unboosted when I can and I still didn't like them. The lack of an aggressive top end is why I didn't like the moderns, but the overbearing (yet somehow smooth?) mids didn't do any favors

4. hensh!n

hensh!n SS.org Regular

The Modern Ceramic is honky for sure, especially in V1. V2 left some of the honk out, but also some of the mids. Honky, flat, stiff...whatever you do, do not pair it with a 5150. That combo has about the give of a rock.

5. sevenfoxes

sevenfoxes SS.org Regular

That was my main amp when I had the Fishman Open Core pups. I really enjoyed the clarity, but everything else was big time fail.

I could see how Moderns would work really well with a rectifier though.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

This video kinda made me glad I didn't get the Merrow set when I had the chance. didn't sound as good as the 81 or even the Duncan Solars.

Kyle Jordan likes this.
  7. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire L'enfant sausage

Meh they're basically just rebranded classics anyways. I hated the classics and the merrow set in the couple of guitars I've played loaded with them. The mids are worse than the moderns and the high end is ungodly bright in most guitars.

8. HeHasTheJazzHands

That's why I wanted them at the time. :lol: I liked the Classics so I had no issue getting the Merrows. But over the years... yeah, my love waned and I been leaning more towards other pickups.

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

SO... do you guys think the Fluence pickups will be more or less forgotten than the Blackouts seem to be when the hype dies off?

10. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

If you get the Dean Exile 7 string you get the tw versions. Though it may not be everyone's taste aesthetically. dean.jpg

0rimus and Emperoff like this.
  11. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

Probably. The high prices, reliability, and complicated installation might be the bigger factors rather than sound.

The blackouts seemed to fair well with the new Mick Thomson, Loomis, and Cazares sigs.

12. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace $$60,000,000,000

Fishman has reliability issues? I figured they'd be better than that, especially given the price tag.

13. Kyle Jordan

Kyle Jordan Ace of Knaves

Never have cared for the Moderns that I’ve heard and played mostly due to the honk. I’ve never heard the honk regarding any of the Classics, but I also have really concentrated on Voice 1 or 3.

I moved away from going Fluence after trying the Merrows and being much more underwhelmed than I anticipated, and more noise on Voice 3 than I want to deal with.

I’m back to sticking with my favorite EMG and either using some of the onboard active tone controls like the VMC and the BTC, or not worrying about it since I’m running an Axe FX III and that affords me more options than the simple EQ pedals I’ve been running before amps for years. (Not as boosts.)

14. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

Honestly the 100hr battery life is enough to put me off them. Batteries with EMGs last ten times longer, and these definetely don't sound ten times better...

Also, DOA pickups thanks to the "improvements in pickup manufacturing" (printed boards)? Nothanks.

Matt08642 likes this.
  15. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

I've never been too impressed with how Fluences sound, though I'm almost always on a 5150 patch. That being said even through a plugin like the Lecto I didn't really feel like they stood out that much ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

Honestly the closest thing the Moderns reminded me of was the Emg 81x and 60x and those didn't really impress me.

17. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

Agreed but the 81 seems to have more low end. At least in the couple of side by sides I heard

18. admgloval

admgloval SS.org Regular

I played EMG 81/85 or 81/60 in all my guitars for years as it seemed that most passives had this 'clangy' sound to them while EMG was smooth but crunchy. But I took a chance and bought the SD Black Winter set to put in one of my guitars and holy crap do I love these pickups! My friend has a LP style guitar with SD JB/Jazz in it and to my ears the BW set sounds like a hotter JB/Jazz.

19. angl2k

angl2k SS.org Regular

I think the Fluence would be a killer product if they release the software to program the EQ curve to the public. Tweak it to your liking, maybe release the original pickup line as a preset etc.

20. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

But then, you need to have their equipment to print the boards. And you need to buy the "blank" boards, too.

It's not modeling technology that you just program an eq curve to hardware.

Matt08642 likes this.