Fishman Fluence Carpenter Set - 7/8 string actives

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Politics of Ecstasy, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Politics of Ecstasy

Politics of Ecstasy SS.org Regular

I didnt want to hijack anyone else’s thread about active pickups, especially not to confuse them with EMG or Blackouts, because they are totally different

I found the fluence demo to be a real affirmation in the 7 string section, a NGD with a steph carpenter guitar and Friedman amp, of the sound of the edginess i was talking about in the other thread convo
    ()
    They arent like EMG or blackouts, they are certainly a superior technology, and i feel that is objective. If you feel otherwise, that’s fine, but I’m giving my honest opinion....

They sound like passives, they sound like actives, and they sound like both or neither. The voicings are so variable that you really never know what you might come out with, and thats a GREAT thing with these pickups

If you have a 7 or 8 string, and you are looking at possibly upgrading to HEAVY metal pickups, the fishman are expensive but worth it

Furthermore, the carpenter has H/F tilt which you can turn on or off....you can also switch between high and low gain, as in hi gain active, or low for passive

Traditional pups like Dimarzio are STILL beautiful, newer pickups like Lace are AMAZING, and the old actives are still the same reliable awesome actives

But theres a new kid on the block, and hes a blockbuster....i dont mean to sound hilarious, but he’s definitely going to be disturbing the neighborhood, you can take that to the bank

I hope anyone looking at Fluence with a heavy metal interest checks outs the demo in the 7 string section, its awesome, and you might like what you hear enough to upgrade to Fluence

The technology and construction of the pickups is mind blowin....to me at least, imho

Take it ez

AwakenNoMore and Strobe like this.
  2. icipher

icipher SS.org Regular

I absolutely hated the fishman merrow pickups. A/B'd them with a Black Winter 7 and it was absolutely amazing how much better the BW was in pretty much every regard. It'd take an awful lot of faith on my end to try the Carpenter set.

Politics of Ecstasy likes this.
  3. Politics of Ecstasy

Of course! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions!
    I just thought it would be a good thing for others to see what I’ve heard
    And there was luckily a new example available by another member, Rezamatix i beleive

People have had very different reactions to the carpenter set, especially if they didnt like others

I personally loved the KSE, but it wasnt availabile in 7, and I also want the extra tonal options carpenter set had that the others weren’t advertised as having, so theres a few things that stuck out to me, especially this clip^

Anyway to each their own! Enjoy what you love!

icipher likes this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

The Merrow is based on the Fluence Classic. it's a MUCH different beast than the Fluence Moderns (which the Stefs are based on). I find the Moderns are more even on the frequency spectrum with a bit more focus in the midrange, while the Classics are VERY hyped in the high mids and high end.

EQ wise, I feel like the Black Winter is more in line with the Fluence Moderns. The Fluence Classics (voice 2) remind me of the BKP Painkiller.

5. Politics of Ecstasy

That’s literally the best breakdown of seen on the set....very accurate and true, though the Painkiller I’ve only heard in clips but I see what you mean

JazzHands, do you know if you’ve heard the “extras” on the Steph set? you know the switch for the hi/low gain and h/f tilt? I havent heard of anyone trying that, but it adds another dimension to the 4 voicings

Thanks for the input dude

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

When I use(d) my Fluences, I never used the HF Tilts. I for one actually wanted the hyped-as-shit high end since I love bright pickups with lots of attack. When I had the KsE set, I used and loved the split voicing a lot. More than any humbucker split I've tried.

And I currently have an LTD EC-400VF loaded with a Painkiller, one loaded with a BKP Rebel Yell, and an LTD AS-1 (same guitar spec-wise) loaded with the Classics, and they all share a lot of similarities tone-wise.

Strobe and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  7. MerlinTKD

MerlinTKD EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory Contributor

I love Stef Carpenter’s playing and tone, and I’ve played a 7 with Fluence Moderns and got along with them alright (thought V2 on the bridge was the best, but V1 was fine)...

But if I only had that video to judge, I would hate every piece of equipment he demo’d :lol: I’m sure it’s just me, but that was so hairy and fizzy and over saturated, if I hadn’t heard those pickups in other contexts I’d never give them another chance :rant: :shrug:

Nick and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  8. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

We are about in the same boat. Classics are my favorites, but I do like them all. I also gravitate towards bright pickups, and the Rebel Yells are my favorite BKP's. If you like PAF's or Medium-hot bright sounding pickups, these are a great example - but I think most forum users here will just prefer the moderns.

9. Politics of Ecstasy

I remember someone saying they wish these came in a 6 string set
    Well it turns out there were a limited edition made and i saw some on sweetwater
    Drum city guitar land and amazon both have a few

So whoever wanted the Carpenter Fluence set, I highly recommend that you get it quick!
    Hope you see this!

(PS I found out the H/f tilt is put on the carpenter set as well because of the 6db increase if you choose to have that option installed...both are optional, but if you put the 6db increase the H/f rolls off the highs because the pickups are quite bright, based off the modern, with some tweaks, just in case anyone was wondering like i was)

Apex1rg7x likes this.
  10. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire We need ERG Ironbirds

The carpenter bridge was pretty sick in the SC607B I tried at Capitol guitars. It's worth trying out in person imo.

icipher and Politics of Ecstasy like this.
  11. Politics of Ecstasy

Oh absolutely amazing , i tried the same as well

Its not like the other Fluence sets to me. The modern ceramic were shockingly bright, which I cant beleive i would ever think that of a pickup, because I love bright pickups like the 81, the M7 or M8 by Lundgren, and the Lace bars, and the modern were like Lace turned up with presence too high

The Carpenter bridge is ceramic, so its bright, its basically the modern, BUT the tweak I believe was making that H/F tilt roll back some of the harshness of the high end, because there is a bite in there, its not warm or dark at all....i think it was too bright for steph so they put a little more mid range and threw in the H/f tilt. I dont know where the muddy idea came from, they are not muddy at all, steph tone was never muddy, from EMG’s to whatever else he uses, I’m not a huge deftones listener but his guitar is brutal

Anyway, i bought a guitar with the carpenter set so ill find out soon myself! I’m very excited, it finally sounds like I found something in between all the above mentioned favorites, with many different options at the flip of a switch or roll of the fingertip

icipher likes this.
  12. BearOnGuitar

BearOnGuitar SS.org Regular

I played the Carpenter set in a 6 string and 8 string guitar and since last week now own a LTD SC-608B in red sparkle that comes stock with his Fishman set, and it just slays, definitely my favorite out of all Fishman sets. They extended the bass response, tweaked the mid range and also improved the transient response or attack a bit so it feels less compressed and slightly more passive like.

13. Politics of Ecstasy

Dude, I feel you.... I saw that same guitar for like $1100 and I was like, the Fishman alone is worth it, and you get that gorgeous ESP on top if it!!

You tried the 6 and 8 and you didnt see the 7 ? We’re you not interested in 7 or they just didnt have it available?? Just curious because I also skipped 7 strings at first, thinkin, Hey an 8 has 7 in it, but they just dont feel the same to me after the UV777BK

I kind of want the 8 string version myself, but I dont really DIG 8 strings too much, like I bought an 8 string and i barely touch it, and the guitar I’m getting is a 7 string ibanez, so i just like ibanez more than the other brands, and they seem to end up offering what i usually want or need.

ESP does too, but they are pricey! And the used market is a lot thinner for GOOD esps IMHO

Turns out there is no H/F on mine, so its going to be super bright! On top of that its a 6db booster gain switch so I’m going to be in 7 string heaven......

PS I looked more into the wiring diagram and Stephens diagram, and they offer two, so my guy apparently went with option 1’s leaving out the H/f, and then option 2, splitting the two voicings over two tone knobs and adding the switch for gain (not H/f), so sparkles here we come

Last edited: Aug 26, 2019
  14. BearOnGuitar

I was playing some guitars at a good friend's place which he had installed the Carpenter sets into, one of them was an Ibanez RG2228 the other was an EverTune equipped 6 string LP shaped VGS. He had another RG2228 fitted with Tosins and a custom handbuilt 8 string with Moderns, so I was able to compared them all in the same room through the same signal chain although in different guitars. The Tosins were pretty good but my preference is with the Steph set which sounded a bit more lively and less like an active and the low end is fairly similar to that of the EMGs (not as shy on low end like most of the Fluence line). It sounded just as good with the 6 string and had the guitar sounding really meaty but balanced at the same time. Unfortunately the 6 string version are limited edition sets only.

I used the HF tilt before and while it does change the high end I feel it also takes out something from low low mids or bass, I don't remember it entirely as I was just trying it out fairly quickly and I had a few drinks, however my conclusion was that it sounded better without the HF tilt engaged. Currently I'm using mine with the stock wiring from the factory but with the tone cap switched out for a CDE Mallory Type 150 cap and it sounds absolutely killer. I'm attaching some pics of mine which is also EverTune retrofitted. :hbang:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

^are the carpenter fluences scooped in the mids like an 81?

16. BearOnGuitar

No, they have more mids for sure, this is to what they refer to as the tweaked midrange.

17. Nick

Nick SS.org Regular

This

18. Politics of Ecstasy

They are the closest thing to an 81 imho along with the modern. They have a slight upper mid range-lower high range “tweak” but they also have a boost in dB too, in comparison to modern

I mean he asked if it was like the 81? and honestly, to my ears, it is similar the way the modern is similar to the 81, but its like “improved” with that tweaked midrange imho, i dont know if anyone else likes the 81 but i do. This is more like the 81 with the 18volt modification. Its very bright man, honestly, i was shocked at first, almost like Lace. I mean, that was me, and my experience with it, so maybe i just had a good rig and whatever but i loved it. It was probably scooped like the modern, until the carpenter tweak. But its a good tweak. Sometimes scooped is overdone, like the Blaze! Lol awwww my poor uvi lol

Your guitar is gorgeous btw

TBH ill admit its not the best example lol but it was current and just posted at the time and theres not many other examples out there

19. Apex1rg7x

Apex1rg7x Agent of Chaos

Thanks for the heads up man! I've been looking for the 6 string set for awhile now and thought I missed out on them. Snagged a set from DCGL last night.

20. Politics of Ecstasy

AWESOME DUDE! Im SO glad someone saw the post and took advantage of the timing. I wasn’t sure who asked about the 6 string version, but hey, if they have a limited run its your lucky day! I think there are only about 50 or so, and you get a certificate too, you know we all love those certificates lol

*(MOD EDIT? maybe we should edit the title to “limited 6 string version available” so people dont dismiss it for non-ERG players i mean, if you want?)

Apex1rg7x likes this.