First World Job Struggles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Leberbs, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Leberbs

Leberbs SS.org Regular

1. I went to college, got a few associates degrees, and worked hard to get noticed by employers over the past 6-7yrs. The only hiccup is I'm only getting noticed by employers in a very niche market (not what I went to school for). After having worked in that niche field since graduation, I'm afraid I've hit my salary cap in such a short time.

2. This niche market doesn't have enough work to sustain a business in my area OR companies are big enough to have their own in-house people (and people rarely leave those gravy jobs). So, I either work nights near home or I work out of town. Left a job working nights for 7 months straight. New job was ok at first, now I'm out of town every week - not to mention I have to room with other dudes. I hate it.

If it wasn't apparent, I'm only getting scouted by contractors...and contract work sucks.

3. Being out of town and/or working nights is taking time away from my wife, hobbies, music, church, etc.

I think the worst part about this situation is I'm making the most money I've ever made. There are no other jobs that will touch my current salary locally. I'd have to move to potentially get out of this nights/outoftown/weekends work. Take a less paying job with those perks locally and I lose most of my hobbies (the little time I get to enjoy them).

I spent hours and hours and hours in college researching the job market that even remotely related to the degrees I would eventually earn. I even questioned my professors to no end in order to steer myself in a general direction of jobs to avoid the roadblock I'm in now. I can't and still have never worked a day with the degrees I've earned even thought the area is on fire with work for the education I have. I just feel like I've reached the end for bigger opportunity in my area.
    Maybe I've lost the motivation and drive I had in college, but I just don't know what my next move is.

End Rant.

Can anyone relate?

2. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I'm in a similar position, I've reached a "dead men's shoes" position at my current employer. To earn more, I'm going to have to move city, which means my family would have to relocate, my son would have to move school and I'd be moving away from my elderly parents who frankly need mine and my wife's support due to their ill health.

I feel very trapped doing a job I am bored with, knowing I can't get a promotion or significant payrise simply because of a pyramidal hierarchy.

3. dreamchaser

dreamchaser SS.org Regular

Trades and unions are where they're at, especially if you just got out of high school. I'm currently studying to become an electrician, because fuck slaving away for peanuts to break even for the rest of your life.

possumkiller likes this.
  4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

Move. Just rip the fucking bandaid off now and do it while the kids are young and the wife still finds new cities interesting.

Get any job in the field you’re looking in the desired city. Then you have the title and some experience. If the employer sucks begin looking for your next job.

I don’t know what kind of miracle you’re hoping for, or if you’re more just venting.

But the only viable solution is to move. I moved away for my first job after college then took a promotion again a couple years later in a different city. And I 100% would move again to keep growing.

I cannot stand the idea of just working the same job with zero growth.

For some people that’s fine. Because they close up at 4:59PM and they don’t have to explain shit to no one because it’s family and hobby time until the next workday.

Sounds like that’s not your personality type. So fucking move and improve your quality of life and your families’.

Just note you get less house for your money in larger cities no matter how cheap a state you live in so be prepped for that if you hate commuting.

5. Vegetta

Vegetta Change Everything

Dude dont be afraid to move. changing schools isn't that traumatic and your kids will adjust fine to a new school.

I ended up staying at a nowhere job far longer than i should have because it was convenient. Luckily i got the hell out of there and found a great new job and couldn't be happier. Life is too short to be miserable and suffer a shitty job.

As for your parents.. That is a tough one. Think of it this way. They would want you to succeed and would not like to think that they were holding you back. Perhaps they could move with you also? Maybe combine funds and get a larger house or a house with an in-law suite. That would also make it easier to care for them.