First tube amp(6505+) question

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by slothrop, Feb 22, 2012.

1. slothrop

slothrop SS.org Regular

I just picked up a slightly used 6505+ 112 which is my first tube amp. I've heard that these can be noisy but is it normal to get a hiss even at bedroom levels?

It hisses on both lead and rhythm(with the crunch engaged), I haven't tried a noise gate yet.

Is this normal or could there be something wrong?

2. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Nothing wrong dude, its the nature of the beast! That thing hums when you turn it off!!! (just kiddin or course) If you REALLY want it to completely shut up, pick up a boss NS-2 and put it in you efx loop....then thank me later! lol. It will sound like you shut your amp completely off when you cut your guitars volume.:hbang:

3. slothrop

slothrop SS.org Regular

Thanks for the fast response and reassurance, I wanted to make sure I didn't need to return it.

I have a pod hd500 so I'll hook up using the 4CM and use its noise gate. This thing is a beast!

4. Jason_Clement

Jason_Clement SS.org Regular

Congrats dude, I have the same amp! It's friggin rockin' for a 1x12. Speaker could use a swap, but over all, very impressive!

And the hiss never goes away ;) unless you use a noisegate pedal of some sort.

5. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

Hi-Gain = Hiss.

Like others have said get a noise gate.

6. gs_waldemar

gs_waldemar SS.org Regular

It depends on the amount of gain! If the amp hisses a lot with medium gain (not much compression), then something is wrong. You might want to change the preamp tubes if that is the case!

If you dont feel like investing the money, you could at least swap the V1, the first tube.

7. slothrop

slothrop SS.org Regular

Ah ok, there is a hiss with the volume over 1 regardless of what the gain is set to, there is still hiss with the gain at 0 which gets louder as I increase the volume.

If it's a tube thing I don't have a problem with replacing them and if it can be solved by noise gate I don't have a problem with that.

8. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

A mesa spax7 is specifically tested for low noise under high gain, and is only a few dollars more than a regular 12ax7.
    Basically they are just the quietest of the 12ax7s that they recieve from JJtubes. Just for the V1 spot really.
    Still will likely need a noise pedal.

9. gs_waldemar

gs_waldemar SS.org Regular

Okay, I play a VOX Nighttrain, which is not a true Hi-Gain amp! But I swapped my V1 and V2 for two tubetown tte83cc. I'm not sure if thats a great tube, but the local seller recommended them and I have no real clue. It did really reduce the noise by like 2/3. If I turn the gain ALL WAY UP, the gain is way too much, but the hiss is far from being disturbing. Before that, it was disturbing. Give it a try, I really find that noisegates take away a bit of the chug in the beginning, before they open! So you always pay a price

10. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

Also, emgs GREATLY reduce noise right off the bat. Since i went back to the darkside I only use my ISP when jamming rehersal loud levels (not often).

11. WarMachine

go with what gs waldemar said, cutting your gain will help tons! not just on the feedback but overall tone. The amp REALLY opens up with your gain set around 4, 4.5. I know it sounds crazy but try it and you'll be surprised. it sounds SOOOOOO much better this way. its a lot more articulate and if you use cleans here and there you can get a really nice sounding break up IMO. :agreed:

12. slothrop

slothrop SS.org Regular

That's where I usually keep the gain but should I still be getting hiss with the gain at 0?

Just want to know if something is wrong.

13. WarMachine

if you get it with the gain still at zero, then it sounds like you may have a lemon. have you checked the fuse or the ground switch yet? do you have a power conditoner by chance? if you have tried all of these you may have a lemon dude :wallbash: hope ya dont cause these things are real jewels when they are working right :shred:

14. slothrop

slothrop SS.org Regular

The hum is still there with a noise gate but when I use my HD500 amp models hooked up with 4CM there is no hum and it's crystal clear. Since this setup is bypassing the preamp and using the poweramp does this point to a preamp tube problem or something else?

I did check the fuse(looks fine) and I am not using a power conditioner.

Edit: Now the tubes are making a crackling sound.

15. slothrop

slothrop SS.org Regular

Anyone have any idea? I have called the sound a hiss and a hum but it's more like a constant shhhhhhhhhh sound, so I guess that's more of a hiss?

It happens with the guitar either plugged in or not. Gain is not up, it happens with gain at 0 but the sound increases if I increase the volume.

16. Garlic Owl

Garlic Owl SS.org Regular

can you record a video of the issue? it'll make it easier for people to help you

17. slothrop

slothrop SS.org Regular

I brought it back to the store and they swapped all tubes, only the second from the right(looking at the back) preamp tube had any noticeable effect but the noise was still there.

They're sending it to their amp guy at no charge to me and they say he's one of the best in Mpls. I'm fine with this if he can fix it since I got such a good deal on it and I do love the sound of the amp!