First time playing out in nearly two years... who else?

sleewell

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sorry about that dude, band drama is never fun.

If your band doesn't have a local following it's not the time to be playing so far away. Playing to no one sucks but we've all been there.

I hope you find some cool people and can play some fun shows soon!!

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
Sorry about that dude, band drama is never fun.

If your band doesn't have a local following it's not the time to be playing so far away. Playing to no one sucks but we've all been there.

I hope you find some cool people and can play some fun shows soon!!

Cheers man.

In the end it was the combination of missteps being made that killed it. If Bassist had just been a little patient, and a little willing to play local venues, then there wouldn't have been a problem. But he repeatedly reminded the rest of us that this was his band, and it was "his way or no way at all". It apparently never occured to him that anyone might say "No way at all". I mean, if you want to play gigs all the time, sure you'd understand that you need the rest of your band to show up?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back on my feet soon enough, but I could use a break and time to collect myself, and let my bank balance recover.

MattThePenguin

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Cheers man.

In the end it was the combination of missteps being made that killed it. If Bassist had just been a little patient, and a little willing to play local venues, then there wouldn't have been a problem. But he repeatedly reminded the rest of us that this was his band, and it was "his way or no way at all". It apparently never occured to him that anyone might say "No way at all". I mean, if you want to play gigs all the time, sure you'd understand that you need the rest of your band to show up?

Anyway, I'm sure I'll be back on my feet soon enough, but I could use a break and time to collect myself, and let my bank balance recover.
just caught up and yeah, he's just being unrealistic. I have no expectations for this upcoming tour for Tomarum and neither do the other guys, we understand that we're in the "pay your dues" stage and that's why we're doing a very short run to put in some experience and time but also not completely drain ourselves financially.

LostTheTone

Elegant Djentleman
Reaction score
just caught up and yeah, he's just being unrealistic. I have no expectations for this upcoming tour for Tomarum and neither do the other guys, we understand that we're in the "pay your dues" stage and that's why we're doing a very short run to put in some experience and time but also not completely drain ourselves financially.

That's a healthy attitude - Everyone needs a bit of time playing real gigs together to get their chemistry and be confident about how everything is going to go. And it's fun! It's a cool experience!

Thing is that you can't just skip ahead and just decide you can't be bothered to pay your dues. It's not as exciting to be in a local scene for a while, but that's how you start getting fans. A couple of people see you and tell their friends, and then they come and see you again next time. And someone in the audience says "Hey you guys are good, you should come do a gig with my band".

It's proper nuts and bolts stuff, but there's a reason why people do that. My former bassist insists that it's important to show that you are a working band who are willing to travel... But I don't even know who he thinks we were showing. Like, he is the manager and promoter for all the bands gigs. And if I were a venue owner or festival booker, I'd be more worried about booking acts who get a crowd than people who just play random gigs all over the bloody place.

DoctorStoner

θάλλ
Reaction score
Gosh I don't remember my last show. Must have been like 2011. I really miss it.

I wish I could but having just a guitarist and vocalist on stage probably won't pull any crowds... Proving to be impossible to find other members locally.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Things are starting to warm up with my schedule. The last gig I had play was in 2019 until this spring. Then nothing for a few months despite actively looking for gigs. Then, the weekend before last, I played my second gig in 3 years and it looks like we made an impression, because that spun off into two other gigs this summer, possibly more depending on who gets back to us. I don't really have hopes of replicating my 2013 schedule of playing an average of 2.5 shows a week, but it'll be nice to play out again.

Back in late March, it seemed like people were still a bit nervous to get out, and even when they did, most of them didn't stick around when the band took a quick break. But now things seem to be trending the opposite way, where people are eager to get out and have fun.

Having tried the facebook live thing over the pandemic and being severely let down on the lack of interaction, I had been feeling much like a hermit the past couple years.

wheresthefbomb

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Having tried the facebook live thing over the pandemic and being severely let down on the lack of interaction, I had been feeling much like a hermit the past couple years.

Glad to hear things are picking up for you. I also tried FB live and did enjoy a good amount of interaction considering the medium, but the audio quality was terrible and didn't represent my art well enough for my standards.

I did it pretty early on in the first month or two of lockdown and I think people were just stoked to be seeing me doing stuff in "real" time and playing "pretend show," but I feel like if I continued doing it the poor audio quality would've weighed more heavily as the novelty wore off.

I feel like the people who live worked the best for were conventionally attractive singer/songwriter types with a good internet connection. A couple of those guys locally were relatively getting solid engagement, at least judging by views/likes/comments, for quite a few months.

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
Three weeks away from my first show back since our 2020 tour, which ended days before the pandemic shut everything down. I'm going into isolation in about a week's time to make sure I'm fit to fly. First show post-Brexit too, pretty nervous about crossing international borders with guitars.

narojo

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven't played a show since like 2019, but I've done some pretty bad karaoke live lol. I'm working on some music and can't wait to put a band together!