First time playing out in nearly two years... who else?

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by wheresthefbomb, Jun 11, 2021.

1. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

I'm playing my first proper show since Halloween 2019 this weekend. I took a break a little after that, and then quarantine happened. I did a FB livestream thing last summer (sound sucked big time, nobody else noticed/cared but after I heard what it sounded like I couldn't do anymore) and played for a few people in my living room, but hardly the same energy.

I'm excited because it's been a long time, the longest I've gone without performing in a good 10 years. I've got a lot of new material and I'm guessing everyone else does too, really looking forward to being part of that excitement.

How about it, who else is dusting off the ol' road case?

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Nice man, I’m jealous. The last show we played was in Feb 2020 with Gorod. I thought I was joking at the time when I said that could be my last show and I’d be okay with it; but then everything shut down a few days later and my band basically dissolved after that. It hasn’t officially ended, but we haven’t played or even practiced in well over a year, so it’s essentially done.

I still jam with my drummer somewhat frequently, so I’m sure we’ll put something new together and get out to play some shows.

wheresthefbomb and sleewell like this.
  3. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

Last show was nov of last year. Hopefully my new band will be playing shows in july or aug.

4. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

First one since February of last year in a couple of weeks. I'm stoked. I don't know what happened during the pandemic, but the promoters around here are offering decent money for locals and I haven't had to argue a guarantee for the other few shows I have booked for the summer, so that's cool. Can't wait to get back on stage.

wheresthefbomb likes this.
  5. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Glad to hear it! I can relate. It's been feeling like I'm missing a part of myself.

My guess with the money thing is it's part inflation, and part that there's simply a high demand for live entertainment right now because of quarantine. Bars and restaurants around here seem to be thriving compared to 6 months ago, so I'd guess there's generally more money around, at least for them. We'll see how long that lasts.

I got to play on top of a dome near my house. The people who put it on built a stage and everything, pretty impressive setup. Everyone else got dumped on but the weather cleared up nicely for me:

[​IMG]

GunpointMetal likes this.
  6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

That looks like fun!

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I actually looked up when my last one was the other day . Just over 7 years ago before my daughter was born . kinda depressing

8. Mprinsje

Mprinsje st. anger ain't bad!

My last show was in June or July 2020, during a brief time in between two strict lockdowns.

They were seated shows with a limited capacity, but at least I can now say my band played a sold out show :lol:.

Next show should be in either August or beginning of September, very stoked.

9. Screamingdaisy

Screamingdaisy SS.org Regular

Last “gig” was last summer. We set up on one of the band member’s driveway and did a COVID concert for the neighbourhood.

I moved after that last gig so I don’t have anything slated. Hard to find a new band when everyone is keeping their distance.

10. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

My band played one gig in 2020 fall. Of all gigs that one happened to be our album release party and everyone had fun despite the limited capacity (which ended when the bands had played and the venue was an open bar for everyone and not a "event". Suddenly it's ok to squeeze in twice the amount of ppl the same night. Stupid legilations!)

4 weeks from now we're gonna play our only booked show for this year, which'll actually be a sold out festival, which is nice!

Gootta admit that I'm a little terrified each time I pick up the guitar and try to memorize the songs :lol:

11. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

Man I haven't played a gig since like 2013 lol y u do dis to mi?