First time multiscale fan fret owner questions...

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by littlebadboy, Jun 15, 2021.

1. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Ordered an AGILE GEODESIC 62527 to try out a headless and fan fret at the same time. It is 27-25.5". What's the lowest tune I could go without getting a muddy tone?

[​IMG]

2. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

hey that agile actually looks ok.

I feel like 27 could really go down to like F maybe E? I dunno I think on of my guitars is in F#

littlebadboy likes this.
  3. brector

brector SS.org Regular

My 27" scale Carvin came stock tuned to F#, so you should be fine with that or E. Tension will depend on string gauge.

littlebadboy likes this.
  4. nightflameauto

nightflameauto SS.org Regular

Depends on what you want to accomplish and how much you're willing to beat up the guitar to achieve it. Within the Ruins manages C below the standard F# 8 string tuning on a 26.5" scale, but they have a very staccato approach to the low notes that doesn't give you much more than the initial impact of the note. I've had that same tuning on a 28" scale without issue, but you're talking ridiculous string gauges and you will run into minor intonation "inconveniences." Nothing that can't be overcome with a slight adjustment to technique, but you will not be slamming those bottom strings hard unless you want to get a big old wavering bowahawahahwah type sound.

Realistically and staying within the realms of normal guitar technique? E is pretty much assured. Anything lower than that will be about balancing string tension with how much you're willing to alter your pick attack. You'll get people screaming that anything outside a specific note with a specific gauge isn't realistic, but we're guitarists. We gave up on reality the second we slung the strap over our shoulders. Once you do that you form your own reality with every note. Don't let other people restrict what direction that takes.

Cool looking guitar you got coming. Enjoy!

littlebadboy likes this.
  5. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Thank you, @diagrammatiks, @brector, and @nightflameauto for your insights! The way I understand it is that I have to play around with tunings and gauges and see which fits my playing.

Now, the waiting part...

6. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

Best of luck with your purchase. I've been very satisfied with the LP I got from them in 2016, but I know QC issues are common. Beautiful finish in the pic anyhow.

littlebadboy likes this.
  7. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Depends on how heavy your hand is, as well. Thinner strings with a lighter touch are clearer at lower tunings than heavier gauges, but if you hit the strings hard, it's not an option. Also, of course, the biggest factor is how much murkiness your personal preference will allow. Tuning to E will sound relatively muddier than tuning to F or F# or G or Ab or whatever. Personally, I tend to go for A at 27" myself, but it's 100% up to personal taste.

littlebadboy likes this.