First time 7 sting buyer

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by shredlord, Mar 9, 2007.

1. shredlord

shredlord Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I've been playing about 2 years and play about 2-4 hours a day, so i like to think i'm kinda decent at playing. anyhow ive been looking to buy a new guitar for a while (since i play metal and at the moment own a prs santana SE) but then i discovered nevermore and got turned onto 7 strings. at the moment i'm really interested in the schecter c-7 hellraiser, but i was wondering what alternatives are there?? basicly i want a 7 string(obviously) with 24 frets, a fixed bridge(i cant stand floyds) at about the same price as the schecter. Also is it easy to use a 7 string as a six string??? thanks in advance.

2. InTheRavensName

InTheRavensName Dog says yes ^.^ Yes

buy my C7 blackjack ;)

3. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Yes. It just takes a little getting used to the different spacing between the strings and the lowest string being a B and not an E. I mean, you can play anything on a sixstring on a sevenstring, but you can't play a lot of stuff on a sevenstring on a sixstring. The reason is because there are just more notes. My Ibanez RG1527GK (sevenstring) has 36 more notes than my Gibson Les Paul Studio (sixstring) (and don't tell me there are only a total of 12 notes... you know what I mean).

I play six string songs on my seven all the time. In fact, my band has several songs where I don't even use the low B string. And I have other songs where I only use the low B string in the chorus of the song or in the bridge.

4. noodles

noodles Contributor

First, welcome. :wavey:

What are you looking for in a guitar? A good start would be to tell us about the sixes you play all the time, and what you like/dislike about them. There is a fairly decent variety out there now, so you can probably find a seven that is really close to what you already have.

As Naren said, the best way to beat the learning curve is to play all your sixer songs on your seven. This will get you used to the extra string being there. I really don't even play my sixes anymore, since switching to a different guitar is sort of pointless when I can do everything on my sevens.

5. kmanick

kmanick Contributor

welcome, and what don't you like about the hellraiser 7?
    look at the Washburn thread , you can score a Wahsburn 7 for $99.00 bucks right now.
    what a gerat way to get into the 7 string world for dirt cheap.

6. Sebastian

Sebastian SS.org Regular

Welcome...

Playing on a 7 is just great... i play.. 11 months now.. 8 months with a 7 string...

*still i suck at playing - but who cares

7. Jarrett

Jarrett Metal Wolf Contributor

Welcome

8. angryman

angryman Djentleman

Mynydd y Garreg, Carmarthenshire, South Wales.
    :wavey: Hey buddy welcome to the forum.
    Maybe you should look at a few Ibanez 7's or even ESP ltd 7's

9. Shawn

Shawn ESP • Ibanez Forum MVP

Hey, Shredlord, welcome! :hbang:

:agreed: That would be a nice guitar right there.

10. Stretchnutz

Stretchnutz The Destroyer

I am a new 7string owner as of yesterday and cant put it down, Its an Ibanez RG7321($379) I've been playing 6's for about 9yrs and wasnt too worried about that neck being a little bigger, and it's not a "bad" as some people make it out to be.At the moment i dont know any songs to jam to that use 7's but i've been playing all tha songs i know that use 6's, and its FREAKIN AMAZING!! So if you looking to get into the Realm of 7's this is a great guitar to start

11. D-EJ915

D-EJ915 Forum MVP

welcome to the forum! The Hellraiser is an awesome guitar, the ESP Viper 407 is also a good guitar in that price range (about $100 less).

12. i_love_tazzus

i_love_tazzus Out For Lunch

Indeed. I've had mine since August of last year. Ibanez just figured out how to design the neck properly on this one. Not to mention the nifty 5 way switch... my 1990 RG560 + a 1994 Fender Strat and 1993 Gibson LP studio I get to play with sometimes are howling at me. :D :yesway:

13. bazguitarman

bazguitarman Half assed at best

Tennessee, home of hillbillies and halfstacks.
    I`m also new to owning a 7-string. I started looking around last year and seriously thought about buying a 7 for the first time. I`ve been playing 20 years on 6-strings and was worried about switching over. I didn`t know if I would be comfortable on a wider neck and wasn`t sure about how much I would actually use a 7-string.

I ended up looking at it like a lot of the guys on this forum do. A 7-string is the exact same thing as a 6-string. You can use it to cover both jobs. Once you look at it that way, it`s a no brainer.

In the end I decided to go with a 7 that was close to one of my most comfy 6`s. I`ve had a nice RG421 for a few years and love the Wizard II neck profile, so I decided to check out a RG7321. It`s basically the same damn guitar with the addition of the B string and direct mounted pups. Even the same Wizard II neck profile except in a 7-string version. And the price is right. Less than $400.00 street price and even better on the used market.

I bought mine used, but in immaculate cond. from a member of the Harmony Central amp forum. He had a tech do a fret level and polish and install Schaller locking tuners. I got the guitar for $325.00 shipped. Not too bad. I just need to put a good set of pups in it and will have a killer little guitar for less than $500.00.

I think there are a lot of great MIJ/MIK/MIC 7-strings out right now. Most in the less than $1K price range.

The Schecter 007, Damian, Hellraiser and Blackjack series are all good guitars. Plus they now have the new Loomis sig out, but it has a Floyd.

Ibanez has the MIC RG7321

Jackson has the MIJ Wolbers sig

LTD has the MIK Carpenter sig. and the Viper 407

Also the Washburn mentioned above is selling for $99.00 right now. That`s a killer deal. You couldn`t buy a neck and body for that price. Never mind the hardware and electronics.

Good luck,

Eric

14. Sebastian

Sebastian SS.org Regular

:hbang: :hbang: :hbang: :metal: :metal: :shred: :shred:

15. DetunedLoon

DetunedLoon SS.org Regular

Yeh.....I love my RG7321 as well....mine is being modded now; DiMarzio, locking tuners etc.......
    For a $380 price point, It's KILLER! ( and a Wizard II neck, I love) this IMO CAN'T be beat

(And it's a Ibby!)

16. olsta

olsta SS.org Regular

2-4 hours a day!
    Shit, i wished i played that much!

anywho, welcome buddy!