First song of the band I am in - supspectral

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Beside hanging out on this nice forum I also play in a band :mf666:

When Covid made the world close down we start making our first EP.

Took way to long since we done most our self and we are no where near professional musicians.
Also we had not that many experience with recording, so it was quite a journey!
Anyway I am quit proud of the end result!

Now we are looking for a way to do a little promotion of the record, no idea how to do that, but I thought I can at least drop our first song here!
Not only as promotion I am mostly curious forward to hear what you guys think of it!

Also if you do have some tips and tricks on promoting it please let me know.
We are quite horrible in this kind of thing :(

Thank you guys for checking it out!:cheers::cheers:

VibTDog

who farted?
Reaction score
Hey, great song. Do you have any merch for sale?

In my opinion the best way to get your music out there is to play live. However since Covid may be putting that under the steel thumb for the 2nd time, I would make a facebook page, for starters.

You can also make cards and posters and hang them up in music stores or practice spaces.

Perhaps sign up through tunecore so you can get your music out to streaming platforms such as spotify, apple music, pandora, etc.

The hardest thing is to get people to take 5 minutes to listen. Just hang in there and stay confident in what you do.

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hey, great song. Do you have any merch for sale?

In my opinion the best way to get your music out there is to play live. However since Covid may be putting that under the steel thumb for the 2nd time, I would make a facebook page, for starters.

You can also make cards and posters and hang them up in music stores or practice spaces.

Perhaps sign up through tunecore so you can get your music out to streaming platforms such as spotify, apple music, pandora, etc.

The hardest thing is to get people to take 5 minutes to listen. Just hang in there and stay confident in what you do.

Thanks man, appreciate it!

Yeah i agree on the live part, it is basically what I whant to do, just play live. But unfortunately here in the Netherlands venues are still closed due to COVID

We planned to use distrokit for putting our song on spotify etc. but will check out tunecore as well!

Facebook should be up also one of those days.

Ans I agree, it is hard to get people to listen to a song for 5 minutes. For most people everything is available on the internet, so many songs are put online every day.
I see the band as a journey, that most likely will end nowhere, but as long as its a fun journey, I hope it lasts !

bozoshmee

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
nice song dude! would you mind sharing some details about what you're using to record? DAW, plugins, midi instruments etc?

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Cool song for sure. I like the variation on the vocals - I'm not really into the hardcore'ish style it starts with but the more black metal style sounds really nasty!

The mix seems pretty good to me, but at first it felt a little bit unbalanced, before my ears adjusted themselves to it. I'm guessing you have two guitar players playing different guitars and amps hard panned left and right? I'd maybe blend those a little bit if that's the case. I'm using headphones, by the way. It probably sounds better with speakers.

I don't have any tips to share regarding promotion, unfortunately.

Pietjepieter

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
nice song dude! would you mind sharing some details about what you're using to record? DAW, plugins, midi instruments etc?

Thanks man! appreciate it!

And to answer your question, we used Logic Pro as a DAW.

On this track we used:
I played mine Red Layer Juggernaut 8 string straight into my Kemper (using a Friedman Butterslax profile)
The other guitarist played a PRS bolt on (USA one, don't know the exact type, kickass axe) also straight into his kemper using if I remember correct a PRS archeon profile
Our bass player used a ESP LTD bass also straight into a kemper with a Gallien-Krueger profile (yeah we are Kemer boys :) )

we did not do mutch in logic on the guitars, some panning, basic EQ stuff etc.
For the bass we did more, add some fuzz and gates and stuff.

There are some keys as well in the song, I used mine old Oberheim Xpander as well as some logic soft synth. And I I also used a MFB mono syth some times (mini moog clone).

For vocals we made a small vocal booth in our rehearsal space. used a rode NT1 for clean vocals and a oldscool SM57 for the dirty vocals, into a mindprint envoice channel strip to add a little compression and sometimes some saturation. later in Logic we did quite some work on it. Doubling, delay, reverb etc.

We did use a mostly stock plugins for logic, EQ, compressors etc. and also used some waves plugins for instance a pulteq EQ on the guitars. as well as some waves SSL chanel strips.
Also we used vallhalla reverb plugin, sounds better to mine ears than the logic reverbs.

Cool song for sure. I like the variation on the vocals - I'm not really into the hardcore'ish style it starts with but the more black metal style sounds really nasty!

The mix seems pretty good to me, but at first it felt a little bit unbalanced, before my ears adjusted themselves to it. I'm guessing you have two guitar players playing different guitars and amps hard panned left and right? I'd maybe blend those a little bit if that's the case. I'm using headphones, by the way. It probably sounds better with speakers.

I don't have any tips to share regarding promotion, unfortunately.

Thanks man!!!

We double tracked all the guitars, one panned hard one site, the other one half on the other side, and the other guitar visa versa.
I also noticed that the beginning of the track sounds like the panning is a bit off, but I never found out what the problem was. Meters etc. in logic shows quite even levels, and if I tried to compensate, it sounded off later in the song.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
We double tracked all the guitars, one panned hard one site, the other one half on the other side, and the other guitar visa versa.
I also noticed that the beginning of the track sounds like the panning is a bit off, but I never found out what the problem was. Meters etc. in logic shows quite even levels, and if I tried to compensate, it sounded off later in the song.

Yeah, it's probably because you used different guitars and amp models, probably in the beginning the riffs just happen to be such that the difference is more prominent. I guess you could've done some volume or pan automation (it's pretty easy in Logic) to compensate for it in the beginning only. But that's kinda nitpicking tbh, it's definitely not bad by any means :)