First seven string

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by nevermore88, Mar 7, 2020.

1. nevermore88

nevermore88 SS.org Regular

Hi

For ten years I've played my Jackson rr24m and i love it but I've wanted a new guitar for some time, been mulling it over for past few months and feel like i have to pull the trigger on it.

After months of looking at thomann and gear4music I've kept coming back to the KM7 MK-III
    I can't link as it's my first post here but on Thomann the standard is €975 and artist with neck thru and fishmans is €1800.

I've no experience outside of Jackson really, before my rr24 i had an rx10 and a beginner kelly.

Want to get something that's versatile for recording death/thrash to postrock and I've been really interested in getting Fishman pickups and i know i prefer a neck thru but is the €800 difference merited?

2. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Pretty sure you can get Deluxe LTDs for around ~1000 euros. They're neck through, and LTD does have some with Fishmans in them. 1800 is ridiculous imo, you might as well get a new ESP or an Ibby Prestige. Or get a Solar for way less.

Diminishing returns. It entirely depends on your budget and how much you're willing to pay. The best price/quality ratio will be in the second hand market anyways. Plus it's all very subjective. I have a Solar A2.7, and to me it plays about as well as my Ibanez 1527. The bottom line is that beyond a certain point of guitar quality, the weakest link in the chain won't be the guitar :)

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

4. nevermore88

nevermore88 SS.org Regular

Thanks, i think you're right about the extra 800 i just kinda needed to hear it, lol.

I was looking at an LTD M-1007ht with black finish and Fishman moderns too for 1,133.

Not too sure about the finish on that, i know Thomann have an C7 SLS with a similar black fade finish to that LTD and it doesn't have multiscale.
    Would multiscale make that much differance on how tight that B string is?
    I won't be tunning down unless it's to drop A.

5. Doug Craft

Doug Craft The Squirminator

If it's your first 7, I suggest you buy used and keep your budget reasonable. There's lots of decent quality guitars out there and the used market is not bad on Reverb and eBay. I love my Jackson SLATQM, but I did not care for the EMG pickups, so I switched to Duncan JB/Jazz set with series-single-parallel switches. I believe that Schecter also offers models around $1000 with the Fishman pickups. I also suggest you consider tuning the beast you do get like a baritone with a high E - B-E-A-D-F#-B-E - rather than like a guitar with a low B.

Zoobiedood likes this.