First seven string

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by alfguitar, Jul 7, 2014.

1. alfguitar

alfguitar Member

As I'm sure you guessed from the title I'm looking to get my first seven string. I've been looking at several different types and I would like to get one with a longer scale length (my E standard tuned 6 string is 25.5 with GHS 11-50s on them).

Slightly off topic but (i may sound really stupid here but) if i use 25.5 for E standard should i use a longer scale for seven strings/baritones? Or if i like 25.5 for six a 25.5 seven should be just fine? I play more rhythmic so i like to have control and not have the strings be all slinky.

Also influences would be nu metal (Korn, Slipknot) and punk.

2. DocBach

DocBach SS.org Regular

You can always use higher gauge strings if you want more control, just make sure you check the neck an adjust for the higher tension.

3. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Well, if you are going to be playing in standard, then 25.5 in scale is fine. 11-50 is pretty tight for standard. You would probably need a 66 for B. Korn plays in drop A, so maybe a 70?

Most people find that 7-string sets aren't too great for even tension. Personally, I buy sets of 9s and add a 59 or 60 for the low B. There are also many people who buy their strings individually. Here's a tension chart that can help get you started: http://daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

As for buying a guitar with a longer scale, there's not much need unless you plan on tuning past A, or you are using ridiculously thick strings. If you start using massive strings, they will sound dull and lifeless.

Keep in mind, that a longer scale means tighter strings, but the added tension probably won't be as much as you would expect. If you have smaller hands or short arms, a long scale can be tiring to play. Why do think you need a longer scale?

4. alfguitar

alfguitar Member

i would be tuning it to A standard maybe drop G if i find some songs to play in that tuning. According to that chart 70s would give me the same tension. i just like having more control, with 24.75 scales i feel its a bit loose for standard so i use 25.5 and i like that

5. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

If you know for sure that you will be in A and possibly G, then you will want a longer scale. What guitars have you considered?

6. alfguitar

alfguitar Member

currently the only one i saw is the Ibanez RGD7421 but i think ibanez isnt making it anymore cause they took it off the site :noplease:

7. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Well, it's only 26.5" scale. This will only give you about 1-1.5 lbs more tension than 25.5" scale, but the extra length will help with setting intonation. Also, the guitar is still available in online stores.

Other fixed bridge guitars to check out are Schecter KM-7 and JL-7, Jackson SLATTXMGQ3-7 and the Carvin DC7X starts at $959. There's always Agile, too.

8. alfguitar

alfguitar Member

would you say agile is a good brand or no. i dont think i heard of them

9. alfguitar

alfguitar Member

Wait i've heard of them, who plays them?

Also holy crap they look really good, and great price

10. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

I would say that Agile makes good guitars if you're looking for something cheap to get your feet wet. Or, if there is something special you want like multi-scale or extra long scale but can't afford custom shop prices. They give a good bang for your buck, but they really don't compare to any of the other guitars listed in terms of craftsmanship.

11. alfguitar

alfguitar Member

my main thing is getting something for a relatively lower price. I think ill go with them to get my feet wet

Thank you very much

12. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

There's only a slim chance you'll be disappointed. The only real problem with Agiles is that you can't try before buying, so it's unknown if you're buying a lemon. On the other hand, the guy running the show is really good about exchanges if you're not happy, or you get a ....ed up instrument. I've personally ordered 6+ of the things and haven't had a single one be unpleasant out of the box. (You may want to have a setup done, but even without it should be playable.)

13. CrazyDean

CrazyDean SS.org Regular

Very few people are disappointed with them, and you can always return it if you need to. Good luck with your purchase!

14. alfguitar

alfguitar Member

thank you guys very much