First Metallica show a huge letdown

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by frogman81, Jul 17, 2017.

1. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

James is the only redeeming quality of Metallica, IMO. Kirk has never been outstandingly impressive, and we all know how terrible Lars is at keeping time. It's hard to beat James' riffs and insane picking hand ability, though.

works0fheart and oracles like this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Not to mention they've had consistently awesome bassists.

Cliff... yeah. He's Cliff. Nuff said. Jason was probably their tightest bassist and had the best backing vocals. His vocals were meaner and more aggressive than James', IMO. And I complain about Rob being a meh fit with Metallica, BUT over the years he's gotten better. And on top of that, the dude IS a fucking good player. Like, really good.

works0fheart likes this.
  3. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Kirk was already missing a ton of notes 20 years ago, don't see why that would have changed. Lars, now, is more of a problem, he was pretty tight in his heyday and his style is an integral part of Metallica, it's a band I can't really imagine with another drummer ever.
    I wish they packed the same punch and tightness as Kreator live but I don't think those days will come ever again.
    I do realise however that back then I was a fan of 19 and now I'm a 44 years old dude who listened to them since the last millenium. Becoming jaded is bound to happen at some point.

4. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Megadeth has a different/younger drummer and lead guitar player though. I have no doubt Metallica would sound much better if they dropped in Chris Adler and Jon Donias, but then it also wouldn't really be Metallica anymore.

5. BenjaminW

BenjaminW SS.org Regular

Ask Lars about using one please.

6. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I saw them in Detroit on Y2K (17.5 years ago). They sounded atrocious, to me. Other concertgoers also mentioned that it was impossible to tell WTF was going on onstage. At the time, I thought it was just horrible acoustics, but oddly enough, Sevendust, Ted Nugent, and Kid Rock all sounded great.

I've seen >400 bands live, and I'd put them in my bottom 10, in terms of live performance. The only band I saw that sounded worse live was Lamb of God, which is aband I really loved at the time, but honestly, all that was going on was 5 minute segments of pure white noise with a little stage banter breaking it up.

7. Kevcarnage

Kevcarnage Well-Known Member

They lost their touch. They lost it a while ago. Slayer was still badass when i saw them though!!!!

8. Kevcarnage

Also it could be because their tone is mid-scooped as is lamb of god so that could have something to do with it.

9. Gravy Train

Gravy Train SS.org Regular

Saw them when they came through San Antonio last month and thought they were absolutely great. It was my first time seeing them live and hopefully not the last!

P.S. by far the loudest concert I have ever been to.

works0fheart likes this.
  10. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

I saw them when they did their Full Arsenal shows in Edmonton 4 years ago or something, and that was an awesome stage show. Going to see them in August in Edmonton again, but this time its in the outdoor field so sound wise, not really expecting much there. Their live show seem to be hit or miss on this leg.

11. Dantas

Dantas SS.org Regular

Saw them in 2010 in the front row, and it was a great show, but far from been the most memorable experience live ever....I saw NIN in 2005 in a good spot and I remember a lot of it, but from the Metallica one I only recall they played Creeping Death as the 1st song of the set and the fire melting my face, but not too much else.

Their older gigs from the 80s or half of the 90s I watched on YT seem way more intense and spot on, so they are kinda getting older and not going too far to have the best perfomance anymore, especially after soo many tours. With all said, Lars definetly for me is one of the laziest in that regard.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Marty Friedman and Chris Poland are still as tight as ever. Nick Menza still had it before he died as well.

13. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I'm sure it's already been mentioned or something, but they're just one of those things that became synonymous with a genre or whatever. People will always remember Elvis, The Beetles and Metallica. Right place right time kind of thing. When you say "I like metal," one of the first things most people will say is something along the lines of "oh yeah? Like metallica?."

Kevcarnage likes this.
  14. Kevcarnage

i hate the mainstream lol

15. cubix

cubix Spring of 86

I was and still am a big Metallica fan, and in my eyes their last great live performance was S&M. I know, it's not the typical live concert, but after that it all went downhill. I didn't care when they changed their style, I'm not a hardcore metalhead - I enjoy good, original music. And right till S&M they delivered just that - variety of great music. Hetfield lost his voice during St Anger and never got it back (some might say he did, but I think you hear what you want to hear most of the time...). I don't know if I listened to Death Magnetic 5 times in total. There were a few cool songs on the new album, but it's all extremely basic, basic riffs, basic beats, messy solos... I wish they ended on a high note because I really loved them! But that's just my opinion.

16. Jake

Jake GAS Master

Also caught the Philly date for my first Metallica show, they kicked complete ass that night. Nothing major to point out in terms of negatives.

17. Rawkmann

Rawkmann SS.org Regular

Hell, IMO both those guys are considerably better musicians now than they were back in the day. That's why it's hard for me to give Metallica a free pass because of the age thing, I just don't think they have any drive to become any better at this point.

18. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Let us never forget.

Viginez likes this.
  19. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

Very interesting to hear the replies and great to hear that they still play some pretty solid shows.

Someone touched on how hard they work and that I was wrong to accuse them of "coasting" and I think that you are totally correct - I was wrong to suggest that they were coasting just because the newer material doesn't resonate with me.

As to how they managed to carve out such a legacy, someone also touched on the fact that despite the aggression and "heaviness" to their music, they still manage to be fairly melodic, and I agree with this and would consider it a big factor in their success - both in James' vocals and in Kirk's lead playing. I think an interesting comparison would be Meshuggah, who have the aggression, the hooks, and the large catalog of interesting, innovative music, but I think their style is too percussive and the vocals too atonal to ever take them into headlining arena shows.

20. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

If you think that's bad, you should see Ace Frehley lately. His band is a fucking mess, and it doesn't help when the band leader is a slopfest. Then he has Richie Scarlet on rhythm guitar, ie the Ace Frehley that didn't stop using drugs and alcohol [he literally looks like Ace, but with about 10 more years of substance abuse under his belt], acting a fool onstage similar to Gers of Maiden [though Gers is a bit of a lovable goof], a drummer whose timing is trying to make sense of the rest of the fucking old fogies in the group, and a nondescript bassist.

Metallica, compared to that, is pretty fucking decent. Granted, the tickets are pricier, but they wouldn't have 50k in attendance if they weren't worth it. They probably had a bad day like all of us.

Philip N and works0fheart like this.