First Metallica show a huge letdown

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by frogman81, Jul 17, 2017 at 5:46 PM.

1. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

So I went to see Metallica in Toronto last night... I don't really listen to them anymore, but I don't mind the "Now That We're Dead" track that's getting lots of airplay on satellite radio. I was big into them for the Black Album, and kinda coasted with them through Load/Reload. By then I was moving more into Pantera and Tool.

Anyway, I went in excited/open-minded, with this being a bucket list concert. My optimism slowly faded away, however. The sound was "ok" and I wouldn't expect much more from a baseball-stadium show, but the guitar tone, the visuals, the experience was overall pretty dull for me. The nail in the coffin was Unforgiven. Kirk sounded out of tune with James in the intro, and at times it seemed like they didn't have a click track or something because they were all venturing in their own direction timing-wise. I had happened to watch a youtube vid of that track on this tour before the show and it was also a mess. There was a weird group drum solo, a really fizzy high-gain bass solo, and some improvisational stuff that just didn't do anything for me. For the enormous budget, the visuals were mostly just closeups of the band. I was missing the way NIN integrates the visuals into the show.

I thought that maybe I just don't enjoy Metallica's music anymore, or maybe they've lost their "touch", or maybe I completely missed something? In the last couple of years I've really enjoyed Ghost, NIN, and Marilyn Manson in concert, so I don't think I'm just becoming a cranky old man...? Has anyone else seen the tour and felt the same/differently?

Wolfhorsky likes this.
  2. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

When I saw them last, I walked away with the same sentiment as you. Kirk was a mess, forgetting notes and missing others entirely, him and Lars were both clearly struggling with keeping in time, it was pretty weak.

Descent likes this.
  3. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

The only time I ever saw them live was on the Death Magnetic tour and my sentiments were very much in line with yours.

4. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

I caught them at the Chicago show and they weren't that bad. My expectations were pretty tempered as the set list left a lot to be desired (not a fan of anything past ajfa). Stadium acoustics always suck so that was a given. Lars has mailed it in for years so that was expected. Kirk was actually decent with no major f-ups. Of course, the wah pedal at every mic cracked me up.
    James is a monster and will probably always be my favorite rythym player.
    Decent show if nothing but for the nostalgia. These dudes are in their 50s so I can't get too upset.

5. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Sorry to hear that. I saw them on the Death Magnetic tour and it was one of the greatest performances I've ever seen; definitely ZERO mistakes by the band and they sounded amazing. The best part was they played almost everything off And Justice For All, lots of songs from Ride the Lightning, and also Master of Puppets. They only played about 3 songs from Death Magnetic, lol. James' voice sounded as good or better than on those original albums and they played tight AF. That was quite a while ago now though...

7. works0fheart

works0fheart Tike Myson

Odd. Maybe the stadium or something had something to do with it. I saw them recently on their Orlando date and they were awesome.

8. High Plains Drifter

High Plains Drifter SS.org Regular

Only time time I saw em was Damage Inc July of '86 w/ Cliff & Monsters Of Rock in '88. I can't imagine how much things have changed.

That sucks, OP...

9. M3CHK1LLA

M3CHK1LLA angel sword guardian

sorry to hear that.

my brother-in-law saw this tour when they were in dfw...he said it was great.

ive seen them in the past and it was on of the best shows ive been to.

10. Universe74

Universe74 SS.org Regular

So is Vai and I watched him play PnW flawlessly beginning to end live.

11. oracles

oracles Australian in Canda

Why? Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden have years on them and were/are still out there killing it with less mistakes than Metallica. Megadeth put on a better show, and Mustaine and Ellefson can't be far behind the Metallica guys.

AxeHappy likes this.
  12. Womb raider

Womb raider ESP Addict

Maybe other bands/guitarists do it better, but I don't judge shows solely on how flawlessly everyone plays. Metallica has always had major flaws for one reason or another and it's just magnified by age. Like I said, I give them a pass and it was a good show that was worth the $.

13. frogman81

frogman81 SS.org Regular

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that felt this way. I'm not trying to beat up on them too badly since they're basically "rock gods" and I'm not, but I'm surprised that it seems pretty easy to find pretty poor live performances like this one (though I think Kirk is mostly to blame here):

Having been out of the Metallica world for a decade or two, I'm surprised they still draw the insane crowds and money that they do. I just happened to come across this article like 2 weeks ago that blew me away https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...-selling_rockmetal_albums_of_2017_so_far.html (has anyone fact-checked this??)

It's a bit of a thread re-direction, but does anyone have a best-guess on what the secret sauce is that has kept them going so long and consistently? Do you think it is just that once your success reaches some critical mass, you can coast on it indefinitely?

14. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I think in the case of a genre defining band like Metallica, their huge initial impact from their earlier records pretty much cemented them in musical culture; they're certainly a household name when you ask the average joe about "metal" music. So to a certain point, I'd almost say yeah, there will always be people that will eat up whatever they pour out, and the same can be said for a lot of other bands of their status.

15. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I find few nostalgia acts 30+ years past their prime enticing - Diminishing returns, and all that.

I found out Roger Waters is playing a few minutes from my house this week, and that inspired me to listen to many of the classic songs he wrote and recorded. It didn't even enter my mind to go see his skeleton propped up by a female chorus:

And that was eleven years ago...These days, he can't even reach those heights.

I have a hard time feeling sorry for anyone who goes to see a bunch of old men expecting them to be anything else. That's like feeling let down after visiting your grandparents' urns with expectations of cookies and molestation.

GunpointMetal likes this.
  16. Humbuck

Humbuck SS.org Regular

I don't know what age has to do with any of this? If you listen to current Metallica board recordings, they sound pretty much like they always sounded. Remarkably so imho...for better or for worse maybe. Maybe you are expecting something they never were?

17. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Well here is a show from a couple of months ago... and they were spot on here:

Maybe they had a bad night. :shrug:

18. fps

fps Kit

Metallica haven't coasted at all. They're an incredibly hard-working band that still delivers for their fans live, and in the past decade they've released 2 records, played shows as diverse as Glastonbury and "in Antarctica", put on a festival, recorded an album with Lou Reed, and made a full-length feature film.

If anything, it's their risk-taking that has helped keep them relevant. They have changed their sound over time to attract different fans (that's right, thrash fans, Load and Reload were not for you, and lots of people who are not you really like them!), and their post-St Anger releases have actually managed to keep those fans from all eras happy. Death Magnetic and Hardwired are both incredibly solid records with far greater depth and work in them than most metal bands put out, and like Maiden they have an aggressive, yet melodic, sound which doesn't alienate classic rockers but pulls in new listeners.

Spaced Out Ace and FILTHnFEAR like this.
  19. potatohead

potatohead SS.org Regular

Do they play Unforgiven much live? They never used to, but maybe they do now, not sure. James always said he doesn't like playing it for whatever reason, so maybe that's why it was half-assed. I think they know they suck at playing it :lol:

I've seen them six times, including once on the other side of the world and I can't say I have ever liked their tone. They are coming here in about three weeks, but I don't think I am going to go. It's just all too big, it's in a venue where the sound is going to suck and there are going to be 50,000 people there. Unfortunately the time has passed for really enjoying them in concert, IMO. I'd rather go see Bodom a few weeks later at a 400 person venue for 1/4 the cost, and shows like that.

20. protest

protest SS.org Regular

They're Metallica, that's like asking why the Beatles have such staying power lol

My first show was this tour in Philly, and I had the complete opposite take away. It was awesome.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    works0fheart likes this.