First Ever Recording. Be gentle...

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by guitar_player4_2_0, Jul 4, 2013.

1. guitar_player4_2_0

guitar_player4_2_0 SS.org Regular

Hello all! This is me and my good friends first attempt at recording. I had to give it the obligatory silly name so excuse the title. I know it's terrible lol but please guide me in the right direction. Basically my friend and I both have garageband and we wanted to try our hand at recording. I programmed all the drums and mixed everything (if you can call it that) and he recorded the guitars. He did the guitars in one take (the wife was calling him for dinner) so please don't judge the playing. Basically we were just trying to throw something together to familiarize ourselves with the program. I tried to double track the guitars but when I copy and pasted the track one was much lower in volume, so one side is audibly lower. Any ideas why or how to fix? Also, bass drum is very weak due to it being the stock garageband samples, almost inaudible but trust me it's there. I only have my stock macbook pro speakers so the eq'ing is way off I'm sure. But please give me feedback and any pointers you may have, you all post amazing mixes and are so humble I'm kinda afraid lol. Thanks so much for looking!

https://soundcloud.com/mcoon1987/vaginal-circumcision

2. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

Sounds like a good start.

Drums could be louder and look into cutting some of the lows on the guitar track.

The song title is disturbing... :lol:

3. guitar_player4_2_0

Thanks for the input. I kinda got a cannibal corpse vibe from my friends riff hence the name lol.

4. Djentliman

Djentliman wants a diff name!

The guitars are really dark and too much bass.

also have two tracks running at the same time, one hard left and the other hard right.

+1 on the drums being a tad too soft!

Other than those issues, your off to a good start!

5. guitar_player4_2_0

It is a hard left and right pan, just with the aforementioned issues. Hard to tell. Guitars attributed to my laptop speakers. But thank you and I appreciate all comments guys!

6. Kurkkuviipale

Kurkkuviipale Another Sinking ....

You have some panning issues. You need to record two separate tracks, it's not enough to copy one track to two channels.

7. Djentliman

Djentliman wants a diff name!

If they are already hard panned, raise the right one in volume. I can't hear it at all.

Happy mixing!

8. Handbanana

Handbanana SS.org Regular

Its best to not copy a second track. Just do it manually otherwise you need to tweak the phase. If you want it to pop a little more compression would help out greatly. EQ is another story all together. The guitar tone sounds good though.

9. AlucardXIX

AlucardXIX Is Encircle

If you take that second track and nudge it very, very slightly it should open up the stereo image. You need to have the track offset just slightly, because when you actually double track something you're never going to have exact timing, which keeps things from having those phase issues.