First Bass tone test (Darkglass X Ultra)

Discussion in 'Bass Guitar Discussion' started by lewis, Jul 5, 2020.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

rowsi and c7spheres like this.
  2. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Fuckin righteous sir!

lewis likes this.
  3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thanks dude!!! :)

4. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

It's a cool tone but there doesn't seem to be any low end? Seems wild to have the bass sitting on TOP of the guitars in a mix, but you must know better than I do.

5. GenghisCoyne

GenghisCoyne im here to party

you heard a guitar track?

lewis likes this.
  6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

hahahahah what the?

there is no guitars on this.
    Was just Bass and Drums

also, the bass is a 4 string 35.5 inch scale fan fret in Drop F1 - so same register as guitar because I couldnt get F0 working properly on it

7. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

No, but with no low end on the bass like that it's going to sit on top of the guitars in the mix instead of filling out the bass frequencies. Which might be what OP is going for, but it seems like an odd choice to me.

stevexc likes this.
  8. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

As i explained above, the bass had to be in F1 not F0 because thats too low for the scale length to pull off. Therefore naturally, it sounds spankier and tighther because its in the same octave as the guitars.

anyhow, target style of tone is this (but i prefer more drive) -

9. stevexc

stevexc Contributor

What Jeph is getting at isn't that the bass is in too high of a register - it's that there is no bass frequency to the tone. It's 100% not a tone I personally would go for, but if that's what you like (and it is, given the link you posted) then go ham.

10. rowsi

rowsi SS.org Regular

I'll have to agree with others: The Bass does not realy sound like a bass. More like a heavily downtuned guitar. However, the playing is tight, I wouldn't be able to pull that off on a bass.

Further comments: The drums are much more present than the bass. Makes it feel like the drums are the actual main act in this piece rather than the bass sound. And in the part starting at about 1:06 the distortion produces some weird high pitched artifacts.

lewis likes this.
  11. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

will bare that in mind bro thanks. I may have had the High drive knob too high on the Darkglass pedal haha

believe it or not, this was a one take wonder of the track whilst I stood up playing it in my living room.

There was a couple of odd ding noises because I have the pendant lamps from Ikea in my living room, and I kept accidentally hitting the headstock onto the chords that hang off them to turn them in and out of being a sphere haha
    The ends of the chords are metal balls, so each time they hit the headstock, there were really prominent high noises too haha

also, ive only had this bass about 4 or 5 months and my first pedal, the Darkglass X Ultra, only arrived 2 months back.
    Im really new to bass and tones as Ive been a guitarist for 15 years.
    Probably why im gravitating towards dialing it in like its a guitar (except scooping mids)

12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

See if you can find reference stems and go from there. Bass like guitar is generally "how does it sound in the mix" instrument. I like a bunch of my bass tones solo, but when paired with GB drums and various guitars, the tone needs more work.

lewis likes this.
  13. binz

binz SS.org Regular

I think people typically split the signal. What you have here is a quite nice tone for the mid and high frequencies. If you send your raw DI signal to another track before passing the Darkglass, low-pass everything from 150Hz and run it through a "normal" bass amp you might get a phat tone as the Krosis guy you're referencing to. Like, what you have here is sweat, but its only have of the cake atm :)

lewis likes this.
  14. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

If he's using a darkglass he should be able to just set the blend at 50/50 distorted and dry, that'll go a long way towards filling out the bass frequencies.

lewis and stevexc like this.
  15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

the Darkglass I have for now is the X Ultra so as far as I know, I dont have a 50/50 wet/dry knob. What i can do is adjust the low and high separately on it.

What Im planning to do however, is get the B7K and the Radial 2:1 and have the B7K running clean and providing extra EQ stuff and this X Ultra tone in the OP soundtest, going together into the Radial, blending them however I want, then being summed together and going out as 1 output to FOH

16. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

I think you can get more low end from the X Ultra and still keep your tone tight as long as you keep the compression on the low band pretty cranked. There’s more low end in the video you posted, at least with the headphones I’m listening through.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

cool.
    So do you think i should keep the low compression knob maxxed at all times?

this is some stella advice. Thanks guys.
    I dont normally like 250 either on bass because I feel it makes it sound boxy so i usually either keep that set to default, or cut it slightly. Should i boost that and the low slider aswell or?

18. LordIronSpatula

LordIronSpatula A series of interconnected fortune cookies.

Not necessarily at all times, but that’s how a lot of pros seem to be setting it in demos. It doesn’t ever seem too extreme.

Super dependent on context. If there’s space between the guitars and kick drum at a given frequency, that’s often a great place to start. You can use a spectral analyzer to hunt for those frequencies but your ears should be the final judge. Keep in mind that emphasizing a low or low mid frequency that makes the bass sound worse to you by itself may actually make it sound better and more present in a full mix. 250 may well be one, but not necessarily. You’re actually on the right track experimenting with cutting frequencies to get a tight sound; lots of bassists assume cranking the low end will get them heard but really it conflicts with the kick and muddies the mix. I think you still have room extend your low end further.

For live use you also have to consider the effect of the room on low frequencies. I’ve had to make cuts anywhere between 200 to 600 to adjust for acoustics in live situations.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    lewis likes this.
  19. Hexer

Hexer Contributor

High mids are good to make a bass sound cut through in an aggressive, attacky way but as others have said: I think some more mid- and low-range would help it to actually make it fuller sounding. It should still be able to sound tight. Also there is some squeeky high frequency range that is very dominant in the sound. I'd try to locate that and get rid of it or a least tone it down.
    I don't know what options you DG Pedal has but try keeping the low end clean and crunching up the mid- and high-range. Especially with DG's signature sound (yes, I know the different models sound different) you should be able to get that metallic high presence while still maintaining a tight low-end.

lewis likes this.
  20. Hexer

Hexer Contributor

The bass sound from the Krosis video seems to be more even across the spectrum than your's. Definitely more mids and lows and somewhat more "crunch" or "growl" I'd say. That usually comes from some more midrange as far as I can say.

EDIT: Oh, btw: what kinds of strings are you using?