First 7 string

Robslalaina

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
edit: 1 more question. What strings should I buy, I see it is 25.5 scale length
I know these guys are pros and maybe you don't like their tone etc but Dino used 10-46 strings in B when he recorded Demanufacture with his ESP, Meshuggah had their Universes tuned to Bb, 9-52, when they recorded their early 7 string stuff. All of this to say that you may not need like 15-80 for D standard even though the 7321 is only 25.5".
:2c:

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I know these guys are pros and maybe you don't like their tone etc but Dino used 10-46 strings in B when he recorded Demanufacture with his ESP, Meshuggah had their Universes tuned to Bb, 9-52, when they recorded their early 7 string stuff. All of this to say that you may not need like 15-80 for D standard even though the 7321 is only 25.5".
:2c:
Maybe not. I’m about to try 11-52 in D standard on 22.5”. Will. It. Chug!?

wmheadbanger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Bridge is probably fine, just needs a decent setup. Any major brand locking tuners should be fine, I'd recommend the Gotoh SG381-MGs but any locking tuners from Gotoh, Hipshot, Grover, Sperzel, Planet Waves etc will do the job

Pickups wise, if you want something mean with some room for versatility, Duncan JB/Distortion or Dimarzio Evolution/Ionizer. Duncan Nazgul or Lundgren M7 if you just want aggression :2c:
The SG 381 from goto h needs drilling, Do you know something that doesn't need drilling.

Last edited:

7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Sweet, thats a great looking guitar. Id be happy to own it for sure!

I think the Ernie Ball Cobalt 10- 62 string pack would be a good place to start. I say the Cobalts because i think standard nickel strings suck, but thats just my taste. If you like normal nickel strings, you can get the standard Slinky's in 10-62 as well.

Custom strings can be cool, but have their own problems. I just order a custom stainless steel set from Curt Mangan and strung up a couple guitars with them. I would *NOT* recommend them. Half of the strings were dead right from the pack. This probably happens because the strings are basically stored in open air 👎. If i had to guess, i would say the other companies probably do the same thing.

Bridge and tuners should be fine, but if you want to upgrade, hipshot makes a bridge that is a direct replacement. But be careful, because the baseplates come in different thicknesses, and some may be too thick to achieve low action. Others around here would know which is which. There are lots of other options too, i personally bought the Gotoh 510-FX7 for my project, which I believe is also a direct swap for the 7321 bridge. Mines going on an unrouted body though, so I can not confirm. I did make sure it was the correct saddle width though (10.5mm) , since i am still using the 7321 neck.

Gotoh is the typical go to for aftermarket parts for Ibanez. One of their locking tuners will fit, just google the sizes of the new tuners vs the stock tuners.

7stringDemon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh, amd if you have a pencil nearby, get it super super sharp and color in the string slots in the nut. Get the bottom and the sides of the small channel. The graphite acts as a dry lubricant that stops the strings from getting stuck in the nut. This is probably why youre having tuning issues.

That, and the stupid way the previous owner strung it up. You want them on the bottom side of the tuner, going perfectly straight through the nut slots. He used too many winds on the wound strings too. Generally speaking, the less times the string goes around the post, the better it will stay in tune.

wmheadbanger

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Oh, amd if you have a pencil nearby, get it super super sharp and color in the string slots in the nut. Get the bottom and the sides of the small channel. The graphite acts as a dry lubricant that stops the strings from getting stuck in the nut. This is probably why youre having tuning issues.

That, and the stupid way the previous owner strung it up. You want them on the bottom side of the tuner, going perfectly straight through the nut slots. He used too many winds on the wound strings too. Generally speaking, the less times the string goes around the post, the better it will stay in tune.
Thanks my dude. You have a great eye for details. I didn’t really notice it until I got the guitar. Yes the strings are strung up the opposite way and my brain is being fked everytime I fine tune it, as I am used to turn the correct way. I have ordered the slinky (10-62s ) and I’m waiting it to be delivered this weekend. I kinda figured it out that the bridge and tuners are okay,now that I started playing it it is pretty much in tune - except sometimes, maybe it has to do with the old strings. I was planning to buy the “nut sauce” as I had great results with it with my previous FR guitar which I modded to have a non locking nut - cos I hate locking nuts in FR. Anyways I will try the pencil trick. I guess I won’t be modding it as it is too risky to add a new nut Without an luthier. Thank you and others for the tremendous help.