First 7-string Guitar Suggestions

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by 1nc1n3rat0r, Feb 1, 2020.

1. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

I am looking for suggestions for a 7 string guitar. I'm trying to stay roughly near a 1k budget, but I am willing to continue saving if there are suggestions for higher-end guitars.

I've been playing 6 string guitars (acoustic, electric, classical) for a number of years and am looking to expand my collection to include a 7 string guitar. As of recent, I mostly have been listening to metal / metalcore music and have been starting to listen to prog metal as well. Quite a few of these groups use 7 or 8 string guitars and I would like to start learning to play these types of songs.

For play styles, I am trying to continue building both my rhythm and lead playing.

I have a few requirements that I'm looking to fulfill:
    • Ergonomic - I really like the idea of a multiscale guitar, I like the fanned frets. I also play my guitars in a classical sitting position. I played a .strandberg* today and really enjoyed how light the neck was and the position that I was able to hold the guitar while sitting without a foot stand.
    • Multiscale - From my research, it seems like multiscale guitars provide good string tension for the lower strings while still maintaining playability for the higher strings.
    • Locking Tuners - This isn't a strict requirement, but it's a feature I'd like to have.
    • Ships to the USA.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a guitar that meets these specs? I've done a ton of digging around and have found myself gravitating towards something like a Kiesel Vader, but I'm not entirely sure having an expensive custom head-less guitar is the best route for my 1st 7 string.

Thanks everyone!

Attached Files:

2. AwakenNoMore

AwakenNoMore Wrong Handed

best bet is to try out as many 7's as you can, and find out what you do and don't like and go from there. It's taken me years of blindly ordering guitars to get a handle on what I do and don't like. (However I'm a lefty so this is pretty much the only way for me to figure it out).

I too am leaning towards a multiscale Kiesel Vader. Maybe this tax season.

LeviathanKiller and XPT707FX like this.
  3. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

It's going to be hard finding a Vader multiscale around 1k.

Ibanez rgd 71alsm and the schecter c7 elite multiscale are easier to find and try before buying.

4. aoresteen

aoresteen SS.org Regular

I am not the most knowledgeable as I have been playing 7 strings for only 6 years or so and my 7 string guitars are Squier Stagemasters. I would suggest getting a hard tail bridge. You can find nice used Ibanez 7 string guitars for $600 or less. Most 7 strings guitars are 25.5" scale but I have a pair of Ibanez AX7521 guitars that are 24.75" scale that I like.

Try out as many guitars that you can before you buy. Goodluck!

5. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

That's fair, I agree. I tried running to some local shops today to check out 7 strings, but there weren't many options. I was able to test out a Schecter C7 Demon and a RG8.

I enjoyed the feeling of the .strandberg*, the ergonomics were great and the fan was comfortable. The Schecter was okay, but the neck wasn't super comfortable. The RG8's 8th string was super floppy, but the neck was kind of comfortable.

Given the prices of some of the other decent looking multiscales I've seen online (Schecter C-7 MS SLS Elite, Ibanez RGD71ALMS, ESP LTD 1007 Multiscale), I am considering saving for something from Kiesel or Ormsby. Although, I'm curious if there are other brands that I'm overlooking that are worth checking out while I'm learning to play a 7 string vs 6 string.

6. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

Yes, I would be holding off on a purchase of a 7 string if I was going to purchase a Vader.

I've seen some complaints about the fan setup for the Ibanez model since the vertical frets lie at the 12 fret, resulting in larger fret sizes near the head stock. If I can try one of these out locally, it would be worth considering.

The Schecter looks nice as well. Do you have any experience it?

7. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

The older models like the rgms 7 have the 12th fret as perpendicular, the newer rgd has the 9th fret as perpendicular.

I've only tried the Schecter C-6 elite but should be identical to the C-7 quality wise. Very nice instrument, on par with the Prestige Ibanez line.

8. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

To be perfectly honest, a multiscale 7 as your first 7 string would not be a great idea. Learning to play a 7 on multiscale will seriously throw you off if you went to pick up another 7 so I would suggest just a regular 7 string instead. There are plenty of options available if you forget about the multiscale desire and focus more on neck shape. A PRS SVN will have a wide-thin neck but it's still pretty chunky - good if your hands are huge like mine. An Ibanez RG 7421 will have the standard fare of wizard neck and it's quite comfortable, or you could find a used prestige RGD2127Z. I'd actually recommend that guitar over anything else since you're like me and play in the classical position. The contours of the body make your right arm very comfortable. Jackson has some great necks as well but I wouldn't touch anything on the lower end.

If you're dead set on a multiscale then go with a Jackson.

This will be what you're looking for

Although, if you can forgo the multiscale neck, you should consider the new pro series dinky

And here is a reverb listing for an RGD2127Z

Emperoff likes this.
  9. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

Nope. I do admire you’re classic SSO recommendation of a used prestige tho :lol:

If you want a multi scale get a multi scale learning on it won’t throw you off you’re not gonna suddenly forget how straight frets work. The important thing to understand about multi scale though is that comfort is very closely related to the perpendicular fret, where the straight fret is on the neck with strandbergs it’s at the 7th I think and I find this very comfy, with others I can be the 12th and that’s a little bit more uncomfortable for me. I’d recommend buying from a store with a good returns policy. And I’d say go for the Schecter sls elite multi scale, I’ve had good luck with Schecter and their actual customer service is usually very good.

MajorMark likes this.
  10. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

It just so happens that for me, the reverse is true. Playing so long on a straight fret guitar has embedded muscle memory into my arms and hands that I don't often need to look at the neck to know where I need to end up. Playing on a multiscale throws that way off for me and I end up somewhere I didn't intend to be. This is why I don't recommend multiscales as a "first 7/first guitar".

The whole "used prestige" thing gets thrown around pretty often, however I really only ever use it in the case of the RGD2127Z since it's a fantastic instrument that can be had for a reasonable used price. One way or another, and more often than not, a used prestige will outperform any other instrument in the same price bracket.

11. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

I'm not too concerned about being thrown off by the multiscale. I played a .strandberg* yesterday, which was super comfortable and I didn't have any issues adjusting. Although, it felt like a pretty small fan. However, given the price differences and number of options for multiscales, I'm not entirely sure it's worth it.

I'll take a look and see if I can find any of those guitars locally to try out. If I can find a PRS SVN with the 26.5", I may consider it.

I took a look at the RGD on Reverb. Do you know if there are models without the Floyd Rose? I've had 1 experience with a Floyd Rose and it was awful, I'm more in favor of a fixed bridge, at least while I'm learning.

12. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

Has anyone had any experience with the Ormsby Hype GTR 7?

I found this listing on Reverb for $900 for a first run Ormsby Hype GTR 7 (/item/30335287-ormsby-gtr-hype-7-violent-crumble-violent-crumble). Seems like a decent price for a multiscale and meets most of my spec requirements (unsure about ergonomics). Anything I should watch out for? I've requested additional photos and info from the seller.

13. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

for that price...ya it's pretty.

just keep in mind that the gtr7 has a huge fan. you might not like it.

14. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

are you sure about this? I just looked on the website and it's all 12th perp

15. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

woops my bad, it still has the 12th perpendicular.
    I'm pretty sure the Schecter has the 9th as perpendicular.

16. Rollandbeast

Rollandbeast SS.org Regular

I had a goliath 7 wich has the same fan I think 25.5" - 27.8" and I sold it after a couple of months the fan was too extreme to me a lot of chords and lead stuff felt really weird to play ... ended up getting a jackson slat 7 ff wich has a 25.5 - 27 '' fan and it's a lot more comfortable to play IMO but i'm also looking to sell it ATM , I keep going back to my standard scale 7 (26.5/27'') guitars and find they feel and play much better IMO

17. Nicki

Nicki SS.org Regular

The RGD2127FX had a fixed bridge. There is also the much more expensive RGD2127UCS from the "Uppercut" line with a fixed bridge. However, people have noticed neck alignment issues with the FX and UCS, whereas the Z was basically bang on. So if you're going to go with a fixed bridge RGD make sure you look at the neck alignment. Also, there are RGD guitars in the Iron Label line as well as the Axion Label line, but apparently the Axions were not all that great.

Edit, Also this is also an axion label. Not sure if it would be worth it.

18. 1nc1n3rat0r

1nc1n3rat0r Member

Thanks everyone for the replies. I appreciate all of the suggestions.

After a bunch more research, I decided to order that 7 string Ormsby from Reverb.

Nik/ and c7spheres like this.
  19. TerpDudeMatt

TerpDudeMatt SS.org Regular

Great choice! I have Hype GTR 6, and I love it. The multiscale was not hard to get used to. I want to get a 7 next.

AwakenNoMore likes this.
  20. AwakenNoMore

AwakenNoMore Wrong Handed

Also have a GTR 6 I imagine 7 will also be awesome.