Fireball 60 Harley BEnton Vintage 212

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by neurosis, Feb 3, 2011.

1. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

So. I received the Benton 212 cab today and discovered that it has a switch to stereo. I am absolutely new to the head vs. cab world and after checking the instructions on the Fireball I used the first 8ohm output on the head into the 8ohm mono of the cab.

My question is. What is the stereo thing about? How would I go about connecting it (how many cables and where would I plug them on the Fireball 60 head?) like that and what difference in tone would it make? I assume the 8ohm mono is the two speakers in the BEnton engaged at the same time whereas the 16ohm is a single output, but why does it say stereo? I am super-confused.

This is my first head and cab setup, so bear with me. I tried looking up examples but couldn't fin any specific solution for this cab and head. Sorry if it's a bummer.

My intention is to know which is the best way to connect both these pieces of equipment without blowing anything up.

Cheers mates! :hbang:

2. WhiteWalls

WhiteWalls SS.org Regular

Stereo means that you can connect two amps to it and use the cab as if it were two separate 1x12 cabs, but if you only have one amp to connect to it you don't really have to worry about it, just set it mono to the right ohmage and you're set.

3. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

So. It has one 16 and another 8ohm setting. The sixteen says stereo and the 8ohm says mono. Currently I am plugging it into the mono. Would it make any difference if I plugged it into the 16? I am superlost with this.

4. WhiteWalls

WhiteWalls SS.org Regular

I can't find the manual at the moment (i have the g212 too) but i'm pretty sure that you have to use the mono 8 ohm input if the switch is on mono... the other input only works when you are in stereo mode

5. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

Ok. I'll leave it in the 8 mono in and 8 mono out for now. IF I find someone that can edplain this on the spot I will ask. Thank you man!

6. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

EDIT: Basically, for your set up now, you only need to keep it the way it is (8 ohm head ---> 8 ohm mono jack).

If you're only running one amp into it, you'd use the mono jack. Running another head into the other jack doubles the impedance of the cab.

Impedance FAQ

If you want to run two heads into it, you would make sure each head is set to 16 ohms and run one into each input. If you're only running one head, you set it to 8 ohms and run it into the mono input.

The other time this comes in handy is when you have an amp with stereo output for stereo effects :yum:

Or a Line 6 Vetta, which lets you run two totally separate rigs, and you could run one to one side of the cab, and one to the other side. You can also do things like get a stereo poweramp (which is basically two poweramps in one) and run two preamps into the same poweramp and cab.

7. BabUShka

BabUShka SS.org Regular

You can use the 16ohm stereo with 1 amp too, but that will work as a 1x12" cab with one jack connected only.
    If you want to use both speakers in stereo, you need two amps, or a stereo poweramp.

You're right => 1x12 V30 = 16 ohm, usually.
    2x16 in serie is 32. But your speakers are connected in parallell, that makes it 16ohm//16ohm = 16ohm(parallell)16ohm = 16*16/(16+16) = 8 ohm for both speakers :)