Fireball 100?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ProphetOfHatred, Apr 3, 2015.

1. ProphetOfHatred

ProphetOfHatred SS.org Regular

So I've heard a lot of great things about this amp, most seem to think it's a extremely good death metal amp. However, I've watched a few videos on the amp, and I honestly can't see how the description people use for the amp makes any sense. It's supposed to be extremely aggressive, yet all the videos I've heard make it sound like a really smooth and kinda neutral sounding amp, like the Ola video for it, it sounds so smooth and polished especially compared to the Savage video, which sounds brutal/aggressive to me, easily the best sounding amp I've ever heard. So is it just not my thing, or are the videos misleading?

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Really nice amp, but unless it's EXACTLY what you want you can get a lot of amp for almost two grand these days.

3. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

4. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

IMO amp demo videos are more often than not very misleading. Just too many factors to really draw a conclusion as to how it would sound with your own gear, and in the room live.

5. ProphetOfHatred

Yeah but usually the amp is made to sound MORE brutal in a mix/production, yet the Ola video doesn't.

6. Yianni54

Yianni54 SS.org Regular

Firstly, Ola and all the other youtube sensations add so much post processing you never can tell what the amp really sounds like raw. In other words what the amp will sound like in your bedroom or in your buddies basement when your practicing.

I've owned a Fireball. It's def. a great metal amp but IMHO for the price there is better. One thing I didn't like is the shared EQ between clean and lead channels. That's just a no-no at that price point. Seriously ENGL! That's something I would expect from an $800 budget head.

Some say ENGL amps are too compressed. Anyway, again it's a badass amp but with a shared EQ I just feel your money would be better spent elsewhere.

If I may offer a suggestion, for the same money you can get a PRS Archon 100 and IMO this is the hottest amp right now for metal. It has separate eq's and the clean channel is supposed to be really good. I just put one on order because everyone and there mother is on back order.

7. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

Ola describes his signal chain in the description of every video he does, and 90% of the time it's just a HPF/LPF.

However, I still wouldn't base my purchasing decisions on Ola's videos, because he is a mic placement fiend. He knows exactly what tone he wants to get before the amp is ever turned on. His tones tend to be thumpy, low-mids-heavy, and not very crispy in the high end, which is what you're describing.

As for the Fireball...every Kemper profile I've ever played of one, and every tone I've ever heard out of one, has sounded way too harsh and overgained to me. Just the way the amp is designed. You can get other, more versatile amps for the exact same price, like a PRS Archon or a used Savage.

8. karjim

karjim Set the World Afire

The Savage eats the Power/Fire for any kind of metal except the ultra grindcore death brutal stupid overdrive sound. I agree shared eq is a nightmare if you need two different sounds
    It so mean so raw so percussive ...in a band mix no match.

9. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Funny.

If you watch the Guitarist Magazine YT demo vid of the PB II, they played all kinds of clean & low-med gain crunch stuff with a Squire Tele and a SG.

They got murdered in the comment section below by metal heads for showing just how versatile that amp can be.

After watching that, I think the PB II pulls off better country, blues, and classic rock tones than certain 'acceptable' metal tones.

10. 155

155 SS.org Regular

I found the fb100 dosent cut well in a band mix...with mids up ect...but im used to a 5150...sounds really good but this could be a issue for you

11. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

Generally buying amps depends on location. The Engl stuff is awesome bang for the buck in EU because it is made here, while it seems to be pretty expensive in the US. I dunno exactly where the "Insane Asylum" is, but if you are in the US I would buy US made amps because you simply get more for your money.

12. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

I agree with this. For cheaper than the Engl, you can find an Peaveys, EVH 5153, Mesa Triple Recto, and around the same price you can find a Mark 5 Roaster, Uberschall, and probably more that I can't remember right now.

But honestly, I agree with Wakjob. The Powerball seems surprisingly versatile for an amp aimed at metal.

13. Sumsar

Sumsar SS.org Regular

^ Yup, the powerball does pretty much everything and it does it quite well. I have played jazz, pop, rock, hard rock, heavy metal and of cause the death and black metal that I actually brought it for on mine.
    The major question of cause is if you actually like the high gain sounds in it as it is somewhat different from most amps.

14. ProphetOfHatred

I do not like the sound of the EVH 5150 or the PRS Archon (especially for death metal lol) just curious on how others would describe their fireball 100 (not the 60 watt version)

15. Sepultorture

Sepultorture Murder Machine

played a FB100 through an orange, mesa and engl 4x12 both pro and xxl, and although they are all v30's, each cab has it's own flavour, given that, the FB100 is VERY aggressive.

death metal tones are easily dialed in, but you will always end up with a very low mid sound no matter how you dial in the amp. good thing is that this amp doesn't need a boost, infact a boost does nothing for it really, quite pointless throwing an OD infornt of that amp.

the shared EQ is a pain in the ass, but it's a one trick pony amp in the end, and for the price tag for this amp there's more to look at out there. look into the savage since you mentioned it, still a very aggressive amp with more flexibility

16. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metalâ„¢

The fact you say you don't like the archon sound for death metal only means you haven't played one. :coffee:

17. shred-o-holic

shred-o-holic SS.org Regular

I just traded away my FB 100 for a Randall Thrasher. People have rolled their eyes over the trade but I never liked the ENGL FB in a band mix. But the Thrasher does the job much better. The ENGL to me sounds good in a room. You can get the FB to cut I just never liked the high end. Very harsh to my ears. Most people who use ENGLs live and get lost neglect the mids and the presence control.

Here is the Thrasher in a band mix:

Here is the FB 100:

I realize not the greatest comparison but the FB isn't standing out so great in this case. I could have been louder in the mix on the second video. I hate my tone in video 2 and I hate the lame shaking effect/sound for that matter lol. The first Vid I pretty much bury my other guitarist who is using the same rig with the Thrasher lol.